Hinton Ampner

emt_911

Right. Here we go again. Modified track plan with details added.

I've removed the church as it would be at the front of the layout and the size would obstruct the view. As things develop during building I may find somewhere suitable for it.

At the same time, I will be identifying where to place the village blacksmith.

Full Layout

post-6953-0-32320000-1412977251_thumb.jpg

Military Section

post-6953-0-19485200-1412977283_thumb.jpg

Village Section

post-6953-0-61814400-1412977315_thumb.jpg

Colour Code

Dark Yellow - Fence

Dark Green - Engine Shed

Dark Blue - Water Tower

Black - Coal

Yellow - Tank Loading Ramp

Pink - Bridge

Brown - Cottages (These aren't individual cottages but terraces of 3 or 4)

Light Purple - Station Managers House

Purple - Station and Footbridge

Light Blue - Goods Shed

Red - Village Garage converted into Fire Station

Blue-Grey - Pub / Hotel

Dark Grey - Road

Light Grey - Workshop

Orange - Signal Box

Thoughts / suggestions / ideas welcome

Duncan

• Like 11

Morning Duncan,

Love the logical way you're developing the plan. You mentioned sleeper spacing, if you go for Peco code75 (which I probably will purely on financial grounds!), Ray ('Tender') has a good and easy way of adjusting the spacing on his 'Camel Quay' thread. Page1, Post #3, and it has a pretty good way of fixing and ballasting also - well worth a look!

Keep up the good work, I'm learning like you as you progress!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Morning Duncan,

Love the logical way you're developing the plan. You mentioned sleeper spacing, if you go for Peco code75 (which I probably will purely on financial grounds!), Ray ('Tender') has a good and easy way of adjusting the spacing on his 'Camel Quay' thread. Page1, Post #3, and it has a pretty good way of fixing and ballasting also - well worth a look!

Keep up the good work, I'm learning like you as you progress!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Morning Jock

Thanks for that. I've been watching 'Camel Quay' for quite a while now but had forgotten about how Ray did the sleeper spacing. I need to go back and have another look.

As far as ballasting goes, my method isn't much different but I will be having another look around the forum before that starts.

Duncan

• Like 2

Afternoon Jaz

Not sourced any people yet as I'm only in the planning stage. But, there seems to be a lot to choose from to give a good range of poses.

There may be room for a 'Dad's Army' style cameo.

Duncan

• Like 3

Hi Duncan

I have kept having a quick look at this until I had more time to post.

I like the concept you have of setting it during the war years, I love those kinds of layout as there is plenty of scope for scenic details and little cameos, I really am hoping that we shall see a bomb damaged building at some as they are a challenge to get right, but once completed must give a great sense of achievement if it looks authentic. I wish you the best of luck if you do go for that and I will watch with interest.

I can't help with track layouts as I'm hopeless with that which is why I model prototype. :mosking:

I remember some time ago meeting the couple who exhibited Q dump which was a WW1 layout which fascinated me, a great bit of work.

I look forward to seeing this up and running.

Jim

Hi Duncan

I have kept having a quick look at this until I had more time to post.

I like the concept you have of setting it during the war years, I love those kinds of layout as there is plenty of scope for scenic details and little cameos, I really am hoping that we shall see a bomb damaged building at some as they are a challenge to get right, but once completed must give a great sense of achievement if it looks authentic. I wish you the best of luck if you do go for that and I will watch with interest.

I can't help with track layouts as I'm hopeless with that which is why I model prototype. :mosking:

I remember some time ago meeting the couple who exhibited Q dump which was a WW1 layout which fascinated me, a great bit of work.

I look forward to seeing this up and running.

Jim

Thanks Jim

It's still in the planning stage at the moment, but, I think I'm going to build a cottage first and then have my first attempt at the bomb damaged building. This will be before I even build the baseboards as it may take several attempts.

I hope I don't disappoint.

Duncan

• Like 2

Duncan, if you check out the first post in Kingsley you will see more info on the Alton Line.

Nice track planning, so bloomin organized.

Andy

I'd forgotten about all the information at the start of Kingsley. :read:  :good:

Organised. I must be doing something wrong. :jester:  :jester:

Duncan

Morning everyone

A question. Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere that shows and describes methods for creating derelict / bomb damaged buildings?

I've got a good idea of how I'm going to do the floors and roofs but unsure about the walls.

Duncan

Jaz

I've been having a look around some of the military modelling sites (and yes they are addictive) but the ones I've found so far use kits of damaged buildings.

If you can provide a link it will be greatly appreciated.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Hi Duncan

It is worth remembering that many bombed buildings would be reduced to rubble as soon as possible just to make them safe from falling on people.

A recently bombed building would have things like the gas and water mains leaking so the road would be closed and dug up while these were repaired and/or disconceted. The rest of the street would not be able to heat food up so the Food Flying Squad http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/76/76BD001%20Food%20Flying%20Squad%20Bedford%20OX%2030cwt%20Van.html or WRVS or YMCA canteen vans would be parked near by. Auxillary fire service and one of the many volunteer ambulance services could also be present. The local bobby would be keeping his eye out for any looters.

Don't forget a Sally Army or NAFFI van for the squaddies.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Clive

Some good thoughts there.

Just wondering how quick the demolition would happen in remote(ish) rural areas.

Duncan

Hi Duncan

Quite quickly, the local builder would do it and he would be desperate for materials. These would be part of the payment for doing the job.

Have you seen Oxford are going to do a Diamond T tank transporter and a Bedford QL. :)

this might be of interest, it's not the same but the technique....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=z743HsvLn1E#t=176

Jaz

Taken a while to reply as I've been watching various videos. They're more addictive than the military modelling sites.

I've now got quite a few ideas that I can try. Thanks for the link.

Duncan

• Like 1

Evening Duncan,

Have you seen 'KH1 Up the line 1918'. Although it is 7mm NG, the blogs in particular contain many pics of war damaged buildings that may give you ideas - hope this helps, just type KH1 in the search box!

Kind regards,

Jock.