Peco sleeper spacing

Now I know there's going to be a long line of people telling me I should have used the search engine but when I tried it came back with 1220 options and after wading through the first 100 and still not finding the answer can any one tell me if I cut the web on 00 Peco streamline and reposition the sleepers what gap should there be? A general generic figure will do not what company, what area, what period or what time of the month it is just a general idea please. Thanks Steve

• RMweb Gold

Now I know there's going to be a long line of people telling me I should have used the search engine but when I tried it came back with 1220 options and after wading through the first 100 and still not finding the answer can any one tell me if I cut the web on 00 Peco streamline and reposition the sleepers what gap should there be? A general generic figure will do not what company, what area, what period or what time of the month it is just a general idea please. Thanks Steve

I gave up with Peco and now use Exactoscale. The easy way to do it is 24 sleepers per 60ft length which for Exacto is 3 x 8 sleeper frets.

I don't want to get into a discussion on the merits of different makes of track or what looks better with what I've got to much invested in Peco track to start buying new, I just need the basic sleeper spacing that I've seen on here before but cant find now.

I am trying to solve this at the moment - with all the Peco track that is in the cupboard.

With regard to the sleeper spacing tool, the link to PH Designs did not work. I found it here.

http://www.phd-design-etchings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=130

The other concern I had is with payment methods. I may have missed it but it appears you have to submit the order to find out how to pay.The only method mentioned in advance is Cheque which I prefer not to use. Some more information in advance would be helpful.

Having said all that the other matter with spacing is that it is different at rail joints. I am modelling a military railway and the relevant guide specifies 2ft 8in centres except at joints where it is 2ft 4ins and 2ft 0ins under the joint.

I will let you know how I get on.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Having said all that the other matter with spacing is that it is different at rail joints. I am modelling a military railway and the relevant guide specifies 2ft 8in centres except at joints where it is 2ft 4ins and 2ft 0ins under the joint.

That is already taken care of with the Exacto as the spacings reduce at the joints.

• RMweb Gold

Part of the problem with Peco is that the width of the sleepers is narrow (not the length accross the rails, the width), so if you go for 24 sleepers per 60 foot length, the gaps between the sleepers are too wide. Visually, about 4.5 mm looks ok, but the better option is still SMP / C&L / Exactoscale. Hence the ongoing debate about 'better' 00 track & the need for matching pointwork.

Have a look at this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55620-peco-code-75-sleeper-spacing/ - only 2 pages compared to some very long threads which this subject has attracted! :O

Quick and easy for me. I cut the web underneath, then use a wooden coffee stirrer (MacDonalds etc) as a spacer. Looks better than the original Peco. Prototype spacing differred along the track panel and with different companies and eras, I remember a P4 article in a mid-1960's MRC giving details.

Stewart

Hi,

For concrete Sleepered Track it should be 26 sleepers per 18m of CWR, with Wooden and Steel Sleepered track it should be 26 sleepers per 18m length as in the diagram below:

post-7271-0-21589200-1412015306.jpg

The data is taken straight from Railway Group Standard GC/RT/5015 'Track Standards Manual - Section 5: Track Support Systems' (http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Railway_Group_Standards/Infrastructure/Railway%20Group%20Standards/GCRT5015%20Iss%201.pdf)

Simon

I don't think there is a simple answer to this question and I would suggest that the best option is to simply space the sleepers at the distance that looks best for you. One thing is for certain, Peco sleepers are too close together and they need to be set at a wider spacing to look more acceptable.

I would avoid setting the distance between the sleepers at the scale distance for 4mm scale for then the sleepers will appear to be too far apart due to the narrower OO gauge. If you look at C & L flexible track the sleepers in their OO gauge track are closer together than in either their EM track or their P4 track. In fact perhaps you could consider using C & L flexible OO track instead of Peco as it can be used with Peco points. Or perhaps you could buy just one length of C & L track and use that as a template to set the Peco sleepers further apart.

I presume you are using Peco points the sleepers of which are also too close together and it is impossible to widen those so there will be a disparity between the points and plain track. However I have seen exhibition layouts that do this and once the track is painted and ballasted it is not too obvious and is a reasonable way to obtain a more scale appearance.

Sandra

I think Sandra like others here have hit the nail on the head, in 00 gauge scale sleeper spacing to my eye looks a bit too wide, as Peco looks a bit to narrow, the answer C&L came up with was to reduce the sleeper spacing on 00 gauge track slightly with the gaps between sleepers at 5.5mm. Most folk comment favourably at C&L track when compared with Peco and its the sleeper spacing that looks good

Archived