Ragtag

I can only say that you have been very unlucky - I have bought several kits and other items from Charlie and never had a single problem. The troubles he is having in supplying kits right now are due to a fire at their premises and all the kits are in store. He hopes to make them available again in the new year, but says that the kit market (generally, not just his business) has declined dramatically over the past five years, which may deter him from producing any more. What with Replica being unable to supply any of their superb motorised chassis for the moment, this is not a good time.

I had been tempted to try other EMU kits in the interim and contacted Britannia Pacific by email with some pre-purchase queries. Despite a follow up email, I never heard a sausage back after several months. I don't know how they manage to sell any products, but it is apparent that they do, although not to me. They lost around £600 because of that.

Surely, and with respect to the guys that have had problems, the sheer ammount of customers who buy off Charlie, there are going to be hiccups/issues every now and then?

Every product sold in this country is going to have customers who praise it and it's manufacturers, along with those who have had problems. It's the nature of providing to the general public. How many times to do you here of someone who has bought a particular type of car for instance, and have had a bad experience, whilst others have had completely trouble free motoring?

Charlie is no 'fly by night' character - I have bought countless kits from him over the years and have never had any problems whatsoever. He always enjoys a good bit of banter at shows and I am sure that he is doing his best to sort whatever problems he has had, despite the severe adversity the fire caused.

I've even known him to buy a round, so it's not true that he's so tight he gargles with disinfectant then licks his armpits instead of using deoderant........

cheers

Andy

• Like 1

Jeff

Send Charlie a PM and another email, it may be that with all the problems after the fire he has accidently forgotten you. If no replies within a reasonable time add another message on this thread. There are strict distant selling rules in the UK which I guess you can enforce, hopefully it will not get that far

I do seem to be having some communication issues over the last nine months with DC kits. Still trying to seek an answer in regards to an order from last year.

Hard to resolve from the other side of the world.

Cheers

Jeff

Send me what I owe you (to charlie@dckits.co.uk)  as I have found the plastic bits but still looking for the etchings! I think I have them somewhere BUT cannot be sure.  Charlie

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wanted to chip in, I've been badgering Charlie for a couple of DEMU kits and although no luck with them being in stock I've had replies within the half hour - can't ask for more than that :)

I didn't know about the fire until reading this so that all makes sense. Sorry to hear about this, hope the build work is progressing well and I look forward to some kits coming out of storage when the time comes.

• 8 months later...

Does anyone know if DC Kits are back in action after the fire selling their plastic EMU and DMU kits?.

Regards

Nick

DC Kits are just fine, but no progress has been made on the kits, this is for many reasons!!  

One/  Stock to replace damaged/low stock items is over £6000.

Two/  Very very busy with all our other projects.

Three/ The kit market has changed dramatically in the last 5 years due to RTR.

So the sad news is that currently we do not have the incentive to spend lots of time on what is sadly a quickly declining market, this year I probably could have sold a about £1000 worth of kits, but an injection of time and £6000 is required to do this. Currently we are developing a RTR 2 Car DMU at a cost of £150,000.

Charlie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What is available at the moment as I want to order some parts?

Hi Martin,

The best way would be for you to send a list of 'Wants' to Charlie.

Then - when he has time and opportunity - he can let you know what he can and cannot supply.

However - don't expect this to be a fast process as he has so much going on already.

You have to bear in mind that a lot of what he has going on is a lot more time critical and important due to it's financial implications....

I dare say if you were to put a list up here of your wants - then you may find other members are willing to fill your needs.

Thanks

There does seem to be a reasonable demand for DC Kits, more so than Charles realises. I can sympathise with that as in fairness to him the kits were very well designed.

If people really want a return of DCK then those people could always get together and wave a wad of notes under Charles nose and see if he will sell the tooling and production rights.

does this mean that you will be running down the stocks of what you have left and then that will be that for the range of kits?

• Like 1