Connoisseur LSWR O2 for Pencarrow

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

If you push a suitably sized length of wire/rod inside the tube at the point where you are making the bend it is less likely to deform.  I did it with soft iron florists wire inside a brass tube for the flue pipe on the BCB signal box.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you push a suitably sized length of wire/rod inside the tube at the point where you are making the bend it is less likely to deform.  I did it with soft iron florists wire inside a brass tube for the flue pipe on the BCB signal box.

I remembered that trick and tried it a couple of times. It didn't help on the copper tube which just split or tore. The really bendy bits were made from copper (electrical) wire in the end.

Guest Isambarduk

"I find you keep thing there is loads to do then you look in the box look at the pictures trying to find something else to add"

I know what you mean.  I have found that it really helps to start making a still-to-do-list as I am nearing completion.  Every time that I look at the photos and I spot something that I have not yet made/fitted, even if it's not the part that I was looking at the photo for, I add it to the list.  Of course, although I do tick items off the list, it grows faster to begin with but eventually the rate of ticking items off exceeds the rate at which new ones are added until the list is fully ticked off.  Another advantage that I find for this scheme is that, inevitably, some tasks on the list are tricky or not very appealing, so I may choose to work on something else, but by the time that these tasks are the only ones left on the list they do not seem such a problem - perhaps because the end is in sight!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I trust that you are bringing the 02 to Barnstaple at the weekend .......

If I can find all the parts...it's spread all over the workbench at the moment. Must locate a certain signal box too...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

During the O2 build I looked and looked for a nice clear photo if the bunker rear of 30200. Found one but it was in shadow.

Obviously now that the body is just about ready for a spot of black paint I've found this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31514768@N05/22661068038/

post-6675-0-71728100-1505934615.jpg

Looks like the rear of the bunker was patched with an extra plate and the lamp irons were moved down / lower than expected. It also shows the arrangement of the bunker rear under the coal rails which isn't quite how I have it.

I could ignore it but things like this eat away at me...

• RMweb Premium

During the O2 build I looked and looked for a nice clear photo if the bunker rear of 30200. Found one but it was in shadow.

Obviously now that the body is just about ready for a spot of black paint I've found this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31514768@N05/22661068038/

Looks like the rear of the bunker was patched with an extra plate and the lamp irons were moved down / lower than expected. It also shows the arrangement of the bunker rear under the coal rails which isn't quite how I have it.

I could ignore it but things like this eat away at me...

Scratch the itch, before you paint it, you know it makes sense to do it now than later.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Any updates on this marvelous build?

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm going to disappoint you now and have to admit that I've done nothing for quite a while to finish the O2. It's currently in the condition shown below.

post-6675-0-95398200-1510994729_thumb.jpg

It's been a conscious decision to stop working on stock and target getting the track built. The idea being that once the track is down I will have something to test the stock on which means I can fettle their running before finishing them cosmetically. That's my excuse anyway.

The O2 has been very useful in testing the track though, even if it's only by finger power!

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I should also add that the 1366 hasn't been finished either but that's going to involve significantly more time/effort as it is going to get a completely new chassis.

I have however resisted my natural butterfly tendencies, which gravitate to starting new things, and haven't started the Beattie Well Tank or Bulleid Pacific kits... Oh the lure of shiny new things.

On the plus side I'm getting to the end of laying sleepers, chopping rail and gluing down chairs. Electrical droppers have been added as I go and soon I'll be moving on to wiring and making the turnouts move. Who knows 2018 could see locos moving on the layout!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I should also add that the 1366 hasn't been finished either but that's going to involve significantly more time/effort as it is going to get a completely new chassis.

I have however resisted my natural butterfly tendencies, which gravitate to starting new things, and haven't started the Beattie Well Tank or Bulleid Pacific kits... Oh the lure of shiny new things.

On the plus side I'm getting to the end of laying sleepers, chopping rail and gluing down chairs. Electrical droppers have been added as I go and soon I'll be moving on to wiring and making the turnouts move. Who knows 2018 could see locos moving on the layout!

When building both the track and the locos it is a classic chicken and egg situation. The answer is either to take your loco to a friends layout for testing or buy one of those rtr ones that are available now. In my case I was a member of the Gloucester 0 gauge group and could take things along meetings at Garden Layouts. Fortunately although the group had some very skilled members the group was more likely to offer helpful advice that mock ones efforts. Not that I think anyone would be mocking your locos. If you lived nearby I would lend you a loco for testing.

Don 

• RMweb Premium

Indeed Don, definitely chicken and egg. I suppose my egg is the nearly finished but not wired up O2 which runs nicely under finger power through all the turnouts.

There's also the RTR Heljan AC Railbus (which has a long wheelbase and dodgy wheelsets); the RTR Minerva 8750 pannier (which is my most recent acquisition); or the Ivatt 2-6-2 tank (built by Peter) which could be used to test the track under power.

So with that many eggs kicking around it was definitely time for the appearance of a chicken. I must admit I was worried that building my own track, including a very scary looking double slip, was a step too far. I didn't think I would be able to do it but, as with most things, the combination of helpful advice, studying various books and then plucking up the courage to have a go killed that fear.

I like the suggestion of test running stock on friends layouts, unfortunately I do have a slight issue in that respect...

post-6675-0-61874300-1511075683_thumb.jpg

...they are all 4mm (OO, EM, P4) modellers!

• Like 2

I know exactly how you feel. I have been busily laying US ng track (balsa wood ties and rail spiked to them and points made on a jig) and only have one operational loco. Even though I will be using On30 RTR none of the other locos I own have been "seen to" yet (weathering, new couplings, DCC sound decoders and programming). Granted this is not such a job as a brass kit build such as you have on the go (and I did for Dock Green) but it all takes time. 

When I get really bored with track laying I switch (no pun intended) to something else. At the moment the "something else" is often either buildings or scenery. Eventually the locos and rolling stock will get looked at.

KUTGW

Chaz

• Like 1