RMweb

Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

• 3 months later...

I have now acquired a Lima BSK so the Class 123 will be able to continue when I feel like it, but in the meantime I have been busying myself with a set of Motorail flats & another Warship which will be D815 Druid MFYE......

post-6992-0-68194600-1458168782_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-24370600-1458169367.jpg

post-6992-0-86838000-1458169111.jpg

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 13

Great stuff Phil - I am liking the car flats.

Seeing them jogged my memory that as a nipper my parents took my brother and I on the motor rail train to St Austell - and father being a keen railwayman saw him and I learning out last mark 1 - watching a string of car flats (loaded) then looking the other way to see the Western powering the train, through the curves around Bodmin Road. I can date the trip as 1974, as when we got off the train, a drunk was singing 'Don't Stay Away Too Long' by Peters and Lee - slurring Jet planes flying high above me, don't stay away too long......

To this day I remember first few cars on the car flat by last mark 1 (our coach), were very clean Austin 1100, Ford Capri and Austin Maxi - of course in pre M5 days heightening demand for a motorail train.

Cheers Paul

Always nice to see an update Phill, 

The Motorail wagons look good. I remember going over to Brockenhurst as a kid to watch a Motorail train get loaded. 

Cheers Peter.

Spring has sprung, does that mean we may see a certain Bird make an appearance??

No reply, yet.... so do we take that as a "Yes", & assume that Phill is far too busy playing trains & having fun to be on here. :D :sungum:

Edited by F-UnitMad

Great stuff Phil - I am liking the car flats.

Seeing them jogged my memory that as a nipper my parents took my brother and I on the motor rail train to St Austell - and father being a keen railwayman saw him and I learning out last mark 1 - watching a string of car flats (loaded) then looking the other way to see the Western powering the train, through the curves around Bodmin Road. I can date the trip as 1974, as when we got off the train, a drunk was singing 'Don't Stay Away Too Long' by Peters and Lee - slurring Jet planes flying high above me, don't stay away too long......

To this day I remember first few cars on the car flat by last mark 1 (our coach), were very clean Austin 1100, Ford Capri and Austin Maxi - of course in pre M5 days heightening demand for a motorail train.

Cheers Paul

Always nice to see an update Phill, 

The Motorail wagons look good. I remember going over to Brockenhurst as a kid to watch a Motorail train get loaded. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for those memories ......really interesting stuff :)

Could I ask you both about the practice of loading & un-loading? as I intend to have facility's for  them at Withercombe :)

1. Did BR staff drive the cars on & off ?

2. Would I be right in assuming that the Carflats were detached from the train at the other end which would allow the cars to be driven off rather than reversed ?

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)

Spring has sprung, does that mean we may see a certain Bird make an appearance??

No reply, yet.... so do we take that as a "Yes", & assume that Phill is far too busy playing trains & having fun to be on here. :D :sungum:

Don't ask me boys I'm just a line side'r on the branch, but I have heard rumours that 1200 Falcon is to work some diagrams on the branch this summer.......so fingers crossed  :D

• Like 2

Certainty Phil, cars on the train to St Austell were loaded in such a way that they were driven straight off at St Austell - onto the end on ramp - Penzance end of the St Austell sidings, I don't remember about staff doing loading at St Austell however - certainly BR staff did motor rail loading at Bristol in the mid 80s when I joined BR.

Yours Paul

Certainty Phil, cars on the train to St Austell were loaded in such a way that they were driven straight off at St Austell - onto the end on ramp - Penzance end of the St Austell sidings, I don't remember about staff doing loading at St Austell however - certainly BR staff did motor rail loading at Bristol in the mid 80s when I joined BR.

Yours Paul

Thanks Paul, much appreciated :)

Hi Phill,

From what I remember the cars at Brockenhurst were driven on by the staff. Cars didn't all turn up at the same time so there were only a few staff needed. A friend of mine John Dedman has some pics on flickr which might be of use. 

At Brockenhurst the train would arrive on the Down then pull forwards and reverse back into the siding and the cars would be driven off. I think the stock was split from the train and went ECS somewhere as I remember with the return service the loco would arrive in the up loop with the MK1s then run of to the car flats then pull them out and push back onto the MK1s this would mean on arriving At Stirling the train would do a similar move and reverse into a siding with unloading ramp. Brockenhurst didn't actually have a ramp it was more of a bay platform with small metal ramp which went across to the wagons.

Hope this is of some use. Cheers Peter. 

I have now acquired a Lima BSK so the Class 123 will be able to continue when I feel like it, but in the meantime I have been busying myself with a set of Motorail flats & another Warship which will be D815 Druid MFYE......

attachicon.gif1-20160201_153703.jpg

attachicon.gif1-20160130_182702.jpg

attachicon.gif1-20160211_181502.jpg

Spring has sprung 'cause Phill is back and thinking about railway modelling again - which is always welcome inspiration!

Looks like you have been more productive than me Phill!

Kindest regards,

CME

Phil,

What prototype are these based on? The reason I ask is I was talking to a friend who will become the owner of Severn tunnel east and the STJ Pilning car service used bogie flats as well. I'm not sure if they are converted from other wagons or built specifically.

Thanks