L M S crimson lake / maroon in a spray

Best I can suggest is to have a look on Larry Goddard (Coachmann)'s thread and see what he uses.  I'd be more inclined to put red oxide under it, as I'd have thought the grey might give it a blue tinge.  That said, I'm sure I've read that the Midland used at least one coat of blue undercoat on their coaches.

Alternatively, try it with both undercoats on sample pieces and see which you prefer in daylight.

Well one Ratio four wheel brake coach built. Tip to self follow the part numbers when assembling under frame a bit of a fiddle and getting the wheels right. Better luck with the 3rd class coach. Rover damask  def looks the part pleased with that. Will post some photo's when i get it finished

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

A very useful tip.  Based upon the preceding posts, would I be correct in assuming that Rover Damask red over red oxide is good for LMS crimson (though perhaps this is not the right word?), as opposed to the maroon which, I seem to recall, was a post-war thing?  It certainly seems to look the part on the pre-1933 lined LMS coaches livery. 

Further, I had always understood LMS crimson to be an extension of Midland livery, so could I further assume that Rover Damask red over red oxide would be a fair representation of Midland livery?

I speak from a position of ignorance, so please make excuses!

• RMweb Gold

A very useful tip.  Based upon the preceding posts, would I be correct in assuming that Rover Damask red over red oxide is good for LMS crimson (though perhaps this is not the right word?), as opposed to the maroon which, I seem to recall, was a post-war thing?  It certainly seems to look the part on the pre-1933 lined LMS coaches livery. 

Further, I had always understood LMS crimson to be an extension of Midland livery, so could I further assume that Rover Damask red over red oxide would be a fair representation of Midland livery?

I speak from a position of ignorance, so please make excuses!

Hi there,

I thought I had said about this somewhere on here - but maybe not?

Ever since I discovered the Halfords range of acrylic cans I have been using this very combination for LMS Crimson Lake.

I have compared the results to a Jubilee in Crimson Lake and it is very close but slightly brighter.

I did not think to compare it against a Midland Red locomotive though.

You are correct though - LMS Crimson Lake is the colour derived from Midland Red - so the same combination of pains should give a reasonable likeness.

There are a couple of other colours in the Halfords range that I tried but didn't accept the results as being satisfactory.

Thanks

Hi there,

I thought I had said about this somewhere on here - but maybe not?

Ever since I discovered the Halfords range of acrylic cans I have been using this very combination for LMS Crimson Lake.

I have compared the results to a Jubilee in Crimson Lake and it is very close but slightly brighter.

I did not think to compare it against a Midland Red locomotive though.

You are correct though - LMS Crimson Lake is the colour derived from Midland Red - so the same combination of pains should give a reasonable likeness.

There are a couple of other colours in the Halfords range that I tried but didn't accept the results as being satisfactory.

Thanks

Thanks very much, Scottish Modeller.

I am not, at least at present, a modeller of LMS lines; however, my pre-Grouping interests will involve Midland coaching stock sooner rather than later, and my long-term GW project will involve painting a couple of LMS coaches in pre-1933 livery and also a couple of NPCs. 

Given all the various influences that affect colour on the prototype and the effect of light and scale, I have come down on the side of "looks right" over theoretical accuracy.  From what I have seen, the combination of paints mentioned certainly looks the part.  

The lined red/crimson liveries of the MR and LMS are stunning, and a great incentive for including such stock on any layout!

Regarding MR/LMS crimson lake - BR maroon, I cannot comment with authority on Halford's car colours. I have used cellulose paint since the 1960's mixed to match paint given to me from BR Derby works by the then storeman. When J T Keep's mixed the colour it was a truly rich crimson lake that required a purplish-brown undercoat. The locos painted for Kirtley800 of this forum carry it. My last batch was mixed by ICI before cellulose ceased to be supplied by this company in the UK. It is not as translucent but the colour is well within the accepted spectrum, and I admit to spraying it on top of Halfords Acid8 etching grey primer and not red oxide. A thin covering coat plus a finishing coat gives it the richness I require. Three coats and it starts to go rather dark. 

That said, I did purchase one of Halfords car aerosols a few years ago merely to test and I seem to recall it was called Rover Damask Red. It dried slightly lighter than my paint and it definitely did not have the same depth. If it is to be used on plastic, best to give the plastic a coat of 'Plastic Grey Primer' available from Halfords. This will act as a barrier.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Larry Goddard is the man to ask if you don't have Bob Essery's books, but I believe they were lined in the early days of the LMS, yes.

According to Essery, they were lined such, until the late 1920's (1928 springs to mind but my books aren't to hand to say for sure).

For some reason the style of lining on the model of the outside framed Milk van in post #9 is incomplete. It should form continuous panels with additional horizontal lining. Lining of non-passenger carrying vehicles probably ended when passenger coaches went over to simple lining after 1933.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

If it is to be used on plastic, best to give the plastic a coat of 'Plastic Grey Primer' available from Halfords. This will act as a barrier.

The regular Halfords primer (500ml cans) works well on plastic kits, I've gone through several cans of it with no detrimental effects. No need to pay extra for the "plastic" version. :)

• 5 years later...

HI, reviing this old tread for some fresh advise.

Rover Damask Red seems to be no longer produced by Halfords, would anyone suggest a different shade of maroon at Halford for 1920s/30s LMS.

Vauxhall Burgundy Red  is still coming up on Halfords, would that still be the closet in absence of Damask red.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Pete0018 said:

Vauxhall Burgundy Red  is still coming up on Halfords, would that still be the closet in absence of Damask red.

I use it for BR maroon - its nearer the bottom one of the three photos above. Certainly not a brighter looking red shade.

Edited by Hal Nail