Hornby Santa Express Train Set

Hroth

• 8 months later...

Never thought I'd be digging this one up again!

Igor, the spade!!!

Yep, Argos are offering "Santa's Express" and the wonderful thing is, buy three and the third is free!  (Its an Argos special offer for all toys, buy three toys and the lowest priced one is free.)  Though why you'd need three of the damn things is beyond me :-) 

Of course, you don't need to get three Santa train sets; if you desperately wanted an A1 Tornado in experimental British Railways green livery, and a Western Messenger train set too, then you'd be covered.

As they say in the ad ( http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4398725.htm) - buy one and run it around the bottom of the tree!  However I had a dog-mangled Triang 3F tender loco that ended up that way because it was run around the bottom of the tree...

Never thought I'd be digging this one up again!

Igor, the spade!!!

Yep, Argos are offering "Santa's Express" and the wonderful thing is, buy three and the third is free!  (Its an Argos special offer for all toys, buy three toys and the lowest priced one is free.)  Though why you'd need three of the damn things is beyond me :-) 

Of course, you don't need to get three Santa train sets; if you desperately wanted an A1 Tornado in experimental British Railways green livery, and a Western Messenger train set too, then you'd be covered.

As they say in the ad ( http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4398725.htm) - buy one and run it around the bottom of the tree!  However I had a dog-mangled Triang 3F tender loco that ended up that way because it was run around the bottom of the tree...

I suspect most people would not even want one of the 'damn' things. Still hope they got the rivets right on Santa's sleigh!

• 2 months later...

I know I've made some comments about this little train set (see earlier posts above!), but when I saw it in Argos dropped to 40 quid I had a moment of weakness and bought it for a Christmas Tree layout.

All I used were the engine and trucks; a 3rd Radius oval is far too big for the rolling stock supplied, but I did have a 1st Radius circle and this went down on a simple baseboard, scenics were supplied by snow mat from a pound shop, some card structures (Wordsworth downloads for the grounded coach body and the signal box) and other bits and bobs from the spares box. There is also a Triang Conflat with a Palitoy Triang Toys/Pedigree Prams container at the rear!  (Why did I say Palitoy? They were competitors!)

The train is controlled using an Arduino Uno, an L298N HBridge motor board and a couple of cheap PSUs (The 12v one to power the loco is an Argos one for a Mini Fridge!).  The control hardware cost half as much again as the train set.

The Arduino allows the train to make one circuit, pausing at the station and stopping again behind the backscene, or perform the single circuit continuously.  There is also an emergency stop button and a final one to run the train back to the start point from anywhere on the circuit. It also plays a cheesy Xmas tune when the train stops in the station...

A bit of overkill I know, but the other option was to use the Hornby controller in the set and let it go roundandroundandroundandroundandroundandroundandround......

post-21933-0-64856100-1449679119.jpg

post-21933-0-21764000-1449679124.jpg

Not shifting, 2 weeks ago was £49.99 and now £39.99 for the set.

Not at 50 quid perhaps, but since the 40 quid offer came along, all but one of the 6 local Argos stores have gone out of stock. Obviously this might have been from a low stock base, but people have been tempted!  And it IS nearer to Christmas...

I succumbed to one on offer as well, and like HRoth above, dug a circle of first radius curves out of my spares box. Mainly because the third radius curves wouldn't fit in the bay window where our tree goes!

Obviously it's getting the baseboard treatment and eventually I plan on adding festive lights to the loco and have dug out a spare brake van which will get a festive coat of paint and some seasonal figures!

An on going project that actually makes me interested in Christmas decorations! Hornby has to be commended for achieving that!

Cheers

J

Having all the Christmas wagons since 2004, now have a problem.

1 won't fit on circle under tree

2 0-4-0 can't pull them all, even on garden circuit

1. Ah! The M25 tailback conundrum!
  2. You could always doublehead, using two or three 0-4-0 locos, following Midland Railway practice (We're running out of engines, build some more!).  An 8F or 9F to help might be fun too.......

Archived