Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

Looking good Phill. I think the pre-shading is showing up. Are you using rattle cans? Military/Aero modellers often under/base coat, then pre-shade panel lines/gaps and come in with the airbrush at an angle, with a spray across to top of the panels etc., thus showing up the preshading in the panel gaps. All very challenging to photo though!

ATVB

M.

Ahh - yes I've used JLTRT cellulose in the past and it was very good, but, as you say, is no longer available. Bit of a shame as I find the Railmatch aerosol either comes out too fast or not at all...

I do have an airbrush but sometimes you just want a quick blast from a can to avoid all the cleaning up afterwards that an airbrush requires.

• Like 2

Yes CME I'm using rattle cans so a bit limited to what I can do...must get a grip with air brush!....but has worked quite well & I'm really pleased:)

Youve done a very nice job Phill!

Let me know if and when you require a decent airbrush, at a fair price, I might have one for sale in a month or so.

With my grounded van body I pre-shaded after the initial primer/base coat, then I weathered with acrylics and added more shading with gouache.

Kindest regards,

CME

post-11256-0-81529300-1503863937_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-63823300-1503863966_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-46842500-1503863992_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

While I wait for the paint to harden on the Western before further work can be done, I have continued with my latest batch of Mk2a coaches. Here is a pic of 5 of them & further 2 are in my workshop, these 2 will be FK's (First Compartment) .

I will post a pic of these 2 FK's when they are at a more advanced stage .

post-6992-0-32837400-1504015085_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 6

All going swimmingly so far, I really like the pre shading...not sure if it shows up well in the pics?

20170827_132547.jpg

20170827_132537.jpg

Preshading looks perfect. Very subtle but will add real depth to the finished product.

My first post here Phil but had to comment. I have enjoyed your threads and your videos on youtube over the years and am inspired by your work both as a modeller and a gardener!

I am in the process of building up a collection of GWR 1930's stock to run in my garden and have taken a lot of ideas from you on how to integrate a line.

I never really liked diesels until I saw some of your work and now have a hankering for a Warship and a maroon Western so I can slip from the 30's to the 60's now and again.

Please keep it going!

Preshading looks perfect. Very subtle but will add real depth to the finished product.

My first post here Phil but had to comment. I have enjoyed your threads and your videos on youtube over the years and am inspired by your work both as a modeller and a gardener!

I am in the process of building up a collection of GWR 1930's stock to run in my garden and have taken a lot of ideas from you on how to integrate a line.

I never really liked diesels until I saw some of your work and now have a hankering for a Warship and a maroon Western so I can slip from the 30's to the 60's now and again.

Please keep it going!

Thank you very much, I'm glad you enjoy my ramblings :locomotive:  

I wondered who bought the Hymek body at Telford Phill...!

Just wanted to clear somethign up - is the Thousand a HJ job with modified headcode box doors or the JLTRT kit...? Afraid I can't tell with it being in primer...  ;) 

(My mission while I'm off work next week is to have a good old rummage through all the 7mm thread topics hereabouts and get a plan in place for the big leap away from 4mm).

Hi Rudge :)

The Hymek was a swap with a friend for th BG

body which was part of the haul from Saturday

It is indeed a Heljan shell with raised headcodes....if your O gauge plans include a BFYE Falcon I have brand new one for sale at a very good price :)

• Like 1

Cheers Phill,

My plans don't include a Falcon really but thanks for the offer  ;) . I want to get the oil sloshers in the bag and not get distracted by all the other tempting stuff that didn't cross the Tamar! At the moment I'm not sure whether to get a Dapol 08 now or wait till they do one without the hinges on the engine compartment doors, all of my likely WR suspects for renumbering have the plainer looking doors. Very impressed with this thread though, it's given me the impetus to crack on. I don't have room for a full layout but will start with a milk depot diorama / shunting plank then maybe incorporate it into a proper layout when the chance rises.

How easy / difficult is the HJ headcode mod...? Having seen one of Mr.Daniels Thousands in Howes a while back I really do like the look of the model itself, I just don't fancy making a hash of both cab fronts. Nowt against the JLTRT kit by the way, but I just don't have the time to build them (I had the 50 kit some years ago which I sold unfinished).

Hi Nidge, it's just a case of raising the headcode by 1.5mm approximately. I stuck some suitable plastruct in the bottom of the headcode box hole & gently filed the top of the box by the same amount.They are not as good as the JLTRT Kit but this mod goes a long way to improving the look of the Heljan :)

My Heljan Peak body bought at Saturdays Telford GOG show  has now been fitted to my scratchbuilt Peak chassis .........

post-6992-0-63707800-1504812077_thumb.jpg

& once I was happy with this I have updated the livery to suite Withercombes later mid 1970's time period by adding full yellow ends .....

post-6992-0-76700600-1504812209_thumb.jpg

This loco will now progress alongside D1058, more of which later .

• Like 6

My Heljan Peak body bought at Saturdays Telford GOG show has now been fitted to my scratchbuilt Peak chassis .........

attachicon.gif1-pk.JPG

& once I was happy with this I have updated the livery to suite Withercombes later mid 1970's time period by adding full yellow ends .....

attachicon.gif1-pk2.JPG

This loco will now progress alongside D1058, more of which later .

Nice work Phill,

Very quick re the chassis!

Can I ask; when you sprayed the yellow ends, did you use a white primer? I take it that you used a Railmatch rattle can for the yellow?

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

Nice work Phill,

Very quick re the chassis!

Can I ask; when you sprayed the yellow ends, did you use a white primer? I take it that you used a Railmatch rattle can for the yellow?

ATVB

CME

Neither CME  :no:  .......JLTRT Cellulose straight over the original paint!!!     :secret:

• RMweb Premium

it was a spare from Heljan.

I have always liked the idea of extra bodies sharing a chassis which I think you've done with warships before? I bought two peaks in the end as I really wanted green and blue but would have happily compromised on one (filthy) chassis to save a fair bit.