Class 71 loco scanning get together

DJM Dave

Hi guys,

Things are progressing nicely with regards to pledges for the OO gauge class 71.

I'm now looking, if present take up rate of pledges continues, towards a date to hold the laser scanning at Barrow Hill.

Now unfortunately the scanning company can only do a weekday, but I'm just getting a feel for those that would come.

Please note that it won't be as extravagant as the recent Shildon scanning, but for those that didn't go to that it will be a fascinating insight into what scanning does, and how it all works.

You should be able to see the scan on the laptop within 5 minutes of completion.

I'll post this on my website and in the magazines when I get a date firmed up, but wondered who amongst the pledgers might be interested in attending.

And don't worry if you say yes, but then can't, as it is a week day after all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Now that is a novelty and one that ,for me at any rate ,is accessible.Thank you for the invitation.Such openness wins a lot of friends.

Tentatively...put me down for two places.

A new experience for one who remembers the prototype when it was first introduced.....the Brunswick Green days.

Regards.Ian.

Oops....should have read more clearly....haven' t "pledged" .....now where do I "sign the pledge" (fat chance of that) or pledge the oath of allegiance.

• RMweb Gold

East Midlands is the one that can cope with intercontinental flights.747's do use it regularly.It is then a quick trip....roadworks permitting up the M1 toBarrow Hill. A possible glitch ATM is the chaotic state of the arrivals hall which on busy periods simply isn't coping,despite heroic efforts by UK Border Control,....some of the most helpful people around

I had an experience of that a week last Sat.,flying in from Girona.We have new scannable passports,so avoided the worst of the queues

One of the new machines wasn't functioning. In the luggage reclaim,the carousel was at a standstill.....luggage strewn all over the place ..stopped awaiting the owners to reclaim theirs and to clear the jam at Border Control.

The good thing is that the car park is within walking distance and I can be home in 20 minutes

I think you'll find that all the airports can 'cope' with intercontinental flights and 747's. Except Sheffield. We closed it in 2008.

If you mean all the UK regional airports, then I doubt that they can.

A 747 might be able to land on some of those with shorter runways; but unless they took all the seats, and any other removable internal non-essential items, out of the aircraft while on the ground, I doubt that it would be able to take off again. At least, not without taking out all the ILS equipment at the far end of the runway.

Keeping it relevant and getting back to the topic at hand, that 160k could buy approx. 690 Class 71s at the standard RRP. Or 773 at the Kickstarter price!

See Dave, we do keep it relevant (in a round about way!).

All the best with the scanning party Dave :locomotive:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

If you mean all the UK regional airports, then I doubt that they can.

A 747 might be able to land on some of those with shorter runways; but unless they took all the seats, and any other removable internal non-essential items, out of the aircraft while on the ground, I doubt that it would be able to take off again. At least, not without taking out all the ILS equipment at the far end of the runway.

One word. Kemble. 4 further words. Land, but nothing else.

• AY Mod locked this topic

Archived