Hornby king

B15nac

Well, I hesitate to say, as I have had exemplary service from them in the past, but they are based in Cornwall.....

I think a phone call is in order in the morning

Mine came from there and runs a dream ! I think the problem stems from the Manufacturer NOT the retailer. 

Thanks.

The really strange thing is that for a split second with the controller one way it looks as if it wants to go forwards, then goes backwards. Flip the switch on the controller and it goes backwards straight away.

I suppose I'll have to get it tested on DCC - anyone near Dudley (West Midlands) with a DCC setup?

I'm in Stourbridge with a Dynamis DCC controlled layout so if you are stuck drop me a PM .

Pete.

• 3 months later...

The next batch of King's has hit the stores with R3408 GWR King Edward V.

From the  Rails of Sheffield photo it looks like they have been correctly produced with the Double-Red route availability discs.  Interestingly, not shown on the photo on the Hornby site so they must have read some of the reviews that commented that this was missing on R3331.

The shade of green still looks a tad insipid though.

Edited by KGV

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

R3409 King William IV (BR Green, Late Crest), now showing in stock at Hornby

Or R3332 Hornby King Class Steam Locomotive number 6029 named "King Edward VIII"  for £50 less at Kernow plus the price of a set of etched plates for the name of your choice :)

• RMweb Gold

Or R3332 Hornby King Class Steam Locomotive number 6029 named "King Edward VIII"  for £50 less at Kernow plus the price of a set of etched plates for the name of your choice :)

Or wait about 6 months and see how much Rails and Hattons put them up for in one of their "Sales"

• RMweb Gold

Or wait about 6 months and see how much Rails and Hattons put them up for in one of their "Sales"

It doesn't quite work like that as they would then be selling them for less than they paid for them.  Sensibly they should buy very few to start with (if any) and then wait for Hornby to have another warehouse clearout - at which point they can buy them cheaply enough to flog them off at £50 below RRP.

But as Mike Parkin said - why bother?  Buy one from Kernow plus a set of etched plates.  The only thing you might have to worry about (assuming you care that much of course) is getting the correct detail for period modelled - I've been though every photo I could find of one particular engine to check if the detail matches my 'let's save £50' bargain from Kernow for the period/depot allocation which I want, which saved buying new buffers.  Simples buy & rename.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't quite work like that as they would then be selling them for less than they paid for them. Sensibly they should buy very few to start with (if any) and then wait for Hornby to have another warehouse clearout - at which point they can buy them cheaply enough to flog them off at £50 below RRP.

I don't think it was the easiest to rename, with that raised lip around the edge of the nameplate meaning you can't overlay the new plate easily. So it's a choice between careful filing off the lip, or removing the whole splasher and reliving the replacement.

Though I am thinking about commissioning Railtech for some 3D transfers for my new king names which keep the raised surround of the Hornby tooling

That said, with first release GW models now selling at around the 100£ mark I'm tempted to get another

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't quite work like that as they would then be selling them for less than they paid for them.  Sensibly they should buy very few to start with (if any) and then wait for Hornby to have another warehouse clearout - at which point they can buy them cheaply enough to flog them off at £50 below RRP.

But as Mike Parkin said - why bother?  Buy one from Kernow plus a set of etched plates.  The only thing you might have to worry about (assuming you care that much of course) is getting the correct detail for period modelled - I've been though every photo I could find of one particular engine to check if the detail matches my 'let's save £50' bargain from Kernow for the period/depot allocation which I want, which saved buying new buffers.  Simples buy & rename.

I think both Rails & Hattons, seem to have a very different trade agreement with the big H to other merchants. A number of this year's releases have already ended up in the bargain/sales bin - the GWR Heavy Tanks and S15's are prime examples.

As for the King you can pick Edward VIII up for under £100 - if you know where to look ;)

They are very easy to rename, plates/splashes come off fairly easily and a little work with a file gets rid of the raised lip. It actually takes longer to remove the splashers on the etched replacements!

• RMweb Gold

They are very easy to rename, plates/splashes come off fairly easily and a little work with a file gets rid of the raised lip. It actually takes longer to remove the splashers on the etched replacements!

How did you remove them? I have a King and a Castle both needing replacement names which I have been struggling with.

Prise metal splasher front forward to break glue then upwards to release tab from slot in running plate. I snip off the ends of the Hornby nameplate so that they wont show behind etched nameplates, but leave plenty to act as a strong backing plate. The Halls and Grange are basically similar.

• RMweb Gold

Prise metal splasher front forward to break glue then upwards to release tab from slot in running plate. I snip off the ends of the Hornby nameplate so that they wont show behind etched nameplates, but leave plenty to act as a strong backing plate. The Halls and Grange are basically similar.

Depending on how much glue they've used, they sometimes don't need a lot of prising!

Stars, Royal Scot's, Patriots, B17's (there may be others) - also use the same one piece splasher/nameplate/plinth arrangement

Granges are different, as the plates and plinths are one piece (plastic not brass) and are mounted on the splasher using a plug and socket arrangement.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I will give that a try once I receive my king plates.

The Castle my have to wait given I keep thinking about buying the 2017 release to do Nunny Castle that I was going to rename from Wellington (with a tender swap). Instead thinking of Spitfire so I don't have to worry about the 'Castle Class' branding...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Castle my have to wait given I keep thinking about buying the 2017 release to do Nunny Castle that I was going to rename from Wellington (with a tender swap). Instead thinking of Spitfire so I don't have to worry about the 'Castle Class' branding...

I just did exactly that.

I converted a 5053 body to 5029 Nunney castle in its 1960s late logo / single chimney form, by swapping the tender / loco chassis from a Penrice Castle.

I removed the nameplates prior (and have them in a box), they pretty much fell off.

post-20773-0-80636200-1471533681_thumb.jpeg

post-20773-0-46804300-1471533690_thumb.jpeg

post-20773-0-76132800-1471533699_thumb.jpeg

post-20773-0-75139900-1471533712_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

R3409 King William IV (BR Green, Late Crest), now showing in stock at Hornby

....and perpetuating the error of the spurious conduit attached to the running plate on the driver's side of the loco. These were never fitted to the Kings before their 1962 withdrawal. Hornby have been fooled by preserved examples which have had this conduit fitted in the preservation era to accomodate contemporary signalling requirements.

They correctly omitted this feature on the model of 6000, which remains more or less in 1962 condition, so it is, to say the least. disappointing  that  they have repeated this mistake on this model

Colin

• RMweb Gold

....and perpetuating the error of the spurious conduit attached to the running plate on the driver's side of the loco. These were never fitted to the Kings before their 1962 withdrawal. Hornby have been fooled by preserved examples which have had this conduit fitted in the preservation era to accomodate contemporary signalling requirements.

They correctly omitted this feature on the model of 6000, which remains more or less in 1962 condition, so it is, to say the least. disappointing  that  they have repeated this mistake on this model

Colin

More than likely it's the factory getting carried away and adding parts they're not supposed to.

As Hilux says it's easy to remove..

• RMweb Gold

Make sure the loco you are buying has the correct front end (cover over the inside cylinders)

post-8647-0-33731200-1471682437.jpg

Disappointing yes but easily removable

I have to confess that I am not a "hands on" modeller but surely at least some touching up of the paintwork would be required following removal of the conduit (even assuming it could be removed cleanly)? This may be straightforward to you experienced modellers but terrifies the likes of a ham fisted amateur such as myself ! I did in fact draw this error to Hornby's attention some months ago in relation to their model of 6029.

Despite my comments above I have to say that, overall, this is a fabulous model and one for which I would have given my eye teeth twenty, or thirty years ago

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Make sure the loco you are buying has the correct front end (cover over the inside cylinders)

attachicon.gifIMG_0861.JPG

I haven't seen this style in single chimney form ? Have they done it, in non-limited edition format ?

Its a trade off of either a repaint, very expensive conversion or an incorrect top.

That said if doing as preserved, theres no escaping that huge mechanical lubricator (I read somewhere is off 7027) added sometime in the last 5 years on the left side, and the PKP air pump on the right side, air pipes, electric pipes on the loco and the storage / gsmr boxes on the tender).

ignoring some other details (pipes, handrails, steam pipes etc), as part of this thread, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92697-Hornby-castle-class-differences/ and just focussed on the chimney / cylinders, for the newly tooled versions of the castle, Ive looked over:

4073 Caerphilly Castle - R3237 Single Chimney, curved sides, wrong livery (Great Western 3500gl tender)

5011 Tintagel Castle - R2848 Single Chimney, curved sides, wrong livery (Great Western Collett tender)

5043 Earl of Mount Edgecumbe - R3301 Double Chimney, Stepped top (BR early / Hawksworth Tender)

5053 Earl Cairns - R2822 Single chimney, flat top (BR early / Hawksworth Tender)

5068 Beverston Castle - R2849 Single Chiney, flat top (BR early / Collett Tender)

5075 Wellington - R3105 Single chimney, flat top, wrong livery ( GW / Hawksworth Tender)

7007 Great Western - R2958 Single Chimney, stepped top (Appears Correct loco body version ) but is a very rare limited edition, would need a GW crest removing off the splasher. (BR Early / Hawksworth Tender)

7023 Penrice Castle - R3118 Double Chimney, Stepped top (BR Late / Collett Tender)

7029 Clun Castle - R2994XS Double Chimney, Stepped top (BR Late / Collett Tender), DCC Sound.

7034 Ince Castle - R2850 Double Chimney, Stepped top (BR Late / Collett Tender),

7036 Taunton Castle - R2986 Freeman Duchy set Single chimney, flat top (BR early / Collett Tender)

7037 Swindon - R2852 Single Chimney, stepped top (BR Late / Collett Tender), would need a GW crest removing off the splasher - appears to be the best one to use but is a very rare limited edition.

as for suitability, ranking would be (inc cab handrails, pipes and cab windows).

1. 7037 - correct style body, & tender, remove a crest (but this prototype could cost you over £200 notes !)

2. 7007 - correct style body, & tender, remove a crest (but this prototype is also over £150 notes !)

3. 5053 / 5068 / 7036 - almost correct body

and for tenders:

1. 7037 - correct style body, & tender, remove a crest (but this prototype could cost you over £200 notes !)

2. 7023, 7034 or 7029 (note 7029 is a sound tender).

My conversion cost: £80 for Penrice Castle, £20 for 5053 body, £10+ change for Fox Nameplates and sold the redundant Penrice body for £25.

to come of course is Hornbys 5051 R3454 Dryswyllyn Castle, but who knows how that will appear, but the artwork suggests Single Chimney, curved sides, wrong livery (GWR Collett tender but correct handrails)

I am thinking my Tintagel Castle might become 4079 at some point.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Yes I'm aware of that, but the one chosen by Hornby is No.5076. No.5076 received the name when No.5051 was renamed Earl Bathurst, and Drysllwyn Castle subsequently passed to No.7018 when No.5076 was renamed Gladiator.

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

Yes I'm aware of that, but the one chosen by Hornby is No.5076. No.5076 received the name when No.5051 was renamed Earl Bathurst, and Drysllwyn Castle subsequently passed to No.7018 when No.5076 was renamed Gladiator.

Still the wrong one for nunney castle, in BR livery either way.

Hornby seems reluctant to do a single chimney late crest castle in any form. That said, it was the staple diet for many years prior on the old tooling, though that was the norm for the class.

An easy one to do would be 4082 Windsor castle, early crest collett tender, photographs show it with curved, flat topped and stepped versions. Though admittedly one variant was that it swapped identities with 7013 Bristol Castle in 1952.

Wasn't there a castle with an 8 wheeled collett tender at one point ?

We seem to have strayed a bit from a King however.

Edited by adb968008