Beginners kit building advice needed

Earl Bathurst

Good evening.

I have just started out in 0 gauge moving up from 00. I am itching to build a kit and was woundering if anyone can offer some advice. I have had a look at David Andrew kits and would like to build the 42xx/52xx. Any idea if these kits are very difficult to build as it will be my first kit loco to build?

Thanks

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Also does anyone produce a 14xx kit?

Looks like you need to join the Gauge O Guild - they have a comprehensive search facility on their website which shows that 14XX (whatever that is!) is listed against the following manufacturers

Mercian

Scorpio

Slaters

Springside

Warren Shephard

Edit - missed the g out of Springside !

Thanks Adrian - I wonder why that didn't show in my GOG search . . ?

It will be because you searched on 14xx and not 48xx! Which just goes to show how difficult it is to construct a database in the first place using consistent data input and how open-minded you have to be when searching! Had you searched on 48xx you would only have found MOK and Scorpio!

Dave

It depends what you mean by "beginner." The Tower Models Andrew Barclay kit is about as "beginner" as you can get in this scale. It is a "glue-n-screw" kit.

If you're starting out in O scale, I would suggest building a couple of wagons and a brake van first. Helps you to get your head around how things are slightly different from 4mm scale.

Hi Scott

I got chatting to one of the guys on the loco clinic/82G stand at Telford and he suggested for a GW loco one of the ABS/Zero Zephyr 57xx panniers as a good beginners kit, I am going to have a go at either one of those or a Springside 94xx

Ian

Hi Scott

I got chatting to one of the guys on the loco clinic/82G stand at Telford and he suggested for a GW loco one of the ABS/Zero Zephyr 57xx panniers as a good beginners kit, I am going to have a go at either one of those or a Springside 94xx

Ian

Springside are not the best kits in the world. One from Jim at Connoisseur Models would be a better choice. ABS have the advantage of a resin casting for the hard part.

Springside are not the best kits in the world. One from Jim at Connoisseur Models would be a better choice. ABS have the advantage of a resin casting for the hard part.

Yes, steer away from Springside.  Full whitemetal is passe as a medium. A good model can be built but their wheels may need repacing due to eccentricity.  The weight tends to mean half the power is lost shifting itself before you add a load. Tower took ages to sell off their stock at reduced prices a couple of years ago.

Good luck with finding a Zero Zephyr kit. I don't think ABS actually make any, or anything else these days. They are good despite their age and certainly look the part.  The resin tanks are very convincing and save much time.

Only problem with a Connoisseur kit is that Jim doesn't do anything GW!

Ian

Only problem with a Connoisseur kit is that Jim doesn't do anything GW!

Ian

True, But it is better to start on something that can be finished even if it not from the chosen railway than one that destined to spend its life in a box unfinished. You will need to pick very carefully if it so necessary to have one of those odd engines. There are some really horrid ones out there.

Whilst accepting that full white metal is a bit passe, I've built a Springside 48xx and a Hall.

I had to seriously revise the suspension on the 48, and getting the cab straight in the Hall, without soldering the firebox to it and the footplate (to allow for subsequent painting) was a mare, but that might just have been me. For some reason the Slaters' tender wheels were supplied with spigotted screws, to run in outside bearings, and these were truly awful. I replaced them with MF pattern wheels and axles, and used the original ones in an inside framed tender with conventional screws.

These relatively minor grumbles aside, I was pleased with both locos. The Hall in particular is great - runs beautifully, (I did equalise the front two axles) and pulls very satisfactorily. Nothing wrong with a bit of weight! I strongly advise to solder them together. Powerflow and 70C.

I certainly would not write off Springside.

Best

Simon

True, But it is better to start on something that can be finished even if it not from the chosen railway than one that destined to spend its life in a box unfinished.

Hi Peter

I appreciate what you are saying, but, as I only have a limited budget to spend on my layout to buy something that doesn't fit in with the layout scheme wouldn't be of interest and therefore likely to sit in the cupboard unstarted. My current plan is to buy a Springside Hall without its tender(I already have a built up 4000Gall typre) and have the running chassis built for me leaving me to complete the bodywork.

Ian

Hi Peter

I appreciate what you are saying, but, as I only have a limited budget to spend on my layout to buy something that doesn't fit in with the layout scheme wouldn't be of interest and therefore likely to sit in the cupboard unstarted.

Ian

Ian, build it, and eBay it. You'll make money even if you #*!! it up. :)

Good luck with finding a Zero Zephyr kit. I don't think ABS actually make any, or anything else these days. They are good despite their age and certainly look the part.  The resin tanks are very convincing and save much time.

Adrian Swain attends a limited number of shows each year and has a limited number of ZZ kits with him. I bought a Deeley Dock Tank from him at Telford last month - one of several different loco kits that he had brought.

Dave

Whilst accepting that full white metal is a bit passe, I've built a Springside 48xx and a Hall.

I had to seriously revise the suspension on the 48, and getting the cab straight in the Hall, without soldering the firebox to it and the footplate (to allow for subsequent painting) was a mare, but that might just have been me. For some reason the Slaters' tender wheels were supplied with spigotted screws, to run in outside bearings, and these were truly awful. I replaced them with MF pattern wheels and axles, and used the original ones in an inside framed tender with conventional screws.

These relatively minor grumbles aside, I was pleased with both locos. The Hall in particular is great - runs beautifully, (I did equalise the front two axles) and pulls very satisfactorily. Nothing wrong with a bit of weight! I strongly advise to solder them together. Powerflow and 70C.

I certainly would not write off Springside.

Best

Simon

I think the later Springside kits such as the Manor and Hall are better than the earlier ones. The 94xx 0-6-0PT is rather long in the tooth and looks it.

Adrian Swain attends a limited number of shows each year and has a limited number of ZZ kits with him. I bought a Deeley Dock Tank from him at Telford last month - one of several different loco kits that he had brought.

Dave

I have PM'ed Adrian twice about what he has left to no avail.  Telford is not a realistic option for me as I'm in Brisbane! They never seem to come up on auction sites.

I have PM'ed Adrian twice about what he has left to no avail.  Telford is not a realistic option for me as I'm in Brisbane! They never seem to come up on auction sites.

Many of the ZZ kits were originally Eric Underhill kits so keep an eye out for those too. If you want to phone Adrian, I've had most success early evening UK time which I appreciate is not the most convenient time of day for you. Adrian is not a fan of email/PM as you will have noted from the lack of response. Good luck!

Dave

Archived