cheers for info on Leyland FG, if down that way again will see if reg is on the rear..also heres a couple of modern bits ..cheers YVM

Hi YVM

Where is the N R rail depot ?

I have seen a few pictures of the Freightliner lorry on flickr and all are from the rear, what is it, a Leyland DAF 75 ?

I even went and had a look over the wall myself a couple of weeks ago and only saw the back end.

Merf.

Hi Merf, Its Eastleigh NR depot( Dutton lane) ..no idea what the F/L lorry is ..at Maritime F/L term southampton, again I pass they often so will have a look for front end I.D ..heres another modern one for you ..EWS lorry up EH yard unloading mini tamper..cheers YVM

post-6833-0-37933600-1311358044_thumb.jpg

Hi Merf, Its Eastleigh NR depot( Dutton lane) ..no idea what the F/L lorry is ..at Maritime F/L term southampton, again I pass they often so will have a look for front end I.D ..heres another modern one for you ..EWS lorry up EH yard unloading mini tamper..cheers YVM

Thanks YVM

Love the Volvo 8 legger, would make an impressive model.

Cheers Merf.

I have enjoyed this thread so much it has made me sign up!

I am very interetsed in BR road vehicles, having spent 17 years on the railway until 2005. I was repsonsible for the maintenance of our small fleet as well.

In the meantime I will look out my old pictures, I have found one of a yellow Freight Rover 400, E574 BAM I think, that might interest Merfyn!

I have enjoyed this thread so much it has made me sign up!

I am very interetsed in BR road vehicles, having spent 17 years on the railway until 2005. I was repsonsible for the maintenance of our small fleet as well.

In the meantime I will look out my old pictures, I have found one of a yellow Freight Rover 400, E574 BAM I think, that might interest Merfyn!

Welcome andye,

I am collecting all details of the road fleet, so would be glad of any information you have. Please post any photos you have on here, the yellow van period seens to be the most popular with most of the members. That Sherpa was a Western Region one, so do I assume you worked on the Western ?

Merf.

cheers for info on Leyland FG, if down that way again will see if reg is on the rear..also heres a couple of modern bits ..cheers YVM

Hope you don't mind Keith but I found this in my collection, its got to be the same one hasn't it??

Index is M770 XNO.

post-6849-0-83693000-1311793356_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Scott

Is this truck still on the go then ? its quite interesting as the dead 'tag ' axle is in front of the drive axle instead of behind as they are usually on rigids. I wonder if its being made up from a 6x2 tractor unit . Think the pic with the truck and 4 locos in shot is a cracker. Thanks for posting both.

Is this truck still on the go then ? its quite interesting as the dead 'tag ' axle is in front of the drive axle instead of behind as they are usually on rigids. I wonder if its being made up from a 6x2 tractor unit . Think the pic with the truck and 4 locos in shot is a cracker. Thanks for posting both.

Yes still there 4 weeks ago when I had a look over the wall. I think it's a Leyland DAF 85, which Freightliner had some tractor units of that type, M reg. I wonder the same if it was a conversion.

post-1625-0-33434700-1311840802_thumb.jpg

Merf.

• RMweb Premium

Its possibly a lifting axle placed ahead of the driving axle to prevent an excessive overhang when lifted. (I have never seen a lifting axle anywhere but between fixed axles or in the case of a trailer the fixed axle(s) and the tractive unit.)

Funnily enough most of the rigid trucks I see have the lifting trailing axle at the rear, however just being googling 6x2 and their's a mix of both types around with DAF looking like they made both types off the shelf.

post-3430-0-41783000-1311861135_thumb.jpg

post-3430-0-96405800-1311861147_thumb.jpg

What do EWS/DBS need a mini tamper for?!

Do they still have industrial track maintanence contracts?! I have a brouchure about their services somewhere...

And a few more flickr finds.

Scammell MH3 in Manchester in 1952, still in LMS livery. GRO777, no. 2413 G M.

Stancliffe Rd Neighbours on lorry, 1952

Passing a trolleybus in Doncaster is Ford Thames 300E van SLD950 which was FJ 1330 E of Aug.1956

syks - doncaster ct 386 passing horse x jockey JL

Being passed by a Doncaster trolleybus is HGU704, a Commer Q25 parcels van, no. EF 2316 E, of May 1946.

syks - doncaster ct 383 st sep'gate JL

In Doncaster during 1969, a Karrier Bantam parcel van, of the batch nos. KH 2300-2520, delivered from Oct 1957 to Jan 1964, bodied by Temple Mills wagon works (mainly)

syks - st james st flats doncaster 69 JL

Commer Walkthru leaving Aylesbury station c1974, Registration looks like LJH542H, fleet no. would be 2KC 2542H M.

bucks - red rover aylesbury ukx151j station roundabout aylesbury c74 JL

SMC519F was a Ford R192 bus with Willowbrook body seating 45 delivered to the Western Region in June 1968, fleet no. OFN 1519F W, I wonder where it worked. It had been sold by 1976 to Vagg at Knockin in Shropshire.

salop - vaggs knockin heath csx229 xsmc519f depot 76 JL

If you havn't seen it , this was posted by Michael Delemar a few days ago on wagon labels thread. Very good shots of red & cream stuff on the North Eastern.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41779-company-logo-labels-on-vans/page__pid__453642#entry453642

Merf.

• RMweb Gold

SMC519F was a Ford R192 bus with Willowbrook body seating 45 delivered to the Western Region in June 1968, fleet no. OFN 1519F W, I wonder where it worked. It had been sold by 1976 to Vagg at Knockin in Shropshire.

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

Merf.

Merf,

The only place I'm aware of on the Western where larger vehicles were used on internal 'workabus' type operations was Port Talbot - Margam so that seems a possible first area of research for this one. As far as I know the regular vehicles elsewhere were all 10-12 seaters or thereabouts. I did once hear that a larger vehicle had been used between Paddington and Old Oak Common at one time but I have no firm information one way or the other on that and - if it did happen - it might only have been some sort of trial?

The only other alternative - about which I know nothing at all alas - is that at one time there wereRegional PWay relaying gangs and I suppose there is a possibility that they might have had some sort of transport like this. I mention this one because at least one (if not all?) of the large relaying gangs were abolished in the early 1970s which might possibly link to the vehicle disposal date?

Merf,

The only place I'm aware of on the Western where larger vehicles were used on internal 'workabus' type operations was Port Talbot - Margam so that seems a possible first area of research for this one. As far as I know the regular vehicles elsewhere were all 10-12 seaters or thereabouts. I did once hear that a larger vehicle had been used between Paddington and Old Oak Common at one time but I have no firm information one way or the other on that and - if it did happen - it might only have been some sort of trial?

The only other alternative - about which I know nothing at all alas - is that at one time there wereRegional PWay relaying gangs and I suppose there is a possibility that they might have had some sort of transport like this. I mention this one because at least one (if not all?) of the large relaying gangs were abolished in the early 1970s which might possibly link to the vehicle disposal date?

Thanks Mike, yes I know of the Margham one. They appear to have had a new bus regularly over the years since it opened (I have a shot of a Bedford SB of c1960) until at least 1984 when a Leyland Cub / Reeve Burgess was bought. The Old Oak connection I had not heard of, but there must have been a big flow of train crew to and from Paddington. I have a note of BR wanting to supply Commer PBs but finding them not big enough, had to buy Transits.

The interesting thing about these Fords is that there were 5 of them bought, 1x 1968, 2x 1970, 2x 1971, wonder where the others went ?

My research shows the relaying gangs were usualy provided with second hand buses, as these were mainly used Saturday night/ Sunday morning, so not justifying buying new. In later days they were supplied with Bedford TK and Dodge G08 truck chassis fitted with a basic 22 seat body, with the usual sink, boiler, tool lockers.

I always want news of the buses, a most facinating and unknown aspect of the road motors.

Merf.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike, yes I know of the Margham one. They appear to have had a new bus regularly over the years since it opened (I have a shot of a Bedford SB of c1960) until at least 1984 when a Leyland Cub / Reeve Burgess was bought. The Old Oak connection I had not heard of, but there must have been a big flow of train crew to and from Paddington. I have a note of BR wanting to supply Commer PBs but finding them not big enough, had to buy Transits.

Merf.

The Old Oak workabus fleet was usually a minimum of three vehicles but very occasionally 4. There were normally 2 Transits and a Vauxhall - the latter being an atrociously unreliable thing which spent a lot of time off the road and replaced by a hired in Transit. The Commers would have been way undersize and it wasn't unusual for even the 12 seater vehicles to be inadequate on some trips especially when office staff were finishing their day or at some of the shift changeover times (although the 'buses were officially only for traincrew and they always had priority). Alas I can't remember any registration numbers and I'm fairly sure that I haven't got any photos of any of the vehicles used regularly when I was in the area - sorry.

The Old Oak workabus fleet was usually a minimum of three vehicles but very occasionally 4. There were normally 2 Transits and a Vauxhall - the latter being an atrociously unreliable thing which spent a lot of time off the road and replaced by a hired in Transit. The Commers would have been way undersize and it wasn't unusual for even the 12 seater vehicles to be inadequate on some trips especially when office staff were finishing their day or at some of the shift changeover times (although the 'buses were officially only for traincrew and they always had priority). Alas I can't remember any registration numbers and I'm fairly sure that I haven't got any photos of any of the vehicles used regularly when I was in the area - sorry.

Exactly what I heard about Old Oak, too many other ranks with the drivers. Also a problem was that H Q thought you could carry 11 drivers in an 11 seater as well as those big black leather bags that they carried !

Merf.

Very slightly O/T, here's a great shot of Falcon Works' staff car park, with Brush Type 4s being built in the background, and a wealth of period vehicles to analyse. The year's 1964.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/david_christie/5643177642/in/pool-1307883@N23/

A superb nostalgic shot. I think I see ONE foreigner. Think it's a red Wartburg.

Merf.

Two; there's a pale blue Beetle near the RH front (three if that large 'woodie' towards the left is a Yank tank rather than a large Austin).

Interestingly, out of all those vehicles only 10 are pre-1949 design (i.e. introduced more than 15 years before the photo was taken) though there's something pretty old just to the right, behind the Bedford minibus/Dormobile. Also the colour pallete is either pastel (most of the newer stuff) or dark (most of the older stuff), but TWO bright red Minis and a yellow (Hillman Express) van stand out.

The '47's being built there had already lost the little foot recess under the doors.

Great period find!

• RMweb Premium

The Commer 'Express' van carries a 'Brush' logo. The car behind the Dormobile is an early 30's Ford model 'B' which could have been made in either Dagenham or Dearborne. Centre right behind the red Mini is an Austin Gypsy that looks almost new.

Loving Bernard's observations on the colour palette. This is precisely what I need to get right in order to convey Scottish Borders 1968, which won't be far different from what's on show here, given the relative affluence of that region compared to the East Midlands.

Exactly what I heard about Old Oak, too many other ranks with the drivers. Also a problem was that H Q thought you could carry 11 drivers in an 11 seater as well as those big black leather bags that they carried !

Merf.

The Old Oak buses were quite often full to the brim so to speak... a few of our drivers, particularly the 'drinkers' would take up two seats per trip! Occasionally the shed foreman would lay on a light engine during busy periods to relieve the pressure, usually a 31, 47 or 50. I do remember a Transit being used when I was there (1983-85), I don't recall how many seats it had but I'm certain it was the larger type with flared rear wheel arches to cover the 'double' sets of rims and tyres. I'm struggling to remember the names of all the bus drivers now but can see their faces as plain as day, one of the younger ones was called Andy who was a dead ringer for Jimmy White the snooker player, another was a coloured guy called Gabriel who used to sing gospel songs out loud as he drove us along the back streets of Padd and along the A40(M). Totally useless information I know, but you've revived a few nice memories...! ;)

• Like 1

The Old Oak buses were quite often full to the brim so to speak... a few of our drivers, particularly the 'drinkers' would take up two seats per trip! Occasionally the shed foreman would lay on a light engine during busy periods to relieve the pressure, usually a 31, 47 or 50. I do remember a Transit being used when I was there (1983-85), I don't recall how many seats it had but I'm certain it was the larger type with flared rear wheel arches to cover the 'double' sets of rims and tyres. I'm struggling to remember the names of all the bus drivers now but can see their faces as plain as day, one of the younger ones was called Andy who was a dead ringer for Jimmy White the snooker player, another was a coloured guy called Gabriel who used to sing gospel songs out loud as he drove us along the back streets of Padd and along the A40(M). Totally useless information I know, but you've revived a few nice memories...! ;)

If you were there in 1983, it would be one like this, I think they could seat up to 16. This one is with the Civil Engineers Dept.

post-1625-0-62717400-1312234919_thumb.jpg

Merf.

• RMweb Gold

To which you need to add 'Side Saddle' (Lloyd Jackman) so named because he always sat sideways when driving plus the Indian 'gentleman' (Khan??? or something similar sounding?) who was a well known wrecker of clutches on the blue Vauxhall (which I think had probably gone by 1983?) and little Herbie ??? (who might possibly have gone back to the West Indies by your time as he was setting himself up over there with a delivery van business).

There was definitely one Transit with flared rear wheel arches - not always a popular vehicle because it was a bit of pig where bollards had been erected to stop lorries using a number of routes in West London and it tended to collect dents.

And with dues apologies to Merf for continuing this rather off the main course discussion.

• Like 1