Hornby Santa Express Train Set

Hroth

Just got the "pre-orders" facility email from Hornby.

Right at the bottom the "Hornby Santa Express Train Set".  http://www.Hornby.com/Hornby-santa-express-train-set-concession-exclusive.html

What were they thinking of?  I suppose, in years to come, it might be a collectors item...

The only thing worse they could have done is to have provided it with radius 1 curves so it could be a dining table centrepiece!

• RMweb Premium

I would have thought £45 was the limit for this. That's probably why you don't see Hornby in Smyths or Toys r us. The train set market is diminishing but they are pricing themselves out of what's left!

This is the same sort of 'Marketing Mess' that got them into trouble with their tatty Olympic Cr&p. 

They really don't seem to have a handle on supplying their core market, and avoiding wasting time and effort on this sort of trash.

So who gets the licensing fees for this?

Santa? 

I don't think this is intended for the serious railway modeler, or maybe even the compulsive collector, out there...

I can see someones parent(s) getting this as a gift for their little wonder or to add some excitement to the festivities..

Or perhaps bought as an item to add some pizzazz to an otherwise boring office party..

Have you ever operated a train-set under the influence? - it can be mind numbing-ly hilarious...

Perhaps one should not under-estimate the imagination and power and cash reserves of the of the spontaneous purchaser? 

I agree they could have used a little more imagination, a little model of Santa and a lump of coal would not go amiss.

How many 'well-intention-ed-utterly-alien-to-your-constitution' love-tokens and presents have you received?

Be very afraid - someone might give you one!!!

I can see what they are trying to do selling the basic track and the track mat then hope that spurs them on to buy the addon packs etc.. Especially with the wording on the box and on the site "Additional track packs can be obtained to make the layout larger and even more exciting, and there is even a Hornby MidiMat included so you can see how Santa’s Special train set can grow and grow into a truly exciting model railway." how can you resist...

It should probably be encouraged and hope that this years Christmas set buyer is next years DCC set buyer then on and on until someone pops up on RMweb in 12 years time and says "I remember when I got a Hornby Santa Set for Christmas"

The problem is you can get this one below for under £20 featuring sound,lights movement (still no Santa though??) which as an un-educated  impulse purchase gives alot more for your money compared to the Hornby one.

So the price is the main issue if the price for the Hornby one were pitched under £40 you may target the Grandparents buying soley on the basis that it's Hornby I had Hornby when I was a kid but then again you can get a bottom-mid range Android Tablet for £70 which is probably what the Grandchild is really asking Santa for...

post-12740-0-98647900-1413089406.jpg

Example only other tat is available for similar price.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

It's worth pointing out that they did a Christmas set about ten years ago and that it sold very well. I have one; with a different engine to the one in the set it runs around the base of the tree every year.

http://www.mremag.com/sites/10/images/article_images_month/2013-05/hornbycrimbospecial.jpg

Tat it may be, but it's perfectly harmless tat, and there are far tackier and far more expensive Xmas decorations out there. Look for example at all that model village stuff which appears in garden centres at this time of year.

So who gets the licensing fees for this?

Satan.

It's misspelled. Bachmann should respond with a Satan Actual Seasonal Shopper Express using their Chiltern Railways Class 168 packed to the roof with model commuters, NIMBYs, screaming babies, Bicester-Village-bound Chinese tourists, students back home to their folks, more screaming babies, drunks (hello!), why-are-you-on-this-train-today surveyors, feral kids, creepily-unferal Midwich Cuckoo kids, cyclists, big blokes with attack dogs, political interns who look 50 but who are actually 23, and hen parties. All with multiple bags.

It's the most wonderful time of the year. (Other train operating companies are available.)

Granted, its not for everyone, but there is still a market for it. It can be viewed as either a novelty indulgence or a gateway product. I agree, the pricing is steep for what it is, but this will fly off the shelves at Hamleys etc. I dont think it warrants such negativity. Such elitism is one of the things that can make the hobby appear so stand-offish. It certainly doesn't detract from Hornby's other output, and lets face it... they certainly have found their MoJo again these last few months... the reviews pages of this months Hornby Magazine can atest to that. Its a novelty product aimed squarely at a niche market, but with one eye on the small percentage that may just find this one purchase being a gateway to jump back into the hobby, or his kids to show some much needed interest.

And despite my reservations regarding the price, its still their cheapest set by a tenner, with plenty of options to expand should the owner want to take things further. 

Will I have one going round the base of my Tree this year? I didnt plan to, but I think I will now... if only to irk the haters!

ISTR our very own AndyY saying that he had suggested this set to Hornby. 

Although I wouldn't stake any total claim on it being 'my idea' in a conversation with Roger Canham I did proffer the suggestion of quick wins that went outside their 'core market' and that there was potential for the old-fashioned toy train market and after all every flam'n garden centre stocked some battery-powered 'tat' in the run up to Christmas and wouldn't it be better that it's something with a Hornby label on it? Of course it's not for 'serious' modellers but one of those running round the base of the Christmas tree in the run-up to Christmas might get a few people buying toy trains again. I didn't have anything to do with the price though.

Anyway, it's a meat van of course.

I suppose I'd better go and buy one now. :)

• RMweb Gold

Price wise, Hornby may well have taken note of the fact that whereas their basic starter set with the Caley pug, a four wheel coach, and an open wagon has an an RRP of £49.99, Argos are selling it as an 'Internet exclusive' for £63.99.   :O

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4622549.htm

Under those circumstances Hornby might as well ramp up the price themselves. 

I really cant see what the problem is .It looks fun and a lot of kids will love it .It has the mat to expand the  parents wallet and childs  imagination and  will be a great present .It also had a controller .I can remember I went a Christmas party and the child had been given a Hornby train set ,quite a large one .It was all set up but no controller .The kid just didnt understand that  and was a total sod the whole time .I was well out of model trains then having just got married so had no controller to go home and get .At least the kids who get this will be able to play with it .As to the  Santa Express shown in another post  its utter crap and while Hornby may well be the spawn of Satan to many misguided people  and over priced   its not crap and it could be the kick off for many kids who probably already have an ipad as most kids seem to have .

Happy Christmas

Seriously ?
70 quid ????
If I convert that to Australian $ that's um .... quite a lot for a bit of Xmas frivolity.

All the sensible Grandads and Dads would surely add the extra few quid and buy the young-uns a nice Flying Scotsman or Mallard Set. At least it wouldn't look daft set up in July !!!!

Bah Humbug !

;)

Edited to include wink !!!

Seriously ?

70 quid ????

If I convert that to Australian $ that's um .... quite a lot for a bit of Xmas frivolity.

All the sensible Grandads and Dads would surely add the extra few quid and buy the young-uns a nice Flying Scotsman or Mallard Set. At least it wouldn't look daft set up in July !!!!

Bah Humbug !

;)

Edited to include wink !!!

$130 as of 10:27 AEDST.

Or the same price (roughly) as the Caledonian Belle set with the 264 Class 0-4-0ST, better known as Smokey Joe in BR lined black, and an open and a 4w coach

https://hobbyco.com.au/Hornby-sets/oo-caledonian-belle-b4-0

The Scotsman and Mallard sets are $295 and $315 respectively

https://hobbyco.com.au/Hornby-sets/oo-flying-scotsman-trainset

https://hobbyco.com.au/Hornby-sets/oo-flight-mallard

Price wise, Hornby may well have taken note of the fact that whereas their basic starter set with the Caley pug, a four wheel coach, and an open wagon has an an RRP of £49.99, Argos are selling it as an 'Internet exclusive' for £63.99.   :O

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4622549.htm

Under those circumstances Hornby might as well ramp up the price themselves.

£49.99 in the catalogue and at http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2755188.htm. The internet exclusive one has "free delivery" which for the cheaper one is, l presume, an additional £3.95 - someone cannot add up! On the other hand if the exclusive one comes with express delivery, nor clear that it does, at £19.99 (!) then it does make a bit of sense.

$130 as of 10:27 AEDST.

Or the same price (roughly) as the Caledonian Belle set with the 264 Class 0-4-0ST, better known as Smokey Joe in BR lined black, and an open and a 4w coach

https://hobbyco.com.au/Hornby-sets/oo-caledonian-belle-b4-0

The Scotsman and Mallard sets are $295 and $315 respectively

https://hobbyco.com.au/Hornby-sets/oo-flying-scotsman-trainset

https://hobbyco.com.au/Hornby-sets/oo-flight-mallard

Yes, I see, but if you want to give the kids a proper upbringing an LNER set would obviously be the right choice !!

more winks required. ;)

BTW Saw Your status for Today too and couldn't agree more, cracker of a day. 

Yes, I see, but if you want to give the kids a proper upbringing an LNER set would obviously be the right choice !!

more winks required. ;)

BTW Saw Your status for Today too and couldn't agree more, cracker of a day. 

Well, $130 is also how much I picked up an Empire of India for in the post christmas sales last year, to become Bittern in 2009-10 condition in BR Green with second tender. I can tell you which I'd rather for the price.

Going back on topic, I think that, while it will certainly sell, it might be seen as a novelty compared to the similar sets of the same price. Though I'm sure one will appear around an RMweb members tree at Christmas. Maybe whoever is on Santa Andy's nice list gets one of these, and whoever was naughty gets a pile of dust-the lump of coal being considered too useful to modellers.

In regards to the status, you knock one out and the other takes it's place. Brilliant driving!

Archived