Thanks Brian, I wonder where they originated from. I have a couple of pictures of similar containers at Newcastle.

I think the Newcastle ones may have been for malt; there's a photo of one such on Page 103 of 'Freightliner- Life and Times', mistakenly identified as being at Follingsby FLT. The lorry in this case is a Bedford TK with twin rear axles (6368 DN; WD9101N) in 'Flying Box' livery. Both malt and cornflour traffic originated in the Central Lowlands of Scotland, I believe; it's to be hoped they never got mixed up, as brown custard wouldn't be very appetising..

• RMweb Premium

I think the Newcastle ones may have been for malt; there's a photo of one such on Page 103 of 'Freightliner- Life and Times', mistakenly identified as being at Follingsby FLT. The lorry in this case is a Bedford TK with twin rear axles (6368 DN; WD9101N) in 'Flying Box' livery. Both malt and cornflour traffic originated in the Central Lowlands of Scotland, I believe; it's to be hoped they never got mixed up, as brown custard wouldn't be very appetising..

Whiskey flavoured custard? :jester:

A couple of more recent additions.

A package arrived from Oxford Diecast with the following in.  A former war dept. Bedford OWL, as acquired by the Southern Region and the only one I know of. Just number plates added to replace the minute lettering on the bumper.

To the left a Bedford OWL supplied new to the LMS for comparison. The old Airfix kit.

post-1625-0-74421600-1387117916_thumb.jpg

From the Oxford recovery Transit, with wheelbase shortened and body removed. Diesel bonnet from a John Day kit and a trailer is the much reworked Corgi Scammell van.

Bought second hand in 1990 and rebuilt for the CCE at Nottingham as a mobile classroom.

post-1625-0-58121000-1387117942_thumb.jpg

Merf.

• Like 1

Some nice conversions there Merf. Picky point but would the ex military OWL not be an OY?

Thanks for the heads up , The Covered Goods Shed thread is a cracker for vehicles , I have this DVD but forgot how many vehicles are in it , however I know from experience once you start 'stilling it out' its amazing how much turns up .

Edited by jcb 3c

Some nice conversions there Merf. Picky point but would the ex military OWL not be an OY?

Thanks for the heads up , The Covered Goods Shed thread is a cracker for vehicles , I have this DVD but forgot how many vehicles are in it , however I know from experience once you start 'stilling it out' its amazing how much turns up .

Think you are right there, is the OWL the civilian model, like the one on the left that the LMS had a number of ?  The OY being the military version with single rear wheels. Oxford show both in their catalogue but only artists impressions so far. So what I meant to say was the OY was the only one I know of.

The film I have looked for on youtube without success, so looks like I will have to buy the DVD.

Cheers Merf.

I'm still learning about wartime and before models, all help appreciated.

Edited by Merfyn Jones

Got a soft spot for the Bedford OY 3 tonner  ,major factor in winning the war IMHO , tough , simple reliable and available ,73,000 made for the military in WW2  and served in every theatre from start to finish.

And to think the mad Land Rover owners campaign back in the 1980s stopped government  selling  Land Rover to Bedford Trucks   because they weren' t British !

Leading to GM pulling out of truck making in UK and closing Bedford down ,  our biggest truck factory Doh!

! :offtopic:

Edited by jcb 3c
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Test - what is the BR vehicle part seen in bottom right corner at Hull Southcoates  -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thanoz/6272320013/in/photostream/

I thought the black protrusion was a part of the vehicle initially, leading me to think it was some sort of breakdown vehicle. Once it became clear that the black thing was something closer to the camera, it became evident that it was a minibus of some sort. By the size, I'd go for a Commer/Karrier; perhaps a BF; I had a look for images, of which this is the nearest I could find:_

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51670633@N07/5537574575/in/photolist-9rkvZH-9rou5Y-9rouiq-9rkwc4-9roufL-9rotTf-9rotWG-8LoC15-9jhxRp-aCCtUs-eE8yeE-8QhJa1-anWuru-ao3owo-aNJ7fR-cMBiaA-cMB8Uw-cMBQVA-adH9xY-cNc62S-cNcme5-cJn8qU-dwpuES-dwiXdz-9rkwjF-9rotYh-9rkvEp-9rkweH-9rotHW-9rotV3-9rkvtn-9rou2G-9rotMd-9rkvvF-9rkw4r-bSEb1c-9iM9pE-9jhxRn-bSEb2K-bSEb1g-9jhxRk-cAjfZw-cAjfVu-9jhxRi-9iM9pG-eLRoKJ-cAjgKy-cAjgA9-cAjgDj-e6Mhvg-9oMPo4

I remember a similar vehicle, in the green-with-white-lettering scheme, being used for the Port Talbot station- Margam depot shuttle in the late 1960s.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0098009/photos/74802869@N03/6997579007/

Unusual coloured blue Mk2 Transit, any idea what it may have been used for?

No idea of use, but the occasional vehicle was bought in factory colours, or long time hired. A bit more common in later days when mainly white vans were bought just before privatisation. Well spotted, something different.

Merf.

No idea of use, but the occasional vehicle was bought in factory colours, or long time hired. A bit more common in later days when mainly white vans were bought just before privatisation. Well spotted, something different.

Merf.

A super pic, and bonus with a dodge commando re railing vehicle behind it!

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of recent additions to the collection

A Bedford TK tipper recently produced by EFE in the 1968 green livery. Unfortunately the model they based it on had a timber body rather than the steel one in the model.  However later ones had the steel body but in yellow livery days. So a repaint into yellow with the addition of the tipping rams gives us a vehicle suitable for the early 80s for all those blue modellers out there.

post-1625-0-57017600-1390221478_thumb.jpg

B T Models produced this parcels van based on the Leyland FG personnel carrier. It can be made into a good representation with a bit of work. The parcels vans were smaller so some smaller wheels were fitted and 10mm was cut off the rear. New rear with drop tail board and roller shutters was made, and the final touch was to convert the front grille to a Morris one (Western Regions choice)

post-1625-0-61304200-1390221500_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-57600200-1390221518_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

http://www.travellerhomes.co.uk/?p=13919

Well I know its not on topic, but the above is for sale , looks like an easy restoration, would love it myself, but lack of room and sense says I shouldn't!

Andy

Some interesting stuff there. My favourite has to be the Bedford CA Dormobile Debonair http://www.travellerhomes.co.uk/?p=12987

My mate across the road has 2 of them (in green) They make crew buses look easy and cheap to restore.

Merf.

Do you have any pics of them? I have always wanted a Leyland national or an AEC merlin or swift...but as you say, not cheap and beyond me, the crewbuses are keeping me out of trouble ....for the moment!