Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hi Merf, Its Eastleigh NR depot( Dutton lane) ..no idea what the F/L lorry is ..at Maritime F/L term southampton, again I pass they often so will have a look for front end I.D ..heres another modern one for you ..EWS lorry up EH yard unloading mini tamper..cheers YVM

Hi all, I don't suppose that anybody has more images of this Volvo?

post-6833-0-37933600-1311358044_thumb.jp

Cheers, Chris.

Edited by Sunters

Hi all, I don't suppose that anybody has more images of this Volvo?

post-6833-0-37933600-1311358044_thumb.jp

Cheers, Chris.

Nice to see the progress on your thread. I fancy one myself, and may have a go now I have seen yours so far.

A few of my recent jobs from a little bit earlier. All red/cream livery.

TGJ104 a Leyland Beaver of the Southern Region. A number of these were used for transfer of containers of meat from Nine Elms yard to Smithfield market, usually with drawbar trailers.  This is a EFE model with a Langley cab of the later style.

post-1625-0-02690700-1371903144.jpg

This is the earlier cab, as produced by Corgi Trackside as an 8 wheeler flat. There were no 8 wheelers so a hacksaw converted this into a Beaver.

post-1625-0-76439900-1371903159.jpg

The B T model of the same, as it came out of the box, it just needs the body and rear of the chassis shortening, along with a Southern style headboard to the body. A very quick job to produce an accurate model.

post-1625-0-44433000-1371903203.jpg

Another B T model, converted to a Morris FG 4 ton open. One of a number transferred from the Western to Midland Region in 1963. Grille altered and body shortened. The curved kerb windows are a bit too long and benefit from a little filler, which then allows room for the fleet number.

post-1625-0-59588400-1371903217.jpg

A Bedford CALV van picked up cheaply, by R Parker. I don't think these are available now. A nice model, just needs painting.

post-1625-0-66084600-1371903235.jpg

The Scammell 3 ton Mechanical Horse. In my opinion the best model of one of these made. By Alan Brackenborough in the mid 1960s.

post-1625-0-69974800-1371903255.jpg

A Scammell 6 ton Mechanical Horse from the Oxford model. As with most manufacturers they produced the standard factory product. The railways normally specified their own style with an upright windscreen. Modified with a hacksaw, new screen and some filler.

post-1625-0-66257600-1371903272.jpg

A Commer Superpoise from 1946 from the Langley model. Used by the LMS, and also the LNER.

post-1625-0-23954600-1371903305.jpg

Just arrived from Oxford, the Austin K8 van as found at Swanage on the Southern Region. Registration and fleet numbers from an educated guess of the period.

post-1625-0-45362000-1371903318.jpg

Merf.

• Like 2

A great picture, unusual, yes. Only the Western Region had any of these, as artics, vans and flats.  But does'nt the trailer look small !

I'm not sure but I think it's an Austin, despite the WR usually buying Morris badged ones.

Yes, it is the Austin version. I worked as a Vanguard [drivers mate] at the Bristol Cartage depot 1960-63. I remember being on this one [8073D ] for a while at this time, also its sister 8066D. There was several of these Austins at Bristol at this time, also one or two of the Morris versions.

Keith.

Yes, it is the Austin version. I worked as a Vanguard [drivers mate] at the Bristol Cartage depot 1960-63. I remember being on this one [8073D ] for a while at this time, also its sister 8066D. There was several of these Austins at Bristol at this time, also one or two of the Morris versions.

Keith.

Thanks Keith

My records amended to add 8066D at Bristol and confirmed as Austins.

Merf.

Thanks Keith

Merf.

8066D was employed running backwards and forwards between Temple Meads cartage and Lyons  bakery depot at Brislington  trading estate with BD containers. Always cakes to eat on the return run. :smile_mini:

Keith.

8066D was employed running backwards and forwards between Temple Meads cartage and Lyons  bakery depot at Brislington  trading estate with BD containers. Always cakes to eat on the return run. :smile_mini:

Keith.

Sounds like my kind of job. :P

Sounds like my kind of job. :P

I think I may have worked with the regular driver at Butlers in Avonmouth in the mid-1970s.. He wasn't called George, was he? My boss, Ray Morris, was another ex-Temple Meads hand (I think he'd been a tyre fitter).

Edited by Fat Controller

I think I may have worked with the regular driver at Butlers in Avonmouth in the mid-1970s.. He wasn't called George, was he? My boss, Ray Morris, was another ex-Temple Meads hand (I think he'd been a tyre fitter).

Was his name George Frampton ?

Thanks Keith

Merf.

A few other units at Bristol at this time, if it is of any use for your records. Thornycroft Nippy JXA 348 [8624], the one I was on for the majority of my time there, also another Nippy,  Fleet number  8588, that we used when 8624 was off the road. One Bedford I remember that I was on for a while was 8427. These were all artic units of course

Keith.

If it was George Frampton  he would have been in his mid/late 30s in the 1970s.

Keith.

A few other units at Bristol at this time, if it is of any use for your records. Thornycroft Nippy JXA 348 [8624], the one I was on for the majority of my time there, also another Nippy,  Fleet number  8588, that we used when 8624 was off the road. One Bedford I remember that I was on for a while was 8427. These were all artic units of course

Keith.

Thanks again Keith, it all helps in the quest.

Merf.

The Thornycroft Nippy that received the mostly plywood cab with sliding doors at Swindon entered service in 1948, I  believe, for service on the Western Region.

So, I presume the Southern , LNER etc. liverys as produced by Trackside are complete fantasy.

Keith.

• RMweb Premium

The Thornycroft Nippy that received the mostly plywood cab with sliding doors at Swindon entered service in 1948, I  believe, for service on the Western Region.

So, I presume the Southern , LNER etc. liverys as produced by Trackside are complete fantasy.

Keith.

Yes, it's a GWR cab.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I found this worthy successor to the old BR Bedford BRUFF. Its one of the new unimogs, but with a proper box body, similar to that used on the old BRUFFs, looks good, and I want one!

Cheers

Ringo

post-303-0-00635200-1376084669.jpg

Merf,

yes there is, And I go to Wabtec/LH Plant sometimes, and there's always some knocking about there, either as new or being serviced/repaired.

I would need a special variant that's a Unimog, but modified by Hegenscheibt/MFD for use with their jacking/recovery equipment (as were the BRUFFS).

Cant see our company investing that type of money though, we make do with Transits and a special modified trailer....

Cheers

R

See this old warrior Leyland DAF  R304PNK about often on container work  , beleive it's ex Freightliner looking at colours .

Good example of how older vehicles would not be out of place on your layout.

post-3430-0-44137000-1376399223_thumb.jpg

Edited by jcb 3c
  • Like 1

JCB,

When Freightliners lorries come up for grabs when they are off leased, there is usually a fight for them, mainly because they don't rack up mega mileages, as they are predominantly used for trip workings rather than long distance, and are well looked after.

Except one that is used a lot for moving wheelsets about Freightliner Maintenance depots in the UK and Springburn/Wolverton, and I think its the same lorry, but one used to do trip workings with wheelsets for 66s, to Poland.....its a bit odd driving into a PKP depot in Wroclaw, and being greeted by a new British registered Freightliner truck parked up in the depot!

Cheers

ringo