The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Dash-cam - any recommendations?

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

I think I'd like a dash-cam. This is not about recording the bad driving all around me, because the roads here are reasonably empty, but I do drive through villages with lovely buildings that beg to be modelled, and a video record of the style and some detail would be good.

Your findings on any such purchase would be welcome.

GoPro.

Superb little camera which can be used in so many places. I use mine mounted in my motor home for capturing those nice places as we trundle along or on my bike handle bars or my kayak and even strapped to the front of my locos for producing cab rides around my model railway.

Very versatile and well supported. All the mounts you can think of and very very tough.

New one just released, V4.

So good even the BBC use them.

• RMweb Gold

GoPro.

That.

Or a windscreen mount for whatever camera you already have. You don't need a specific dash cam or action cam.

BTW if anyone wants an actual dash cam get one that does 720p at the very least if you want to capture registration numbers.

I have an old Blackvue which is horribly out of date now but has worked well for the last few years.

Thanks for those ideas, chaps - all appreciated TVM. The explanatory video was particularly useful in jargon-busting. I'll do some homework on prices etc.

And, who knows, if you are a good boy, you might find one in your stocking on Christmas morning!!

Here we go:

Start watching this youtube clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfaOlUYAj6k

It's Russian, I think, but don't worry about that.

I have the same Prestigio RoadRunner 500 obtained from Halfords.  I ordered on-line and collected the next day.

It has a 32 GB card which will store the last 500 odd minutes (It then over writes the oldest files)

To view you just put the card in your laptop and use 'real player'

The camera sits on a 'sucker' holder attached to the windscreen.  It automatically turns on when the ignition is turned on, then turning off when the key is removed.

post-2484-0-60236600-1412368097_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-67402600-1412368114_thumb.jpg

I have 60 second clips in HD that are just under 60 MB eash clip.

You can save screen shots.  However the quality can be variable; you get screen reflections etc.  See the two shots below.  The 'town' shot is at low speed when turning right at a junction.  The other is at 40mph heading through Kimberley on the B1108.

post-2484-0-08709700-1412427384_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-51367900-1412427398_thumb.jpg

At first you feel a bit self concious, but you get used to it.  One thing is you tend to stick to speed limits. 

I always drive with Dipped Headlights as a minimum 'See and be seen'.  Some people flash you on sunny days, but hey ho, they have seen me.

Surely a camera that sticks to the windscreen is a view blocker that would cause an MOT failure, thus being illegal to use?

There is a specific zone regarding visibility.  It is used to decide if a screen chip is an MOT failure.  See http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/windscreen-vision-safety.html

post-2484-0-63264000-1412414526.jpg

There may be other legislation.  But I had a traffic officer asking about the file size etc on mine and he made no comment regarding position.

• RMweb Gold

Surely a camera that sticks to the windscreen is a view blocker that would cause an MOT failure, thus being illegal to use?

No more so than a satnav. Although I did see one of those mounted directly in front of the driver's face.

If you go for a dedicated dash-cam they permanently mount by the rear view mirror so you don't see them.

post-1036-0-88156100-1412445720_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just bought same from Tesco using clubcard tokens boosted to double value, so a shade under £70.

Andy - Good idea about Tesco tokens! They do the Nextbase 402.......

Cheers,

Mick

I have a Transcend drivepro 200 I bought from Halfords. It is a good bit of kit and I have positioned it behind my rearview mirror so it doesn't obscure any of the windscreen. Just make sure you go for the extra suction bracket as well.

Archived