RMweb

Why no "0" gauge wishlist?

Simond

Just looked at the RM wishlist - "Wot?  No 0 gauge?" - particularly relevant in view of the thread on the future of 0 gauge, which is currently hot!

the lists themselves are useful reference material, b

best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

[stereotype]Ah Simon but you forget that all O Gauge modellers are of senior years, have fully fitted out workshops and have the time/skills/money to make everything themselves. Why would we be interested in RTR? [stereotype/] ;-p

• RMweb Gold

[stereotype]Ah Simon but you forget that all O Gauge modellers are of senior years, have fully fitted out workshops and have the time/skills/money to make everything themselves. Why would we be interested in RTR? [stereotype/] ;-p

And which of those points do you not meet, Mr 53-year-old-work-from-home-Scratch-build-1361 ?

• RMweb Gold

Hello Simon

We looked into running a Poll for 0 gauge but discounted it as the subject is a vast one. If you can suggest what such a Poll would look like, we will be happy to hear from you - either here on RMweb or by email to The Poll Team: thepollteam@gmail.com.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

• RMweb Premium

And which of those points do you not meet, Mr 53-year-old-work-from-home-Scratch-build-1361 ?

What! You've added 10years to me Stu, and I'm 'field-based' (a nice way of saying I go where the work is), and it's a kit I'm building (and only doing it because the Dapol BWT was cancelled) and it's a 1366 not a 1361. Other than that, bang on!

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG

No, no, no,no, no,no, no,no, no,no, no,no, no,no, no,no, no,no, no,no, no,no, no,no, no,no, no, NO.

EDIT - Please no 7mm wish list - a totally pointless exercise - a bit like someone telling you what they are going to do with their big lottery win....

Hello Simon

We looked into running a Poll for 0 gauge but discounted it as the subject is a vast one. If you can suggest what such a Poll would look like, we will be happy to hear from you - either here on RMweb or by email to The Poll Team: thepollteam@gmail.com.

Hi Brian

sorry if this is somehow a dim answer but in what way would it differ from the OO or N gauge polls?

This is a list of everything we can imagine you might want to vote for, and if your preference is not on the list, tell us and we'll add it next year...  (you've done the hard work in prepping the lists - you can safely ignore anything that is already made, because I doubt anyone will vote for an alternative to an already acceptable model)

You might get such a wide and diverse set of answers that it's no use to anyone, but my guess is you'll get some genuine pointers for what the RTR market would like.

Chaz

not quite.  There are some companies out there to whom the info would be useful.  (there are some lottery winners too, but they'll work it out without a statistical survey!)

br

Simon

What! You've added 10years to me Stu, and I'm 'field-based' (a nice way of saying I go where the work is), and it's a kit I'm building (and only doing it because the Dapol BWT was cancelled) and it's a 1366 not a 1361. Other than that, bang on!

Chris

you'll forgive us for forgetting it was a kit...

Simon

we've already got a 'what would you like next from Ixion' thread, we know that the next thing from Heljan will be another diesel and why worry what loco Dapol will make after the 08 as at the current rate of progress it would be quicker to carve whatever it is that you want out granite with your teeth.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian

sorry if this is somehow a dim answer but in what way would it differ from the OO or N gauge polls?

This is a list of everything we can imagine you might want to vote for, and if your preference is not on the list, tell us and we'll add it next year...  (you've done the hard work in prepping the lists - you can safely ignore anything that is already made, because I doubt anyone will vote for an alternative to an already acceptable model)

You might get such a wide and diverse set of answers that it's no use to anyone, but my guess is you'll get some genuine pointers for what the RTR market would like.

br

Simon

Hello Simon

Not in any way a 'dim answer', I assure you.

We have considered running an 0 Poll many times but have discounted it because of the number of items it would contain - probably in excess of 2,000. If we actually listed 'everything we can imagine you might want to vote for', the list would exceed 10,000 items (as it could for N or 00).

The Team is at full stretch on the N and 00 Polls and it would add a considerable workload to Andy York. Three members of The Poll Team are 0 modellers, so they would actually love to have a Poll; it is simply a logistical problem for us.

If someone could come up with a list of, say, 50 locos, 50 coaches, 50 wagons, then that might be a different ball game (without promising anything). We believe that the 0 market is slightly different to that of N or 00, but will stand to be corrected on that.

Hope that helps. If you wish to discuss further, you're welcome to contact us at The Poll Team email address: thepollteam@gmail.com

Thanks Brian - I'm sure that it could be a huge range, and anyone making a list will immediately be criticised for missing off what another modeller considers indispensable - perhaps I'm oversimplifying by saying, "ok, use the 00 list" - it might be wrong,  but probably better than no list?

Chris - yes and no.  As you are aware, I am a delighted owner of one of your products, and an avid speculator on  your next offering.  Ixion have spotted a niche, produced fine products and I hope are, and will continue to, recover their investments with a worthwhile margin. Heljan and Tower seem to manage, more or less, to hit the market.  Skytrex seemed popular but I understand that they ended up with huge stocks, suggesting they overmanufactured, suggesting the did not understand the potential sales.  There are the "top end" models with top end prices to match and they will always, like Rolls Royce, be able to shift a few.  I wish I was able to indulge, but these will always remain small volume, I guess.

Dapol appear to be struggling to release anything self propelled, and I gather, they are not alone.  Is this an issue of market understanding, finance, or internal management, I cannot say.  I'd have thought an RTR 08 would be a winner, ditto a Terrier, won't know til they hit the shelves.  I'm surprised you wouldn't be interested in seeing free market research (or, is it not free to manufacturers?)

best

Simon.

Manufacturers are perfectly capable of conducting their own market research and determining what is commercially viable.

Would that be why so few new releases (both kit and rtr) are of interest to me, being a modern image modeller?

Would that be why so few new releases (both kit and rtr) are of interest to me, being a modern image modeller?

Could be that you want something that not enough others do, Heljan seem to have made a reasonable living out of producing modern image RTR, I assume they didn't pluck the types produced out of thin air, but saw what was selling in other gauges. Similarly there are Modern Image kit producers. - What specifically do you want?

Obviously, much depends on the definition of "modern image". For me "modern imaage" is the late 60s and 70s blue diesel era, which self-evidently is no longer modern, but now period. Nevertheless,  classes 20, 26, 31, 33, 35, 37, 40, 47, 52 and 55 are available RTR with a 4 wheel rail-bus imminent and Classes 25, 42, 45, 60 and Falcon promised, all from just one manufacturer. JLTRT has covered some of the gaps that are now being filled by Heljan. The biggest diesel loco gaps are probably the 08  - I'll say no more about that - and a Class 66. DMUs and EMUs, other than perhaps a Bubble Car, are probably not viable in 7mm RTR form. Freight stock is a gap, but the arrival of some items that will help to fill the 70s - 90s gap is imminent. Rest assured that when it is one's own money at stake one does not stick a moistened finger in the air in the hope of receiving serendipitous inspiration about what will sell.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian - I'm sure that it could be a huge range, and anyone making a list will immediately be criticised for missing off what another modeller considers indispensable - perhaps I'm oversimplifying by saying, "ok, use the 00 list" - it might be wrong,  but probably better than no list?

best

Simon.

Hello Simon

If you have a look at Pat Hammond's Ramsay Catalogue, I think you will be amazed at just how big an 0 Poll would need to be if it were in context with N and 00. Last year, we had 1843 voters in 00 and 377 in N. I wonder how many an 0 Poll would attract. 

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team).

Brian

If you have a look at Pat Hammond's Ramsay Catalogue, I think you will be amazed at just how big an 0 Poll would need to be if it were in context with N and 00. Last year, we had 1843 voters in 00 and 377 in N. I wonder how many an 0 Poll would attract. 

On the basis of those figures and the other survey figures mentioned here I'd proffer that it would reasonably be 100-150 people (and it's arguably not worth taking a greater amount of everyone's time than OO or N polls for that and of subsequently little value to O manufacturers as too small a sample - how many items would those 100+ voters split their choices over). Of course it could be distorted by fanciful voting from someone who didn't go ahead and purchase.

In my eyes it would be a pointless exercise.

Brian

thanks for that.  Out of interest, how many RMWebbers are there?  Do these numbers represent a significant proportion of the membership, as given the prevalence of 00 in the marketplace, I am surprised how few voters responded.

estimates of UK 0 gauge modellers range from 5 to 10 thousand of us - is that reasonable?  How many would you expect to respond?

regards

Simon

estimates of UK 0 gauge modellers range from 5 to 10 thousand of us - is that reasonable?  How many would you expect to respond?

That's the membership of the Guild, a large proportion of which seem to no longer be active modellers in any capacity but have maintained their membership out of habit and a sense of community.

Active modellers are probably about half of that.

tried to put my hand on figures for attendance at Telford but couldn't find them.  They're on the GoG forum somewhere!  I believe that GoG membership around 5k, and there are maybe as many interested non GoG members as well - probably not far off Andy's figure of 6% of his 100k modellers in the UK.  Obviously some, perhaps many, will not be active purchasers, but, as I said some time ago, purchase of models is entirely emotional.

Many O gaugers are not computer savvy, and probably don't respond to surveys anyway, so there may be more, but at least the numbers are not contradictory.

If indeed we would only get 100-150 replies, I can see why it isn't worth the effort, nor, indeed very valuable to Chris Klein (wet finger or no!) to carry out the survey

thanks for the replies and thoughts

best

Simon

What a narrow minded core we have on RMweb! I can see no valid reason whatsoever for not having a wish list for O gauge modellers.. There are some very fine modellers on this site in all gauges. I personally model to Scale 7 standards, but that does not stop me from appreciating the efforts of those in the smaller gauges, because we can always learn something from the triumphs and disasters of others. So please enough of this selfish attitude, lets open the wish list to all gauges!

My request a Hull & Barnsley 'B' class 0-6-0, L.N.E.R Class J23 for those of you with their heads in the sand.

I can see no valid reason whatsoever for not having a wish list for O gauge modellers..

Off you go then; write up a good guide for voters, set up some web hosting, install the software, create and populate the survey - see you in a few weeks/months.

Archived