Martin Finney retired

MPR

Not going there.

I did e-mail him asking that he keep us in the loop as far as he could, since there were quite a few disappointed people besides myself, but never received a reply.

Looks like the 7mm stuff will disappear.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If the original moulds won't work, is it possible to modify them by turning them upside down? Wouldn't that correct the direction problem? If a throat were cut out the bottom and a packing piece put into the old top? Is it now worth a try if the only other option is new moulds?

Just a thought!

Any body thought of changing the rotation of one of the moulding machines....it may not be that difficult. I am pretty sure though that the guys at brassmasters will be able to figure out a solution.

I found the comments interesting on their web site regarding the cost of kit production runs for the not so popular kits. I just hope that this doesn't includ the A1/A3 I would like to buy towards scalefourum time this year.

Or contact the original caster and get them to do them - it clearly worked for them on their machine

- but see their blog for 17 June to see why Brassmasters didn't pursue this rather obvious solution (together with a description of some of the technical challenges that Martin's moulds present).

Martin

That was my thought too

So, they buy a casting machine off a third party that can only cast parts from some items in their range, but not the rest. As a result they now do some casting in house - but still have to out source the rest.

That sounds like a sensible business plan to me.

Craig W

You could buy ABS and have a viable business AND and casting machine...

I can see the costs rising with every single hour that passes. When Brassmasters took on the Finney 4mm range, I don't think they ever dreamed they would have to pay to take over ABS as well....!

As Brassmasters in their blog suggest that their need to change casters was due to the retirement of Martin's original supplier, so quite possibly his machine could have been acquired? The latest blog entry suggests the existing moulds are useless without it, and too expensive to replace.

So when existing casting stocks are depleted, that may be another range gone :(

I can see the costs rising with every single hour that passes. When Brassmasters took on the Finney 4mm range, I don't think they ever dreamed they would have to pay to take over ABS as well....!

There's more than just ABS who can still do castings.....and make new moulds too, which is the only option realistically.

As Brassmasters in their blog suggest that their need to change casters was due to the retirement of Martin's original supplier, so quite possibly his machine could have been acquired? The latest blog entry suggests the existing moulds are useless without it, and too expensive to replace.

Buying the machine is one thing, if it is indeed fit for further use. What you cannot buy is the experience/expertise to use it safely.

New moulds are not as expensive as you suggest

I do think this may be blown out of proportion. They should have the masters therefore identify what goes with what to start. Martin would not have handed over a bag full of un labeled bits and say here. His range was too extensive to go that. The reasons why the masters all end up in the various moulds there may be a long and inter winding story. May be brassmasters should ask the question.

I'm with horse I hope this is not going to make the entire range too expensive!

Who's to say that the ABS machine spins in the right direction and is able to use the existing moulds?

Brassmasters blog does not state the moulds are ' too expensive to replace' where has this come from? Todays blog suggests that Brassmasters are actually delivering some of the masters to manufacturers with the intention of getting some new moulds made for the whitemetal components.

Archived