Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Derby Museum Midland Railway model

ejstubbs

When I was a kid living in Derby in the 1970s, I used to enjoy going to the Museum and Art Gallery on the Strand on Saturday mornings to see their 7mm Midland Railway model running.  I was musing about it the other day and had a look online to see whether the model was still in existence.  It appears that it moved out of the Strand premises to the Silk Mill some time in 1980 but I can't find any reference to it after that date - apart from this article in the Derby Telegraph mourning its demise, and suggesting that it last ran in April 2011 (or maybe 1980, the article isn't 100% clear).

Does anyone know what happened to it - at least to the locomotives and rolling stock, if not the layout itself?

Update: this entry on the Gauge O Guild web site suggests that the model was effectively mothballed around 1981 and is now dismantled.  (It seems that you have to join the guild in order to view the slide show.)

I used to look at this in the 1950s on a Saturday morning when it was running.  I seem to remember that the scenic side was made by museum staff but the rolling stock was provided by the Derby Model Railway Club (if that was the correct name then).  So maybe the stock was all privately owned and has reverted to the owners when it was mothballed/dismantled.

One magazine rated this the second best model railway in the country - after Mr Norris's.  It was superb.  Apart from the railway there were a number of beautifully made rolling stock models in glass cases.

What a pity it has not been preserved in a city that was the HQ of the MR and very much dominated by the railway for so long.  Apart from the railway, Derby Museum didn't have much of interest.  Like other city museums it tried to be a mini British Museum with a bit of everything from around the world rather than trying to record local history.

Mike

Hi All,

The Derby Museum & Art Gallery layout was indeed dismantled and moved to the Industrial Museum. I believe the original layout was a scenic section with fiddle yards underneath and so was difficult to maintain the hidden tracks. The opportunity was taken to "open out" the original plan, add a branch line on a shallow gradient and bring the fiddle up to the same level and behind the scenic section, with large operating well in between. The layout had been moved piecemeal and some sections were pretty big.

This was my introduction to 0 gauge as I started helping with the trackwork in 1983 and we used the original method of using cast metal chairs, holding the rail in place with real wooden keys! All the curves were superelevated and it all looked most immpressive. I did know Alan Doig through this but he was also a friend of the family, I also knew Mike Steadman who certainly built some wonderful "museum quality" MR models that ran on the layout when it was unfinished.

By about 1985 or so most of the trackwork had been finished and scenic work was taking place, rebuilding the old scenics and blending them in with the new sections. However, my association more or less ended as I was busy chasing girls, drinking and so on but I did see some of the guys around and about in Derby. I heard that a few years later the layout was almost complete but someone(?) had decided that the volunteer work was not good enough, everything was ripped out and a team of professional model makers was employed to do it all again.

I don't really know but I think this was probably in the early 1990's?

Maybe someone from the Mickleover group may care to add further as I've been gone from Derby for nearly ten years now.

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

I must admit that I haven't been there for some time and so I'm not up to date but the Silk Mill was closed for some time due to lack of funding but all of the Derby Museums are now run by a Trust rather than the City Council http://www.derbymuseums.org/thesilkmill/

The Silk Mill also houses the Midland Railway Study Centre http://www.midlandrailwaystudycentre.org.uk/index.html

The following is a quote I found on their website here dated Sept 2013 http://www.midlandrailwaystudycentre.org.uk/news.htm

The same goes for the Museum's 7mm Midland model railway, which many people will be familiar with. It continues to be developed, albeit at a much slower pace than before, and is part of the Museum's long term plans.

Another Google search found this entry which also indicates the layout is still there http://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/directory/midland-railway-study-centreopen-day

I know that up to a couple of years ago when it first closed, David Wright of Dovedale Models was regularly providing buildings for the layout and some recent photos can be seen here - however they say a scale of 1:32 which is rather confusing unless it if for a separate static display ? ? http://www.dovedalemodels.co.uk/buildings-for-derby-industrial-museum-model-railway/

If no one else replies, I'll ask at the Club on Tuesday to see if anyone has been recently

Hope that helps

Mike

Thanks everyone for your input.  Good to hear from other folks with memories of the model in its original location.

John, great to read of your involvement with the model in the past.

Mike B, relieved to hear that it looks like there is still a model at the Silk Mill.  If Dovedale Models have been providing buildings then that would seem to chime with John's comment about the volunteers' scenic work being replaced by professionally-produced models.  If you could ask around for more information, I would very much appreciate that.  It would be a great shame if too much of the original model had been lost, especially the rolling stock.

If it's simply been hibernating and is going to re-emerge bigger and better then I might even have to find an excuse to pop down to Derby again one day to visit it, and see if I can re-create some of that Saturday morning excitement!  I might even try to get a tour of the Roundhouse.  In fact, looking at your signature, it looks like your club's exhibition there in May next year might provide just the motivation I need to make the trip.

The old place does seem to have changed a lot since I was there as a lad.  Hard to believe that the Baseball Ground with its skew-wiff stand has gone completely.  At least when Highbury was redeveloped they retained the listed stands; it's disappointing that no part of the Baseball Ground was ever listed.

I visited the Silk Mill a couple of years ago with my class on a school trip. The model was there and on display. I think it was at the rear of the top floor. The stock was on display in cabinets. I know that they had a few running days each year. I used to see these advertised in Chris` Railway Book Shop before the shop closed. I don't know if the layout remains in this state at present.

There is a Midland layout being built in the Silk Mill but it has no or very few parts from the original Museum layout as this was removed with hammers and saws a good few years ago by the then staff at the museum (i.e. trashed.)

The new layout is larger and built with modern materials, but is every bit as detailed and well researched and is progressing slowly but steadily. They do have running days which unfortunately don't appear to be as well publicised as they could be.

I must declare an interest here as I have been producing windows and other items for the models over the past few years. It is well worth a visit, if you can find out it's open days.

Phil T.

Yes, that original Kirtley layout was a sight to behold. Spent many a Saturday morning watching the trains go round and round - or then watch one suddenly grind to a stop with a derailment.

Never saw any shunting take place in the (rather limited) sidings, or any movements around the beautifully made loco shed though.

• Like 1

The old place does seem to have changed a lot since I was there as a lad.  Hard to believe that the Baseball Ground with its skew-wiff stand has gone completely.  At least when Highbury was redeveloped they retained the listed stands; it's disappointing that no part of the Baseball Ground was ever listed.

To be honest though, much of the Baseball Ground was a tip.......

When DCFC played there, on a still evening you could hear the roar if Derby scored a goal from where I then lived.

• Like 2

There is a Midland layout being built in the Silk Mill but it has no or very few parts from the original Museum layout as this was removed with hammers and saws a good few years ago by the then staff at the museum (i.e. trashed.)

Please tell me they didn't take hammers and saws to the rolling stock?!

The new layout is larger and built with modern materials, but is every bit as detailed and well researched and is progressing slowly but steadily. They do have running days which unfortunately don't appear to be as well publicised as they could be.

Good to hear that a replacement layout of similar quality is under construction.  It does seem daft not to tell folks about it, though, if all this time, effort and money is being spent on it.

On the subject of the SIlk Mill, I wonder if they still have the exhibit on Derby Research? Last time I went about 5-6 years back it still had the display on 'upcoming projects', including the CATE timetable inquiry computer system. I remember that being decommissioned in 1999 rather than spend the money making it Y2K compliant! 

Please tell me they didn't take hammers and saws to the rolling stock?!

Don't panic, AFAIK the rolling stock was (hopefully IS) stored with some on display in the Silk Mill Industrial Museum Some of the locos have even been overhauled and repainted.

to John E: -  The low level sidings at the original layput in the Wardwick could hardly be described as 'Fiddle Yards' as there was no chance you could fiddle with anything with that headroom! Storage sidings would be a more appropriate term although in its latter days the inaccesible pointwork was becoming in need of some signifcant maintenance.

I can also remember the original Layout and like others spent many happy hours watching the railway operate on Saturday mornings.  I was in Derby visiting friends the other week and was unable to view progress on the layout which is very slow but of an excellent standard.  It looked as if the upper floors of the museum had been closed off.  I know the Industrial Museum was closed for a while for the removal of asbestos so I'm told, however it would be good to know what the future plans for the layout are, especially during this time of cutbacks by local authorities.  Incidentally I seem to rember that Railway Modler featured the layout as railway of the month in October 1968 I think.  I remember buying a copy as a teenager but then lost the magazine I keep looking for a replacement but it's very illusive, you can get any other Railway modler for 1968 but not October for some reason.

I was in Derby city centre this morning and walked over to view the Silk Mill / Industrial Museum. Sadly the museum opens 3 - 9pm on a Thursday and was shut during my time in town. It does look like only the lower floor is open at present so the layout would probably not be viewable anyway. I will try and visit again the next time I am passing.

Don't panic, AFAIK the rolling stock was (hopefully IS) stored with some on display in the Silk Mill Industrial Museum Some of the locos have even been overhauled and repainted.

Excellent news; I'm surprised at how relieved I am to hear that!

Incidentally I seem to rember that Railway Modler featured the layout as railway of the month in October 1968 I think.  I remember buying a copy as a teenager but then lost the magazine I keep looking for a replacement but it's very illusive, you can get any other Railway modler for 1968 but not October for some reason.

railmags.org claim to have it in stock.

IMHO the only part of the Baseball Ground worth preserving was the pitch itself, just to prove that they really did once play First Division football in conditions like that! Rolled mud with lines painted on it!

Having said that, I do have good memories of visiting the layout in the museum on Saturday mornings, (liquid) lunch in the 'Green Man', then off to watch Derby and whoever were unfortunate to be visiting that day attempt to play on that terrible surface.

....Some of the locos have even been overhauled and repainted.

Brian Badger did a lot of coach refurbishment and painting too.

I think in the late 1980's.  I was a regular visitor to his workshop, they were in the process of be 'worked on' then.

Incidentally I seem to rember that Railway Modler featured the layout as railway of the month in October 1968 I think.  I remember buying a copy as a teenager but then lost the magazine I keep looking for a replacement but it's very illusive, you can get any other Railway modler for 1968 but not October for some reason.

My listing gives it as featuring in:

Model Railway Constructor May 1957

Model Railway News (or whatever it was calling itself at the time) June 1964 and Sept 1971.

I do know that one of the (at the time) big names in model railway photograph (Brian Monaghan? - probably not spelt right) came to take some photos of the layout on 4 March 1967 (which date doesn't fit in with any of the above) during my time as trying to look after it. As I was pre-booked to do Didcot to Chester and back with Pendennis Castle on that day, that took priority.

Further to my earlier post I was looking on Ebay today and came across a number of copies of Railway Modeller No 216, Volume 19 for October 1968 up for sale.  Kirtley station from the Midland layout is featured on the front cover with the caption Midland Magnificence it was railway of the month for October with photographs by Brian Monaghan.

• RMweb Premium

My listing gives it as featuring in:

Model Railway News (or whatever it was calling itself at the time) June 1964 and Sept 1971.

In 1971 it was called Model Railways and is on page 52. Photos by Gordon Heywood.

Railway Modeller February 1968 has Kirtley station as cover photo

Railway Modeller October 1968 as article 'Midland Magnificence' as previously discussed & different photo of Kirtley station on cover.

Railway Modeller February 1972 has Kirtley double-framed 0-6-0 as cover photo.

Most of these issues available from Magazine Exchange

http://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/

• 6 months later...

The next date is at the end of this month

The next date actually seems to be this coming Saturday: http://www.derbymuseums.org/events/railway5/#.VUovjs4vSwE

It looks like using the Search Our Events box and entering "Model Railway" will return the upcoming operating sessions that are scheduled.  There don't seem to be any scheduled after the end of May at the moment.

Hmm, looks like I might have a good reason to visit the old place sometime in the near future.