RMweb

Tolworth Showtrain 2014

Baby Deltic

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't 'Fence Houses' exhibited at RAILEX2013? I ask only because the publicity blurb says that this is the first time it has been exhibited in the south.

Regards

Technically speaking, of course, The North begins at Watford.....

I made the trip yesterday.  Getting there had its glitches, with a cancellation on SWT.  The electric loudspeaker lady at Clapham Junction gave an incomplete explanation, getting only as far as "due to" before falling silent.  There being no intelligence on the next non-stop train I resorted to a stopper, delaying my arrival at Surbiton.  Woe is me, I mused, for surely the 09.45 bus will have gone.  The presence of forty odd souls [hyphen optional] by bus stop NN indicated clearly that it had not.  As the drizzle began to be noticeable the vehicle arrived at 09.55, soon speeding through the teeming streets with its load of relieved punters and arriving soon enough for the queue at the venue not to have dispersed. 

There were some good layouts there, some more lesser-spotted than others.  Baby Deltic's Sumatra Road is a rare treat, being a very skilful evocation of the post war North London line with many signs of the blitz still in evidence.  One look at the station building tells the viewer exactly where it is supposed to be.   No doubt painstaking research established the correct proportion of Taylor Walker and Trumans pubs.  Harton Gill, another favourite, has many interesting features without appearing cluttered.  Fence Houses flew the flag for 2mm finescale and as befits its reputation performed impressively.

The mix of trade support was wide.  I do admire the efforts of some traders to unload junk - sorry, collectables - but some of it is beginning to look familiar.  Life is full of pleasant surprises and on one stall I found some old Mopok kits.  Now there's a name from the past!  I bought one to rescue a stalled project and will worry later about what to do with the bits that I cannot use, such as the wooden floor!

I share the views of others about the catering and will note the presence of the nearby outside outlet for future reference.   Perhaps the nice young ladies could have divvied up the tasks differently to reduce the length of the queue but then it is always easier to do other people's jobs than your own, isn't it?

A couple of other things made me smile.  The tannoy announcements asking exhibitionists to go to the exercise studio for their lunch prompted laughter the first time.  The other was the wrong numbering in the otherwise good show guide of some of the stands with a C prefix instead of E.  There has to be a joke somewhere about E numbers ...

Chris

Attended yesterday en masse from Southwark MRC and associates. Another excellent show from Jon and the team with a good mix of layouts and trade stands.

With regards to catering issues, we always get there early and go around the corner to Nik Naks cafe for breakfast, good food at reasonable prices and only five minutes walk. We were looking for a reviving cuppa at around one o'clock, but the catering was overwelmed, so we went round to Nik Naks again and then came back. Unfortunately, I think that Nik Naks are only open on the Saturday. Food for thought.

All the best

RB

A search on 'YELL' brought up a fair few cafes in KT6, unfortunately I don't know how to copy web addresses on this Hudl.

I wasn't able to go to this show, I've strained my back. Judging by the complaints I might have missed one that won't be missed if you get my drift.

Jon, you are missing my point.  Of course people need somewhere to sit and rest, but sitting in a corridor outside the disgusting toilets is not the best option for those who want to sit and possibly eat their own lunch.  Please extend an invitation to the Exhibition Manager to join me there for lunch next year and see how fast he changes his mind!

Terry I rather fear you have missed mine - once our exhibition managers mind is made up - it will never change - EVER, hell will freeze over, and the blocks of Stonehenge will eroded to dust before that happens, whatever your or I might want...

I wasn't able to go to this show, I've strained my back. Judging by the complaints I might have missed one that won't be missed if you get my drift.

If you were looking for fine dining then yes, best go elsewhere, but as a model railway show, I'd like to think you have missed one of the best.

Jon

Wasn't 'Fence Houses' exhibited at RAILEX2013? I ask only because the publicity blurb says that this is the first time it has been exhibited in the south.

Regards

The advertising leaflets and posters said it was the first time that Fence Houses had been exhibited south of London. Remarkable condidering the distance they have to travel to get there, set up. put on a tremendous show, and then pack away at the end of weekend. Not travelling back north until Monday morning. This is a fantastic peice of modelling and ifg you can get to see, make of point of going. We hope to have some pictures on web site shortly.

• RMweb Premium

I would first like to say thank you to the visitors, the exhibitors, the traders and the Tolworth club members for the 2 minutes of silence at 11.00 am today.

Secondly I would like to thank Lloyd (Baby Deltic) and Ian for a great weekend with Sumatra Road.

Jon Hall's demo of the Cameo Portrait cutter has made up my mind what is on my Xmas list this year.

Purchased an excellent book "Railway Snowploughs of the North East", by David and Claire Williamson, some of Mike King's billiant SR EMU drawings, David Larkins parcels stock book and a center coach for one of my Lima/Hornby Met-Cam DMUs, it is going to become a Buffet car for a 4 car NER unit.

• RMweb Gold

The American hall has become something of a tradition that I and many others have made special efforts to get to Tolworth for over the years so I think you'd need to make it very clear if you changed the theme as people now assume it will have that there ;)

Shame to miss it this year but with engineering works and a show in darkest Dorset yesterday I was unable to get there.

Archived