Connoisseur LSWR O2 for Pencarrow

2ManySpams

seeing the way that you are putting this kit together is tempting me! A temptation I must resist! What possible use would an O2 be to me? - no good on Dock Green and the wheels are too far apart to run on the FVRR. I could build it as an IoW loco.....no NO NO! :nono:

But seriously your build is going very well and the assembly looks neat and accurate. Excellent stuff.

I will be interested to hear how well it tracks with the twin beam and bogie pivot giving true three-point suspension. I have an EM radial tank to sort out and although this is a 4-4-2 a compensating scheme like your O2 (reversed of course) with the radial axle under the bunker lightly sprung seems to be the way to go.

Keep up the good work.

Chaz

seeing the way that you are putting this kit together is tempting me! A temptation I must resist! What possible use would an O2 be to me? - no good on Dock Green and the wheels are too far apart to run on the FVRR. I could build it as an IoW loco.....no NO NO! :nono:

But seriously your build is going very well and the assembly looks neat and accurate. Excellent stuff.

I will be interested to hear how well it tracks with the twin beam and bogie pivot giving true three-point suspension. I have an EM radial tank to sort out and although this is a 4-4-2 a compensating scheme like your O2 (reversed of course) with the radial axle under the bunker lightly sprung seems to be the way to go.

Keep up the good work.

Chaz

Go on you know it will look good on a shelf.

Go on you know it will look good on a shelf.

Yes, matey, but so would the K3, the N2, the J6 etc etc. I probably have enough models both started and still in original packaging to keep me busy till I snuff it. And that's not counting the On30 layout...... :sarcastichand:

Yes, matey, but so would the K3, the N2, the J6 etc etc. I probably have enough models both started and still in original packaging to keep me busy till I snuff it. And that's not counting the On30 layout...... :sarcastichand:

I have a few bits and bobs to do, I am finding I was more productive when I was working full time. I think it is to do with using what there was for model making more productively. I have at least set some goals this year.

I have a few bits and bobs to do, I am finding I was more productive when I was working full time. I think it is to do with using what there was for model making more productively. I have at least set some goals this year.

Discipline is tricky. I try to do at least two hours every day of some sort of modelling. Don't always deliver, on the other hand sometimes I get started on something and can't stop - generally a task like the DAS setts on Dock Green - a big, repetitive job - or maybe a kit that is going really well.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Bogie!

Well, OK, parts for the bogie.

post-6675-0-82855300-1422100065.jpg

And whilst I was in cutting out mode I did the step parts as well.

post-6675-0-87485200-1422100129.jpg

The cutting out and preparation takes far longer than the soldering.

Ps, in case any MRJ editors are reading this, in typing on rmweb whilst the soldering iron is warming up ;-p

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Wanted to press Like and Funny on that post. As certain MRJ editors eschew compensated chassis, what's your next move the??

Next move?

Carry on as per destructions...

post-6675-0-72421500-1422102520.jpg

post-6675-0-63159200-1422102559.jpg

High-tech alignment tool:

post-6675-0-15398200-1422102605.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

When I saw the first photo, I thought, "ee'll 'ave to cut the top off that 6" nail"

And then I saw the second photo with metallic sawdust all around and I thought "aaar, 'ee 'as."

First photo has a round file shoved in the parts to align all the holes. Second photo has the file removed.

All the metal sawdust is from something else...

• RMweb Premium

Body dropped on...

post-6675-0-06740200-1422136911_thumb.jpg

Obviously won't sit level on the chassis jig as the axles centres are lower on the bogie (smaller wheels you know).

And yes I know the bogie axle bearings are too big for the smaller diameter bogie axles...that's being sorted with inserts.

• Like 7

First photo has a round file shoved in the parts to align all the holes. Second photo has the file removed.

All the metal sawdust is from something else...

metal sawdust?   Swarf or filings mate! Sawdust grows on trees. :mosking:

That's coming along really well. Part of your progress is a reflection of what a good kit it is - Connoisseur standard (could Jim have chosen a better brand name?)  - the usual good design with few if any banana skins waiting - but most of is down to you.

With all that compensation and a reasonable amount of weight that loco will hug the track with every wheel - just what an 0-4-4T needs. Excellent stuff. Keep up the good work. (Shame it's not going to be one of Mr MacLeod's big bunkered Island warriors)

Chaz

Edited by chaz

You mentioned trees Chaz. Is that due to subliminal brain washing?

Hardly - the great tree-athon has yet to start - I'm still splashing about in the river - now we really must stop this topic hi-jack.

• RMweb Premium

Metal saw dust was just reusing the original phraseology Chaz ;-p

Thanks all for the comments. After the 1366 'fiasco' this is indeed an enjoyable build. Once I've tarted with the wheels everything that follows is largely cosmetic.

The only equivalent to the 1366 'chimneygate'on the O2 is the bogie bearings.

Jim designed the kit to use standard axles and provided bearings to suit. In the meantime Slaters produced the right outline wheels for the loco. The profile of the bogie wheels led to them using a smaller axle. Initially the bogie wheels were shipped without smaller bearings (that's what I got) but now bearings come with the wheels that suit the axles and the kit.

Having bought the wheels and found that the bearings and axles don't work together (serves me right for being an early adopter!) I've spoken to Slaters to get the right ones. They agreed to send them FOC (great customer service) but a mix up in despatch has meant that the wrong size were sent. Further discussions are on going but I still have sloppy bogie axles!

Having looked at the fit if the bogie parts I've concluded that the best approach is to find some thin wall brass tube to line Jim's bearings.