Croydon North Street - NSE 3rd Rail 1980s/90s

Pete 75C

The other thing that puts me off is authenticity. I know North Street is a total figment of my imagination,

I would guess that in many ways almost every layout on the exhibition circuit is not authentic in one way - yours has the believability of a compact run-down urban terminus whereas how many other layouts of large sprawling stations have selective compression to fit within the space available, or take the straight approach tracks and put them on a curve to get round to the fiddle yard and save space etc?

Don't put your efforts down.  For as many people that drool over "yet another rendition of a GWR terminus based on Ashburton" there are also enough of us who like "this sort" of layout, which in many ways is far more achievable in the average home space than the 30ft sprawling rural terminus.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's looking great.

I wonder if you need one of thoe tall signs with a BR arriw and station name on the street ?

I understand your point about shows, can't see the enjoyment myself

There are times when I feel like that.

Mostly, we have a great time talking with visitors and other exhibitors.

However the first few shows you ever do can be stressful till you get used to it. Small shows are the way to go at first though so you can adjust the time you need  for setting up etc once you know how long it takes for you and your layout.

Worst part is packing up and any long drive home especially when the weather and traffic are against you.

...... or a 'ghost' sign, Pete?

That would look really good. I wouldn't have a clue how to make it look realistic but I stumbled upon:

http://www.ghost-signs.com/

whilst having a browse for something else. There's a representation of a bricked up window on the gable end of the Skaledale terraced shop and the relief of this bricked up window and window ledge might be an issue. I'll have a think about it. The easy option would be to file off the window ledge and cover the whole damn thing with a billboard!

One thing that might be worth considering is a trespass guard/cattle grid between the end of the juice rail and the level crossing? Or is there one and I've missed it?

No there isn't Ian. Good point. One for the "to-do" list.

Rob, I've downloaded the excellent Scalescenes station sign and poster board PDF (Network SouthEast version). I've used this for all the station signs so far. There is one of those tall double-arrow signs with room for the station name exactly as you've described so I will get around to it. There's only room for "North Street", not "Croydon North Street" on the sign but I still think it will work well.

Thanks also for the comments about exhibiting. I don't really have the spare time in the evenings for club membership but it's not compulsory (I don't think)... so I'll soldier on and get North Street finished. I also need to accumulate a bigger variety of stock although I guess that will take a while. A lifetime, even? I will take up Dave's suggestion of a lighting rig as I've always liked that idea. When I can stand back and safely say "there's not much more I can do", I'll consider my options. In the past, I've tended to sell a layout on to finance the start of another project but I'm liking North Street - this one stays.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 2

Cool, I used the scalescenes stuff on my plank before it changed direction many times. I do like his stuff.

I'm the same - I have no time to really join a club, and TBh I don't want to do something communal - this is my world !but even if my stuff was good enough I don't feel the need to display.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having given up going to the Aylsham show because it's not very good, and visited the Norwich show twice I reckon judging by your photos this layout is more than good enough for either. If you want to dip your toe in the water I'd even volunteer to help as I'm local. I can't be any help with stock, although I do have a green thumper and I seem to remember Selhurst had a green one around that time as a celebrity unit (or am I dreaming it?)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Having given up going to the Aylsham show because it's not very good, and visited the Norwich show twice I reckon judging by your photos this layout is more than good enough for either. If you want to dip your toe in the water I'd even volunteer to help as I'm local. I can't be any help with stock, although I do have a green thumper and I seem to remember Selhurst had a green one around that time as a celebrity unit (or am I dreaming it?)

You are not dreaming. Travelled on it a few times till it was partially destroyed in the Cowden head on crash.

That was a black day... I'd just booked on at Selhurst that morning when we got the news. Norwood drivers and Selhurst guards. Off topic, but it does make for interesting reading as the circumstances were somewhat controversial...

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=151

Colin... be careful - I may take you up on that offer. If it turns out to be stressful, there's always the pub after...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That area had a fair bit of extreme misfortune, with Purley and Clapham Junction as well as Cowden. Very sad days

I had just got off a train at Purley and gone into a friends house just opposite the cul-de-sac where the train fell down the bank as the crash occurred but didn't hear or see a thing till later on some time after it had happened- a very strange day that was.

Gotta say I like the house being painted, can't recall seeing that anywhere before.  Might just pinch that one myself...

...that only came to mind after I snapped the ladder off an Oxford diecast fire engine. Never one to throw anything away!

• Like 3

Thanks Adrian. The photos are my nemesis. All I have is a compact digital camera and I struggle to get clear pictures. Toying with the idea of getting a mini tripod, as I'm finding the pictures that are taken from "street level" with the camera resting on the baseboard come out much better. Better lighting would be a bonus too. There's only around 6" depth for anything scenic on the other board, so I need to be careful - I certainly don't want to jam too much in.

• RMweb Gold

There's only around 6" depth for anything scenic on the other board, so I need to be careful - I certainly don't want to jam too much in.

A corner of Ikea, with a heritage chimney and a little car-parking, or delivery area with an artic rig?

• Like 2

A corner of Ikea, with a heritage chimney and a little car-parking, or delivery area with an artic rig?

No! That's a little too close to Waddon Marsh... I'll have to buy the layout back and connect the two! I much preferred Croydon power station in its long-closed, derelict, but still standing 1990 state, pre-Ikea. Those chimneys looked good before Ikea sent South London's version of Fred Dibnah up there with the company colours. At least we should be grateful the chimneys weren't demolished too! Rose-tinted specs time again...

post-17811-0-66220800-1417265057.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Paul,

Only just found this topic (eyesight must be worse than I thought) and just wanted to compliment you on a superb looking layout and modelling too. Speed at which this has come together is awesome. Some great 'how to's ' as well which I shall be using when I finally get my layout off the ground - including the excuse for going upstairs to do some decorating….cough!cough!

• Like 1

how about a couple of emu stabling sidings and a carriage washing plant - good excuse for some extra movements. Thinking like Addiscombe?

Thanks Colin. We seem to be thinking along the same lines (no pun intended). I'm limited by the fact that the track is already fixed in place and wired, so no alterations are possible there. There's also the right-hand end of the run-round loop which kind of gets in the way... I have to allow at least a loco length for that to work. Track plan below:

post-17811-0-26086500-1417281145.jpg

What I've come up with (so far) is a loco hardstanding on the top road (leading to a low-relief single-road shed entrance) and a short carriage servicing platform on the lower road. Only the carriage road will be "juiced". There should be no conflict if any short trip freights need to run-round:

post-17811-0-22621100-1417281332_thumb.jpg

To mask the fact that the run-road loop disappears at an odd angle through the backscene, I quite fancy the idea of modelling a "pipe bridge". I've seen this modelled a few times and it always looked effective. Something like this:

post-17811-0-09341100-1417281379.jpg

The loco hardstanding provides for a bit more "on-scene" stock storage, as does the carriage road. The jury's still out, but there's no opportunity to remodel the track layout so I have to make do with what's already in place. Hopefully it will all come together!

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 4