I think the Blackpool BRUFF has been gone for some time, theirs was far less complex than the BR ones, basically had small rail wheels (smaller than the BR BRUFFS) and also had no hydraulic gear fitted for recovery on derailemts.

It also has standard road wheels / axles and no 4x4 equipement, unlike its BR counterparts.

Cheers

ringo

Blackpool 941 (D801TCP) was withdrawn in late 2007 and I believe scrapped.

Currently the road-rail fleet consists of 2 Unimogs, both purhased second-hand 939 c 2004 from mainland europe, 938 2006 from Brecknell Willis, formerly used on the Midland Metro.

post-491-0-94498800-1361055702.jpg

post-491-0-30140500-1361055724.jpg

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=56182&p=1257314&hilit=national+carriers#p1257314

Interesting selection of vehicles in this picture posted on trucknet  Mon Jul 23 2012 , couple of Commer PB s in middle , were these used on parcels ? and what is the artic tractor on left?

Edited by jcb 3c

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=56182&p=1257314&hilit=national+carriers#p1257314

Interesting selection of vehicles in this picture posted on trucknet  Mon Jul 23 2012 , couple of Commer PB s in middle , were these used on parcels ? and what is the artic tractor on left?

A great variety in the photo. I think the artic you mean is a Ford D300, the standard small artic that replaced Scammels and Bantams. Other artics are Bedford TKEs for larger 8 ton use. Also visible a couple of B R FGs (one in green) and BR Commer PB, not parcels but engineers vehicles.

This is probably an ex BR maintainance facility which National Carriers inherited in 1970, and then National Carrierrs continued to do the maintenance for BR vehicles for some years after.

Merf.

Nice find mate.

Two still in use Austin or Morris FFK artics on a farm , scammell couplings (I think)  with flat trailers , . Reg. no.s  CCO345B and 712EJO. S'pose they may be ex  BMC as they used a lot of these as well and  reg.JO = Oxford.

Another link-

http://www.reallyloud.co.uk/index.htm

Edited by jcb 3c

Two still in use Austin or Morris FFK artics on a farm , scammell couplings (I think)  with flat trailers , . Reg. no.s  CCO345B and 712EJO. S'pose they may be ex  BMC as they used a lot of these as well and  reg.JO = Oxford.

Another link-

http://www.reallyloud.co.uk/index.htm

Good nick for their age. However not ex B R, as the did not register in Plymouth or Oxford.  However they appear to be the same model as the B R ones I mentioned above. Incidentaly among the first vehicles delivered in yellow(1963)

Merf.

Something I had wanted to do for some time was to see if a decent model will come out of the EFSI Commer Walkthru from about 35 years ago. Quite cheap at the time and now hard to find.

It scales at exactly 4mm scale and is based on the 2ton model.  The type most used by BR and NCL with both the factory made van and coachbuilt bodies, the model is of the former.  One of the main problems is the rear wheelarch, too high for the wizzwheels.

Job 1 is throw away the wheels, and replace with what I used was the smallest of those by B T.  To alter the wheelarches, I found it easier to file the sides flat, getting rid of the wheelarch and rubbing strip. Add a new side from the door back to the rear, from 20 thou. plastic card, and then a new rear with plastic to incorporate the roller shutter door. A bit of plastic surgery to produce the diesel longer bonnet.

The blue & white liveryintroduced in 1974 added along with my own made transfers.

I like it, a nice change from yellow and red/cream.  Suitable for any layout from 1974-81.

post-1625-0-70246500-1362240630_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-66285300-1362240662_thumb.jpg

Merf.

• Like 5

I still have a half-done one, though I left the rubbing strip and used some Wiking wheels I'd bought at Beatties in Holborn (the old ex-Bassett Lowke shop). Quite a striking livery, much nicer than the yellow I thought and not entirely unlike the old Seaspeed hovercraft colours.

Edited by BernardTPM

I still have a half-done one, though I left the rubbing strip and used some Wiking wheels I'd bought at Beatties in Holborn (the old ex-Bassett Lowke shop). Quite a striking livery, much nicer than the yellow I thought and not entirely unlike the old Seaspeed hovercraft colours.

Would like to see your version too, when done Bernard.  The reason for removing the rubbing strip is it got damaged when fileing off the wheel arches which are too high up. The extra 20 thou. thickness of the side gives a bit more depth to the recess where ths sliding doors go.

Merf.

Bringing things more up to date, I have posted a few photographs of Netto Rail vehicles in the Yard at York, taken over the past 12 months or so. They are at the end of http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/road  They keep them remarkably clean!

Regards

Paul Bartlett

Thanks Paul.

Since retiring, a lot has changed since the 'anything so long as it's a Ford' days. Lot more variety now, but access to these sort of places is no longer available, so glad you have made them available.

Cheers Merf.

Thanks Paul.

Since retiring, a lot has changed since the 'anything so long as it's a Ford' days. Lot more variety now, but access to these sort of places is no longer available, so glad you have made them available.

Cheers Merf.

Most of these (admittedly not all) are through the fence off Cinder Lane, 100 yards from home! As I have said before, I stupidly ignored the Jarvis days - I have always thought they went belly up because of their bill for purchasing new road vehicles; they seemed endless and got new ones when a wash was needed :jester:

It is your interest that has stimulated me to take a few when the weather is pleasant.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

I walked Cinder Lane , York on Sunday , large variety of Network Rail Euro vans and pick ups  , mainly Trannies with a ladder on the side, but no camera !

Does anyone know when they stopped making LDV Pilots , saw a Freightliner one the other day going into their Wilton depot , must be getting on a bit .

I walked Cinder Lane , York on Sunday , large variety of Network Rail Euro vans and pick ups  , mainly Trannies with a ladder on the side, but no camera !

Does anyone know when they stopped making LDV Pilots , saw a Freightliner one the other day going into their Wilton depot , must be getting on a bit .

A quick look on 'flickr' shows 54 reg Pilot and Convoy models and 55 reg. LDV Maxus.  so sometine in 2005 maybe.

Merf.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of these (admittedly not all) are through the fence off Cinder Lane, 100 yards from home! As I have said before, I stupidly ignored the Jarvis days - I have always thought they went belly up because of their bill for purchasing new road vehicles; they seemed endless and got new ones when a wash was needed :jester:

It is your interest that has stimulated me to take a few when the weather is pleasant.

Paul

Just a very few more have been posted at http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/road  The newest are at the end of the collection. I did manage to catch the lorry with the extending jib, but failed to record the registration number - I was running a bit late!

Paul Bartlett

One more from my workbench. Before the Bedford TK was used for S&T workshop vehicles, the normal chassis was the Karrier Gamecock. From when I started with the S&T , the wagon was always called the Gamecock despite it being a Bedford.

I came across a picture on 'flickr' of a railtour at Nottingham and in the background was a green S&T wagon with an unusual cab. A close look showed it to be one of the late model Gamecocks which I had never seen before. My lists show a few of these being new in 1966. S here is the result.

Oxford model Bedford TK with a new cab by RTI (F Waller) the Commer C with a few changes. The Oxford body heavily rebuilt to look a bit more like the real thing.

post-1625-0-09520700-1364135199.jpg

post-1625-0-50627300-1364135214.jpg

post-1625-0-27985300-1364135229.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent , the Commer C range is another truck thats being ignored by the  main diecast model makers ( I think).

Look at street scenes from the 70s and there are lots of them about , particularly with councils . Seem to remember many councils were very fond of  Perkins diesels, which the Commer had.

A friend passed me this photo the other day, showing Brayford Wharf East in Lincoln. There's a Ford Anglia 105E bottom left, so it must be post September 1959 in date:

post-6843-0-25200300-1364924331_thumb.jpg

Would I be correct in assuming that the Bedford artic (K-Series?) in the middle is railway-owned?

Kevin

Lovely pic I think its a Bedford O , looks BR but a lot of other businesse  had similar liverys ,however I think there was a big BR goods yard off to the left of pic . Bet this view isn't half as interesting today !

Edited by jcb 3c
  • Like 1

Lovely pic I think its a Bedford O , looks BR but a lot of other businesse  had similar liverys ,however I think there was a big BR goods yard off to the left of pic . Bet this view isn't half as interesting today !

Cerainly is B R. The fleet number is in the Eastern Region layout.  The model is The Bedford OSS (model O, short, Scammell coupling)

Merf.

Facinating picture.

• Like 1