Mongrel HST

Just spotted a bit of a mongrel HST set in Edinburgh. It came in hauled by a class 67 and was mostly cross country, including the power cars but with a few East Coast coaches including an unbranded blue one scattered throughout. I assume it was heading fir Polmadie or thereabouts.

• RMweb Gold

Just spotted a bit of a mongrel HST set in Edinburgh. It came in hauled by a class 67 and was mostly cross country, including the power cars but with a few East Coast coaches including an unbranded blue one scattered throughout. I assume it was heading fir Polmadie or thereabouts.

Craigentinny is more likely.

hth

Definitely Craigie, Polmadie only deals with Mk3s in exceptional circumstances these days. This may of course be in connection with the imminent standing-down of XC sets as they run out of miles and, more pertinently, Arriva run out of cash huh.gif

Well it came in from the east end but it definately left heading west. I spose it could go round the sub but why when it could have gone straight into Craigentinny?

Unless it was bound for Springburn or Kilmarnock, of course...

Definitely Craigie, Polmadie only deals with Mk3s in exceptional circumstances these days. This may of course be in connection with the imminent standing-down of XC sets as they run out of miles and, more pertinently, Arriva run out of cash huh.gif

Whats this about? I thought the HSTs were central to Arriva getting the XC contract, they made such a thing about it at the time they won.

Reports are that 43321 had an impromptue sleep. A tripped relay was found. This was reset and restarted, but the smell of burning electrics was noticed as the engine room filled with smoke. :huh::lol: Hence the drag.

According to post by "55001" on WNXX, 43321 has a demic alternator. Set came to a stand on leaving Heaton due to a combination of wheelslip, being OEO and a 5mph speed limit on exit, meaning it blocked the line for around 20mins before setting back into the depot. Set taken to EC by the Newcastle Thunderbird (67008).

For reference, this is Cross Country set XC01 and powercars 43321+43301 with EC buffet 40805

Ta to the various. B)

I believe one of the five XC HST sets of trailers was going into store, but has gone into temporary hire with East Coast instead.

East Coast obviously want to use full catering on their services.

Well it came in from the east end but it definately left heading west. I spose it could go round the sub but why when it could have gone straight into Craigentinny?

There is no direct access from the Down ECML into Craigentinny Depot. Any such moves either have to run via Millerhill, or via Waverley and the Suburban Line, to enter Craigentinny from the connection off the Portobello/Niddrie South Jc route.

Vheers, Matt

Ahhh, I seeee! And me a local with route knowledge too! I should known that. Forgot you can only get access to the route next to the wheel lathe from the Niddrie route. Mind you, he could have just come straight through Millerhill yard and into craigie. Thunderbird pilot might not have had the route knowledge through the yard.,

Many years ago I saw a small mix match set whilst waiting for a train at Exeter, 1 power car in Virgin Livery the other in Inter city with 2 blue grey Mk3 in between, those days I rarely carried a camera with me.

Ian G

The answer to that is "Not a lot" think I saw 1 Pendie and that's it. That place isn't half a shadow of it's former self.

In fairness, the fact that you only saw one Pendolino at Polmadie reflects the fact that it has stepped out of the shadows of its former self! The set you saw will be one allocated a balanced B-exam, and the remainder of its maintenance allocation was no doubt out earning revenue.

I must confess that the Polmadie of my youth* was far more visually exciting than the one I worked at a couple of decades later, sadly that earlier interest was at the expense of efficiency and best practice (yawn....)

Don't worry, I won't tell Mr Swanson you thought his depot was on the verge of closure wink.gif

* other people's youths are also available

Archived