Connoisseur LSWR O2 for Pencarrow

2ManySpams

Guest Isambarduk

"I'd like to know what people like to use for lining - I've never done any before. "

At G0G shows, I help out on the HMRS stand and I sell Pressfix lining transfers only very reluctantly because I always encourage people to do it properly - with a pen!  Of course, you need to practice, practice and practice some more on things that don't matter (I have been asked why some of my storage boxes are lined out). 

There are places that are very difficult, or impossible, to reach with a pen but it's easy to make your own transfers by lining on to clear waterslide decal sheets that are intended for use with a laser printer; I always do boiler bands this way.  With a combination of pen on the model and pen on to decal sheet, it is easy to achieve consistent line colours and line thickness, something that does not always result from using commercial lining transfers.

David

• RMweb Gold

Alan Brackenborough advised me to make a rest to hold your hand steady and do the straight lines first using a rule then do the curved bits. The bow pen he shapes using a stone and then just takes the edges off so as not to scratch the model. I think he said have the paint about the constituency of milk. The sensible thing is to practice on scraps first. Buy a cheap plastic body paint then line paint and then line etc. If you practice on a 00 plastic body then try on some brass scrap before trying on the models.

Mind you Alan had a small notice behind the platform on his station which read "Drivers are requested not to blow off while in the station" I asked if he printed it off. No it was easier to do it by hand was his response.

Martin Brent recommended adding a touch of the bass body colour to the varnish which would tone down the lining a little without affecting the main colour.

Personally I have bought one of the RL Moore lining pens but have yet to try it.

Don

• RMweb Premium

But of a frustrating evening. I decided to remake the undercab pipework using brass and other odds and sods. I got reasonably far on one side, this far in fact:

post-6675-0-91613200-1432589112.jpg

post-6675-0-21680200-1432589150.jpg

And then I looked at the photos of the real 30200...

• RMweb Premium

Here's a few extracts of the real 30200:

post-6675-0-36335900-1432589423.jpg

post-6675-0-74945600-1432589442.jpg

post-6675-0-31736500-1432589476.jpg

Not the best shots to see what's going on but quite clearly there's no pipe loops behind the steps under the bunker and none of the pipework runs in front of the steps.

Bottom.

I started making what I thought I saw in the photos and got this far:

post-6675-0-53262700-1432589660_thumb.jpg

Lots of guesswork but then I found a photo of a different loco but it appears to broadly match what I think happens.

post-6675-0-24723400-1432589766.jpg

It's not quite what I've fabricated and I think I'm going to have another go at it...but not now...in a week time...

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I like the hat,and the hard wear did you get to fire it.

Mike

You had me wondering there Mike and then Mrs Spams mentioned she'd posted a photo of me wearing a civil war hat and musket on Facebook. I can't keep up sometimes!

• Like 1

From a position of no knowledge whatsoever of this class of loco, it looks to me as if the injector is vertical.

There will be a water pipe from the tank,, a steam feed from the fountain, a feed pipe to the boiler and an overflow. It may be that the water pipe has a valve/cock on it which is built into the injector.

Nice pix here - http://www.saylor.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Injector.pdf. They all seem pretty similar, it's just the orientation & pipe runs that vary.

HTH

Simon

You had me wondering there Mike and then Mrs Spams mentioned she'd posted a photo of me wearing a civil war hat and musket on Facebook. I can't keep up sometimes!

Where do you "wear" a musket?

:)

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Simon, useful link. Now I know what the parts are for I know what to search for. Basically it looks like I need to make up something like Peter has done on his Ivatt tank build:

post-6675-0-59047800-1432591192_thumb.jpg

That helps a lot, particularly as it's a frame rather than solid step.

I think the issue with the kit is that Jim (and me too) has been caught out by assuming the pipework is the same on the preserved IoW O2 and a mainland one. Once again I've been caught out by not referring to photos before starting...I should have learned by now.

• Like 2

With injectors if there is a control rod to the cab like the one on my Ivatt that will tell you the water inlet. The one closest to it will be the steam inlet from the cab, the two at the other end will be outlet which is probably the straightest one, and the other will be the overflow.

post-6675-0-21680200-1432589150.jpg

Looking above I would say the water inlet is the one you have made in brass, the outlet is the one in whitemetal joining the one you made the over flow is the short one shown in the unmodified one I would say the inlet is either in the end by the water or on the opposite side. Once you know which is which it is easier to follow the photo as you know water to tank or tender, steam inlet normally off to in between the frames to the cab. BR STD are different. Outlet generally to a clack valve which normally takes it up to the footplate, then along underneath to surface through the footplate near to the clack.

Looking at my Ivatt you can follow where they head off to except the in let which is out of site and goes through a hole in the frames behind the injector.

• RMweb Gold

Chris depending on what controls you have, or haven't, got on the footplate you need to sort out from them what goes where.  I agree with Simon that the injector appears to be vertical therefore I suspect that the water valve handle will be directly above it simply working the valve via a vertical rod.  The steam valve will probably be will up on the backhead somewhere off the steam fountain with the pipe feeding down to the injector.

The way the system works might be helpful to know.  The injector takes water from the tank controlled through a valve in the injector body - the water is either on or off but can be controlled 'in between' to some extent by the valve.  The steam supply from the boiler to the injector will cause it to, in effect draw the water through the injector body and pass it under pressure into the boiler via the clack valve.  the operating qsequence is simple - turn on teh water suplly then the steam supply and watch teh overflow to make sure the injector 'picks up'.  Turning it off is simple a reverse of the turning on sequence - steam off first, then water.

So going in to the injector there is a water pipe from the tank and a steam pipe from the cab, coming out there is a water/steam pipe to the clack valve and the overflow.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Guest Isambarduk

The injector takes water from the boiler ...

Interesting concept but try 'takes water from the (tender) tank(s)' :-)

• RMweb Premium

The injector takes water from the boiler ...

Interesting concept but try 'takes water from the (tender) tank(s)' :-)

Thats recycling for you...

Hello

The  pipework  and  injector  provided  in  the  kit  above  looks similar  to  that  on  the  preserved  O2.

This  appears  on  IOW  O2s  during  there  later  life  and  presumably  some  mainland  ones  at  this  time.

However  earlier  photos  (pre  war)  show  a  different  injector  and  pipework  with the  injector  mounted  horizontally  tucked  right  up  under  the  running  plate,  these  match  build  drawings.  The  water  valve  was  part  of  the  injector,  later  fit  had  a  seperate  valve  remaining  in  this  location.  The  water  valve is  operated  by  a  vertical  rod  connected  to  a  short  lever  just  inboard  of  the  cab  opening 

The  photo  of  30200  above  shows  a  further  variation  with  a  vertically  mounted  injector  with  the  water  valve  bolted  direct  to  it  top  right.  The steam  pipe  would  be  opposite  this  behind  the  steps  (comes  from  under  the  cab  floor)

The  pipe  bottom  right  is  the delivery  pipe  to  the  clack  valves  on  the  boiler.

Opposite  this  behind  the  steps  would  be  the  overflow  pipe.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks all for the advice and assistance with the injectors. After a two week break doing other stuff I played with trying to modify the provided bits and pipes and then abandoned the idea.

Last week I dropped into the model shop in Sutton Coldfield market and picked up a variety of brass and copper tube. This afternoon I used these to fashion an approximation of the injectors.

Here's a few photos of them being made up - both were made on the same length of brass rod...

post-6675-0-20215200-1433709784.jpg

post-6675-0-22212000-1433709812.jpg

Then I forgot to take any photos until they were fitted (Ooops):

post-6675-0-62117500-1433709870.jpg

post-6675-0-88716700-1433709980.jpg

I think they will do.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

So then outside for an initial waft with some Halfords grey primer. The purpose is to show up any flaws...

post-6675-0-41813400-1433710308_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-93349000-1433710334_thumb.jpg

A couple of bits to have a look at again, then some more primer before we're on with the black.

• Like 10

Injectors look great - very satisfying to have done that, I imagine!

I did an exhaust steam injector for my 28, is similar style, wire, pipe, nuts, solder and I was as happy as a dog with multiple appendages.

Best

Simon

I take it that the pannier will be on the bench again soon...?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks folks - great to get to the primer milestone. Yes, making stuff from odds and sods is very rewarding, and easier now I'm building up a stock of useful raw materials.

There's still lots left to do, the small matter of getting the thing moving under its own power.

Once this loco is done I'm going to give kit building a break for a while and concentrate on moving the layout forwards.

The 1366 hasn't been forgotten and has had small bits of work done on it but it's still in the naughty corner ;-p

• Like 2

Is it plain black? I stuck to plain colours for the first few builds.

It looks good in primer and the injectors are an improvement.

I do not know about you but I get this strange feeling when I getting to the painting stage sort of disbelief . I find you keep thing there is loads to do then you look in the box look at the pictures trying to find something else to add. Then that moment dawns inside your head and you realise it is complete

• RMweb Premium

Yes, after the injectors were on, the only thing I could find that was missing was the top lamp iron on the bunker. Couldn't find anything else in the destructions or photos to add. So then, as you say, the disbelief that I'd done with the body. Result. Was determined to get the paint on today, the build is dragging on a bit.

Sadly the loco isn't plain black and will need some lining. I may yet subcontract...

Sadly the loco isn't plain black and will need some lining. I may yet subcontract...

What a lovely build, very detailed too. I like Jim's kits, I have two of his Jinties (don't ask how!!!), and I built one that went together so easy for my first etched kit.

As for lining, I once saw a lining pen demonstration by a Mr Moore I believe, it seemed to work rather well and quite easy to use by all accounts, although I believe it to be somewhat dearer than a bow pen.

I think Phoenix sell them as well

Jinty ;)