RMweb

Hornby king

B15nac

Oh if only our politicians and civil servants would heed that advice

They do....Some are Dukes and live in Granges, Manors or Castles, and many have constituents in Cities and Church wards. They're all Saints even if we don't regard them as Stars, but few are of the Bulldog breed or whatever you Collett. All work in the Corridors of power and while some are quite Open, others are complete Bowenders. It's the Great Westminster Regime.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

They do....Some are Dukes and live in Granges, Manors or Castles, and many have constituents in Cities and Church wards. They're all Saints even if we don't regard them as Stars, but few are of the Bulldog breed or whatever you Collett. All work in the Corridors of power and while some are quite Open, others are complete Bowenders. It's the Great Westminster Regime.

Are you on drugs by any chance?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

More than likely it's the factory getting carried away and adding parts they're not supposed to.

As Hilux says it's easy to remove..

Brief update, I've just started work on a donor King that will soon be gracing these pages - in its new guise. The conduit comes off very easily and cleanly - the brackets for it are glued into holes on the underside of the running plate. So no marks or holes to fill on the side of the running plate.

Agreed,  Was gloss, satin or matt used, Coachmann, (and varnish to make glossier if not gloss used)?

Apologies...I missed this at time. I always spray with gloss cellulose and tone down last of all with clear cellulose sprayed on with plenty of air to give a satin finish. Only wagons do I add matting agent to paint.

Brief update, I've just started work on a donor King that will soon be gracing these pages - in its new guise. The conduit comes off very easily and cleanly - the brackets for it are glued into holes on the underside of the running plate. So no marks or holes to fill on the side of the running plate.

Very useful bit of information which deals comprehensively with the fears which I raised in my post number 846. Many thanks.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

I have been following this thread for some weeks as I was contemplating getting a King.  Received my Hornby King 6002 for Christmas and at £104 from Rails is a steal.  In my view the detail is better than that on the Castle.  The running quality is king class and at both slow and line speed pulls 8 Hawksworth coaches without a pause.  The colour does not bother me although that on the Castle appears to be right.  However when it's lightly weathered I wont be able to differentiate.  Just needs the sound chip fine tuned.

Mike

Hi this may sound daft but to save me having to read all 37 pages of this thread (its very late) can anyone tell me if there are any major problems with the Hornby King class? I've looked at one or two on a bidding site, the  'King James II' looked good...but.

As always any help is very welcome.

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the TTS Sound decoder stuffing itself on my R3370tts, there has never been any issues with it since being a normal R8249 decoder. The same with my R3377 Locomotion Models King. Very powerful motors and capable haulers.

• RMweb Gold

There have been a lot of elictrical issues (poor quality wiring leading to short circuits particularly on DCC). Particularly with the king James modelm(I've had it happen with 2 of them and there are at preset 2 others on here who have written about the same thing.). If you are fitting dcc, make sure you check the loco is fully isolated after removing the 8pim plug before putting a chip in. (My pair carried on driving!)

Horn has will repair the issue though

TTS version BR green £109 at Rails of Sheffield bit of a bargain in my book (the book of expensive adult toys)!

https://railsofsheffield.com/Hornby-r3384tts-br-4-6-0-king-george-i-6000-king-class-late-br-with-tts-sound-r3384tts-Hornby-JJJA29908.aspx

Non TTS versions. £99quid but where is the fun in those.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by reevesthecat

I had three Kings through my hands over Christmas all with rub marks on the top of the boiler behind the chimney.  Perhaps I have too high standards.  The models didn't all come from the same shop although one supplier told me that there was a fault with Hornby's packaging and that all his stock was marked, some to a lesser degree than others.  I still have one of the models and am getting used to living with it. 

I also wonder whether there is an issue with the recesses for the brass axle bearings in the chassis. Two of the models were not rock steady on a level surface and could be rocked back and to using the centre driver as a pivot.  I rectified the problem by making the groove for the centre bearing deeper.  The problem came to light when the 'new' King would not haul the same rake of coaches up and around the layout as King Edward VIII bought this time last year.

Regards

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

The problems I found on two Kings were the same......Coggy running at slow speed when setting off on DCC (fitted with Locoman King sound decoder and a Digitrains sound decoder). The TTS sound is rubbish for any serious usage.

It's not for serious usage I just like to play!

Cheers

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The problems I found on two Kings were the same......Coggy running at slow speed when setting off on DCC (fitted with Locoman King sound decoder and a Digitrains sound decoder). The TTS sound is rubbish for any serious usage.

My model 6002, is a beautiful runner from dead slow to top speed and now fitted with a LokSound decoder (my sounds).  It really looks the part.

Mike

My first one was sitting on the front two driving wheels with the rear one a good 1mm in the air, the 2nd is better but still suffers the same just like you noted above.

How much work is involved in filing out the bearing slots?  sounds like a job i need to do

Thanks

Edited by Tankdave

Hello Dave

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't think that I would be the only person to have noticed!

.How much work is involved in filing out the bearing slots? ..

In my case it was only the 'narrow bearing' that seemed to be affected.  I thought at first that it might just be paint blocking the slot.. I hope Coachman is not reading this but I just used a little screw driver, the same width as the slot for the bearing and scraped the paint out of the slot and then applied a bit more pressure and continued to scrape out some of the Mazac casting.  The Mazac was very soft and after some gentle scraping and a couple of trial runs  I deemed it a satisfactory result.

There is another thread here on RMweb disecting Hornby, I would simply say that I think that I have had more than my fair share of duff models this last twelve months..

Regards

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines