Railway Modeller Subscription

Savoyard

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I got a reminder for my Railway Modeller subsription, the cost for 12 months is ??41.40 which is 12 x the Cover Price, not even a small discount on the cover price. Out of interest I did a comparison of the subscriptions of big four (see below) and excluding the free gift, Hornby magazine offers the biggest discount whilst RM offers nothing. BRM offer the best value gift in the form of two videos and guess what RM offers nothing!

I know RM would argue that with a sub you guard against a cover price increase but RM hasn't increased over the last 12 months. I know wonder why should I give RM all my money up front in return for nothing. Is it arrogance or commercial naivety that RM are not giving their subscribers a discount never mind a gift!

I don't think I will be renewing my subscription and I will support my local model shop and I can also decide whether it is worth buying.

RM should wake up to the competition, at present your subscription is lagging far behind in terms of value!

Peter

BRM

Total Issues 12

Cover Price 3.40

Total Yr 40.80

Sub Cost 37.00

Sub Saving 3.80

Gift Value 34.94

Total Extra Value 38.74

Hornby

Total Issues 12

Cover Price 3.45

Total Yr 41.40

Sub Cost 34.50

Sub Saving 6.90

Gift Value 10.00 (approx)

Total Extra Value 16.90

Model Rail

Total Issues 13

Cover Price 3.40

Total Yr 44.20

Sub Cost 39.99

Sub Saving 4.21

Gift Value 20.00

Total Extra Value 24.21

Railway Modeller

Total Issues 12

Cover Price 3.45

Total Yr 41.40

Sub Cost 41.40 Sub Saving Nil

Gift Value Nil

Total Extra Value Nil

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Whilst your figures may be correct for the first year the free gift is not applicable to any further years. The savings after the initial year are not so large.

I have a Model Rail subscription as it usually has something in every month that interests me. The others occasionally do so I buy them on spec. The free gift is not in my case an incentive to buy.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter,

I guess it depends on why one chooses to buy anything really, In my case I have a RM subscription primarily because I like the mag - I also have a subscription to MR, but after the first 12 months there's no further 'gift' and as I model in N the sub discount hardly counts (I do have the tankers, but Chris did post that the take-up was rather disappointing so I'm not holding my breath waiting for the next onelaugh.gif ).

The only time I can recall an incentive from RM to subscribe was a limited-time offer of a few extra copies but that was a few years back.

I don't have the luxury of being able to browse the WHS 'reading-rooms' so I'll be happy to continue with my sub unless they mess around with the standard, which has improved if anything IMHOcool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Gold

The free gift doesn't sway me but so far I have always renewed and got a free gift especially if your renew at a show.

The real reason I take out a subscription is that I usually get a discount, which I did last year with RM as they gave me 14 issues for the price of 12 but nothing this year. The real point is that if I am going to make an outlay in advance I expect some kind of reward for the commitment of paying up front.

Peter

I know RM would argue that with a sub you guard against a cover price increase but RM hasn't increased over the last 12 months.

RM should wake up to the competition, at present your subscription is lagging far behind in terms of value!

Maybe a cover price increase is overdue.

Personally, as a long time subscriber of RM, the reasons for selecting RM over its "competition" is the fact that I think it is consistently better. I know it is only my opinion but I think the rest don't come close. So to be the price only determines if I buy it or not (not an alternative) - I am an occasional purchaser of BRM - when something in it stands out but I just don't like the style of the others. I subscribe because by the time I have made the effort/remember to go into WHS or some other shop they have usually sold out so I would rather it was remembered for me and just posted - even if that means I get it 1-2 weeks late due to the post delay.

I also think that RM have made a significant change over the past few months and widened their already wide appeal with new regular features - some revived goodies from the past.

You still can't beat it for its adverts :D

Hi!

I can see at least three benefits from being a subscriber, even if the annual cost is the same as 12 shop purchases.

1. You don't have to go to a shop soon after the publication date to be certain of getting a copy.

2. Subscription copies usually come (in the UK) before the publication date.

3. You are getting it delivered through your door post-free.

As I don't necessarily visit a town with magazine shops every week and have no local model shop, and as my nearest newsagent would make a delivery charge, I do get several benefits from my subscription.

But it's your choice - pay once a year and get it supplied automatically, or pay month by month but have to make the effort to get it yourself.

Richard

Though I think all Richard's points are valid, I've cancelled/ not renewed all my subs this year except for MRJ. I usually find enough info on RMWeb to let me know if an issue is worth having or not and buy accordingly.

Having sorted and then disposed of 20+ years of magazines over the Christmas & Snow break finally convinced me that many really weren't worth buying in the first place.sad.gif

More cash for Locos though!rolleyes.gif

• RMweb Premium

On Paul's point about only getting one free gift, that's untrue with Model Rail. I appear to be able to claim a free gift (if I want it) everytime I renew my yearly subscription.

Hi

Sorry but saying my point is untrue is like calling me a liar. I've never had a free gift from Model Rail since the first one when I originally signed up for the subscription and I have subscribed since around 2004/05.

This might be due to me paying by quarterly direct debit.

Cheers

Paul

Hi!

I can see at least three benefits from being a subscriber, even if the annual cost is the same as 12 shop purchases.

1. You don't have to go to a shop soon after the publication date to be certain of getting a copy.

2. Subscription copies usually come (in the UK) before the publication date.

3. You are getting it delivered through your door post-free.

As I don't necessarily visit a town with magazine shops every week and have no local model shop, and as my nearest newsagent would make a delivery charge, I do get several benefits from my subscription.

But it's your choice - pay once a year and get it supplied automatically, or pay month by month but have to make the effort to get it yourself.

Quite so, points that the OP doesn't seem to factor in. Not everyone has the opportunity and easy access to newsagents and model shops to buy a copy in person. Compared to the cost (for instance) of driving, parking etc each month and the time involved, the subs deals are a bargain.

• RMweb Gold

.....and when I have qualified for one of these "free" gifts I've never got the item advertised.....it's always been a substitute gift (as it says can be done in the fine print) which has been of no use whatsoever.

My view on subscriptions is that subscribers should benefit from free postage as well as a discount on the cover price as the subscriber is buying direct from the publisher who, presumably is pocketing what would have gone to the wholesaler/distrubutor/retail outlet as well as the use of the subscription monies during the course of the year.

Keith

Sorry but saying my point is untrue is like calling me a liar. I've never had a free gift from Model Rail since the first one when I originally signed up for the subscription and I have subscribed since around 2004/05.

Hi Paul

I suspect a poor choice of words there on the part of Westerner, but I'm sure he'll be happy to edit his post to appear less confrontational.

Cheers.

Paul I was certainly not calling you a liar, and I am very sorry you thought that was what I meant, I do apologise if that is how my post read.

I was trying to point out if you have a yearly subscription, as I have and mentioned in my post, then it is possible to get a free gift every time you renew. I know that with a direct debit type subscription that does not happen (mines like that with BRM)

• RMweb Premium

.... RM should wake up to the competition, at present your subscription is lagging far behind in terms of value! ....

Logic seems a bit skewed if the choice of magazine subscription is based on discounts given and the value of any free gifts offered as an incentive. Obviously if all things were equal then these factors might legitimately come into play, but they're not. The only equal thing about the examples given is that they are all model railway magazines; if they were to be presented without any overt identifying labels I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't take more than a quick glance through to identify which magazine was which. It's these differences that should inform choice, each magazine has it strengths, its own style and I'd suggest target readership. The costs though different, are similar enough for most of us to choose based on the core purpose of the magazine, that is the subject matter it deals with and the way this content is presented.

...The costs though different, are similar enough for most of us to choose based on the core purpose of the magazine, that is the subject matter it deals with and the way this content is presented.

Indeed. I'm irresistibly reminded of the Wilde quote, about knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing <_<

It's good to have a forum area to discuss these things though, isnt it :)

• RMweb Premium

Paul I was certainly not calling you a liar, and I am very sorry you thought that was what I meant, I do apologise if that is how my post read.

I was trying to point out if you have a yearly subscription, as I have and mentioned in my post, then it is possible to get a free gift every time you renew. I know that with a direct debit type subscription that does not happen (mines like that with BRM)

Hi

In retrospect I probably reacted before really thinking about what you had written. For that I also apologise.

Just to mention I haven't ignored your PM. I am just not able to reply at the moment but I guess that is down to the current server situation.

Cheers

Paul

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yesterday I got a reminder for my Railway Modeller subsription, the cost for 12 months is ??41.40 which is 12 x the Cover Price, not even a small discount on the cover price.

According to Peco Subscription prices the annual subscription is £37.26

Now try getting a Railway Modeller subscription if you live in Ireland! The subscription jumps from £37.26 to £61.80. Even allowing for the blatent over pricing in Euro of all UK magazines in Irish shops, it is still cheaper to buy in Easons each month.

The reason I get mine by subscription is convenience. My nearest model shop is 10 miles away, so a trip to pick up a magazine adds another £2.50 in fuel costs. I used to get mine from the newsagent close to where I used to work, but they closed down due to increased competition from a supermarket shortly before I took my present job. I had been getting my books and papers there for 24 years. The larger newsagent don't seem interested in putting aside magazines for customers.

I should add that RM used to encourage buyers to purchase from their local model or paper shop and only subscribe as a last resort. Supporting your local businesses.

Hi,

I'm in Australia and we get the UK model mags about 4-6 weeks later than the UK.

I collect the Hornby Magazine from issue 2 through my local newsagent every month. Picked up issue 1 at another newsagent across town which made me go to my local and order it. they had not seen it and subsequently order 3 or 4 extra every month.

The other magazines, RM, BRM & MR I buy ocassionaly when an article interests me. A friend buys these 3 every month which I borrow [Admin removed]. I then lend him my Hornby magazines to read.

Recently I bought the RM 2009 Annual CD which had some articles which interested me. It does not include exhibitions and classifieds. These don't generally interest me as I am in Australia, but have looked at the ones during April-May in the last couple of years mags as my wife and I will be in the UK next year. I think this is the way to go.

Mark

• 1 month later...

I subscribe to both HM and Model Rail.

Never ever had a discount or free gift from HM even though I have been a subscriber since issue 1 (before it was even published!).

Had a free gift from MR when I first subscribed. Some years later I noticed in the small print that existing subscribers if they renewed could claim a free gift, so I did so, but it never arrived. Didn't really think much about it, but I did mention it to Chris Leigh on this forum and he did follow it up for me and gave me the name etc to contact, which I did so, but again no response. Anyway, some time later I had to change bank accounts so I let my MR sub run out, and then renewed a month or two later on a rolling subscription contract and claimed a free gift. Again, this gift never came, so I did follow it up this time, thinking missing out two times was a bit much!

Finally, a substitute gift did come as my first choice was 'sold out', but some weeks later my first choice gift also arrived, so I assume that there was an admin error somewhere, but I felt I was entitled to both gifts as I was owed one from a few years before.

Since then I let the MR sub automatically renew once a year and I currently pay quite a bit below the normal subscription rate, but I don't claim or get any free gifts, but the discount for being a loyal subscriber (have bought every issue of MR since it was standalone mag) is more useful to me than any of the current 'free gifts'.

Archived