• RMweb Premium

As we're on a "rail replacement bus service" detour at the moment, I've just bought a pair of Dennis Dart buses, half shares with a mate.

They are straight from service, so no major restoration (we hope!), but they are stored away until such time as we can get them repainted (a condition of sale) and tested.  That won't be for a little while though as the co-owner is also part owner of a Routemaster, Bristol VR and Bristol built Leyland Olympian, and he wants to finish the refurbishment of the Routemaster before we start on one of the Darts. The Dennis Dart is probably about the last of the line of rugged simplicity which lends itself to 'farmer's barn' style restoration and maintenance.

• 3 weeks later...

As we're on a "rail replacement bus service" detour at the moment, I've just bought a pair of Dennis Dart buses, half shares with a mate.

They are straight from service, so no major restoration (we hope!), but they are stored away until such time as we can get them repainted (a condition of sale) and tested.  That won't be for a little while though as the co-owner is also part owner of a Routemaster, Bristol VR and Bristol built Leyland Olympian, and he wants to finish the refurbishment of the Routemaster before we start on one of the Darts. The Dennis Dart is probably about the last of the line of rugged simplicity which lends itself to 'farmer's barn' style restoration and maintenance.

Which ones have you bought Adrian, Local ones?

• RMweb Premium

Rob,

Oh yes, they're local ones  :yes:

We've bought ex Badgerline L225VHU and ex City Line N557LHU. The later probably worked on the Temple Meads - Centre - Clifton 8/9 (to keep a railway relevance in the topic!) and 225 was Bath based all it's life. They are stored at a local operator's yard at the moment, but not many miles away from where I spotted ex Bath Olympian G907TWS in someone's garden on Saturday.

• Like 1

I've lost track of this thread somewhat, but I don't recall this shot:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32200120@N08/11351309425/

An unbadged Morris/BMC FFK(?) tractor unti with trailer and insulated meat container in yellow in Windsor. Interesting shot.

Adam

They were Morris' Adam, Western Region always bought the Morris versions of the BMC range. Very early purchases in yellow livery. Some in the Midlands transferred to the LMR. 

I fancy doing a model with a Frank Waller cab on a B T chassis.

Merf.

Rob,

Oh yes, they're local ones  :yes:

We've bought ex Badgerline L225VHU and ex City Line N557LHU. The later probably worked on the Temple Meads - Centre - Clifton 8/9 (to keep a railway relevance in the topic!) and 225 was Bath based all it's life. They are stored at a local operator's yard at the moment, but not many miles away from where I spotted ex Bath Olympian G907TWS in someone's garden on Saturday.

Sorry missed the post Adrian, excellent news, will have to have them on the Trainwest shuttle when they are finished!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Everyone seems to have moved to 'Road Vehicles Group' but there is a really good article with plenty of photos on BR / NCL road parcel vans at Woking depot in the 1970s in current July 'Vintage Road Scene' magazine . Including a BR Atkinson Borderer which moved 'BRUTES' full of parcels on long distance because it was cheaper than a train !

http://www.roadscene.com/view_issue.asp?ID=5920

Edited by jcb 3c
  • Like 1

I thoroughly enjoyed the article, as there were a number of vehicle types that I had not come across before.

We talked some time ago about moving to the road vehicle section, which I for one am totally in favour of. However as Adam started off the thread, I feel he should have the say in the matter.

Merf.

I thoroughly enjoyed the article, as there were a number of vehicle types that I had not come across before.

We talked some time ago about moving to the road vehicle section, which I for one am totally in favour of. However as Adam started off the thread, I feel he should have the say in the matter.

Merf.

I had completely forgotten about it, truth be told, but I am happy for this to happen so will alert the mods accordingly.

Adam

• 1 month later...

Everyone seems to have moved to 'Road Vehicles Group' but there is a really good article with plenty of photos on BR / NCL road parcel vans at Woking depot in the 1970s in current July 'Vintage Road Scene' magazine . Including a BR Atkinson Borderer which moved 'BRUTES' full of parcels on long distance because it was cheaper than a train !

http://www.roadscene.com/view_issue.asp?ID=5920

Many thanks for the link. Hadn't heard of that 'Vintage Road Scene' magazine before - does it often feature articles that are rail related? Can anyone suggest any other good articles worth reading?

Wow that shot at Glasgow is brilliant. Seddons everywhere and for the modeller, superb shots of the tops of the trailers.

Heritage Commercials has had an article on railway transport for the last four months by Bill Aldridge (June-Sept)

I started a new thread in the Road Vehicles group to separate models from the real thing, but I thought somebody was going to move this thread to there?

Merf.

Wow that shot at Glasgow is brilliant. Seddons everywhere and for the modeller, superb shots of the tops of the trailers.

Heritage Commercials has had an article on railway transport for the last four months by Bill Aldridge (June-Sept)

I started a new thread in the Road Vehicles group to separate models from the real thing, but I thought somebody was going to move this thread to there?

Merf.

I've enjoyed so many of your posts that I'm just really chuffed that you liked this one and that it was new to you! Keep up the great work.

• 1 month later...

Nice working pic here and interior  of a  NCL Commer Walk Thru  van LJH799J  ( from one of the highspots  in British cinema !)-

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_746013-Commer-Walk-Thru-KC40-1971.html

Nice detail shot. I have that one as allocated to Slough, fits in with the London Country bus in background, and was there one of the film studios in that area (Ealing ?)

Merf.

A quick project for those doing the early 50s. The Oxford Bedford OWS artic with a cab swap from the GWR livery to the BR one from the ex military OY in BR livery.

Renumbered to represent one bought by the Southern Railway during the war.

Coupled to the Corgi 6ton trailer.

post-1625-0-20127900-1413200608_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

s&t yellow crewbus - does anybody have dimensions for the pole carrier body as fitted to bedford tk's ? i was going to use oxfords as a guide to scratchbuild a 2mm version , seems it is not v accurate though . As an aside ,is this body the same as fitted to the gamecocks? 

s&t yellow crewbus - does anybody have dimensions for the pole carrier body as fitted to bedford tk's ? i was going to use oxfords as a guide to scratchbuild a 2mm version , seems it is not v accurate though . As an aside ,is this body the same as fitted to the gamecocks?

The problem with the Oxford model is the wheelbase being too long and therefore the body was distorted to fit the chassis. I have some dimensions, and will look them out. The earlier body on the Gamecocks was similar but a bit smaller. I will see what I can sort out for you tomorrow, a bit late now.

Merf.

• Like 1

The problem with the Oxford model is the wheelbase being too long and therefore the body was distorted to fit the chassis. I have some dimensions, and will look them out. The earlier body on the Gamecocks was similar but a bit smaller. I will see what I can sort out for you tomorrow, a bit late now.

Merf.

A comparison between the (fictional blue) Oxford version and my own modified one.

Wheelbase should be 12'7", so shorten wheelbase, correct window size and spacing and heighten body.

Gamecock drawing for comparison (copyright BRB)

If you would like some bodybuilders photos, please send ma a P M.

Merf.

post-1625-0-80399800-1413917518_thumb.jpgpost-1625-0-57691600-1413917522_thumb.jpg

• Like 3