Newport Godfrey Road Locomotive Stabling Yard

steve fay

I've been looking longingly at the forthcoming Heljan class 60 and have finally caved in and ordered one.

Now there's no way it will be running on Ranelagh Beidge so it needs it own home.

My train spotting days were at Newport in the early to mid 90's so it seems fitting to recapture my youth and like Ranelagh Bridge Godfrey Road is now also a car park.

I'm hoping to build it as an exhibition Layout, No timber will get cut until the new year.

It's quite simple as its only 5 roads.

It won't be going to any shows any time soon as it will be quite boring with only one loco sat on it! It will be interesting to see what Heljan follow the 60 with, 56 would be nice.

As for the most numerous Locos to use the yard the class 37's a JLTRT kit would be nice and built as 37430 Cwmbran named after my own town.

post-5983-0-84993100-1414671052.jpgpost-5983-0-29867800-1414671101.jpg

If any one has any pictures please share them.

Yes Im Aware I have a problem when it comes to building layouts but I enjoy it and the likes of old oak approaches and severn tunnel East will be built for Sale.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 4

A friend sent me some pictures today

post-5983-0-65964600-1414701045_thumb.jpg

The layout will be built using Peco flat bottomed track with the spacing redone to the correct distances and C&L track. I will make use of quite a few bits from Peter Clark models. Does any one know of any one who produces modern yard lamps and standard street lamps?

• Like 4

Hi Steve - Looks like another Interesting project that you have, I have had some yard lamps built, he does bespoke work or can alter his standard items -  I can let you have his Email address if you want to inquire - Very good rates and nice work.

Cheers.

Bob.

Cheers Bob

I have Petes details he's done a few bits for me in the past. I need two very tall yard lamps and a few standard lamp posts.

I have fancied doing this project for a long time and now it's gone it only seems fitting that it should be recreated in model form and the fact that Heljan have decided to do a 60 is a big help. Let's hope they follow it with a 56 !!

• Like 1

Yes I suppose we all thought it would be there for ever, but alas it is no more! So another scale model of a real place! I do like a challenge.

This photo is yet another reminder of just how dull and boring is the contemporary railway scene. I can't be the only one who gets excited by the sight of a siding, old buffer stop, trap point and semaphore signal?

• Agree 1

The disagree ^ was because:

1. - That photo is not contemporary, it's history.

2. - If you like looking at (respectively) a siding, an old buffer stop, a trap point and a semaphore, you can still do that on the contemporary railway, I was at a location where I was looking at all of the above just last week...(and some trains were a nice bonus...)

(Edit - not to mention that when it was active in the time of the above images, the location you are describing as boring had 3 out of 4 of the things you describe as getting you all excited - the only missing one being semaphores!) ;)

Edited by Glorious NSE
  • Like 1

The disagree ^ was because:

1. - That photo is not contemporary, it's history.

2. - If you like looking at (respectively) a siding, an old buffer stop, a trap point and a semaphore, you can still do that on the contemporary railway, I was at a location where I was looking at all of the above just last week...(and some trains were a nice bonus...)

(Edit - not to mention that when it was active in the time of the above images, the location you are describing as boring had 3 out of 4 of the things you describe as getting you all excited - the only missing one being semaphores!) ;)

Oh dear, you have completely missed my point. So to be clear, what I was trying to say was that the very interesting scene depicting Newport several years ago in Steve Fay's post reminds me of how dull and boring the contemporary i.e. today's railway scene often is.   Fortunately, I live only a few minutes drive from Eastleigh, which does provide a variety of interesting railway activity.  

Oh dear, you have completely missed my point. So to be clear, what I was trying to say was that the very interesting scene depicting Newport several years ago in Steve Fay's post reminds me of how dull and boring the contemporary i.e. today's railway scene often is.   Fortunately, I live only a few minutes drive from Eastleigh, which does provide a variety of interesting railway activity.  

Then apologies, I did - though I disagree about the dull and boring comment...

I can't say I get very enthusiastic about the current scene, the new 68's look quite nice.

This will be set in the early to mid 90's when the bottom end of the station was humming with the constant noise of Locos ticking over or 37's clicking away.

All this is now 20 plus years ago.

There are not many of use modelling the sectorisation period but as we get older I'm sure it will become more popular.

There will be battered buffer stops a trap point but a colour light signal instead of a semaphore.

When I used to use the train travelling to work in the late 90's early 2000's it was more of avoiding the Ying Yinging and trying to see if there was still a 37 or 56 tucked away behind a sea of GM's on Godfrey road

That time did also bring a few 58's down our way which we never saw in South wales. My dad and I would take a trip to Birmingham to see them along with the electrics.

I love steam and it will always come first but my spotting days seem a very long time ago now. I remeber travelling to newport on the cardiff Crewe with a 37/4 on the front or a battered 108 on a summer extra and then they got swept away by the New Sprinters!

I hated the 155's.

If we was lucky a 50 usually Hood or Sir Edward Elgar would arrive on the Portsmouth and a 47/7 on the Swansea Newcastle. Either in ScotRail or INTERCITY which was my favourite livery.

The Odd NSE 47 on what must have been a cardiff Paignton.

And whilst all this was going on the Freight just seemed endless streams of 37's on everything from coal to steel. A 56 on the LLanwern Ore, Then the new 60's with there names that I didn't understand as a ten yer old.

Hereing a pair of 37's trying to get away with the silver Bulletts was great, it was a crescendo of noise and we would drive up to Pontypool to see them go past Panteg Steel works at a snails pace.

So there we go lots of memories to capture and these ones are my own.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 4

This looks like a very pleasing project. I grew up in Bristol and in the early 1970s a few of us who griced regularly at the western end of the legendary platform 12 at Temple Meads station would periodically hop on a noisy Class 120 DMU and rattle through the Severn Tunnel to Newport High Street, there to have our diet of diesel hydraulics leavened with EE Type 3s or Class 37s as they later became. The amount of freight still seemed to be prodigious and the now extinct Severn Tunnel Junction marshalling yard was very active. Sometimes we would push on to Cardiff hanging out of the starboard side windows for the view of Ebbw Junction loco depot. There were still a fair number of locos in green and maroon liveries and on summer saturdays the occasional coaches in lined maroon. Heljan is a god-send for the 1970s 0 gauge enthusiast.

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind a 73, I found some videos of the Newport RailFreight open day in 1993. I went on the tour up to Ebbw vale steel works.

Great days they were.

Over in the old parcels siding is a 73! And a pair of 50's on Godfrey Road

• Like 1

Hi,

I thought a good while ago that this little corner of Newport would make a great layout, either on its own or part of a larger one.  A quick look on the internet has brought up the following:

http://railwayherald.com/imagingcentre/search/ by just typing in 'Godfrey'

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=godfrey+road+newport&safe=active&biw=1536&bih=718&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UodUVI-FD8iM7AbWpIH4DA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Looking forward to seeing progress on this project and Ranlegh Bridge........

Best regards,

GBMRG

P.S.  Having looked a bit further on https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=godfrey+road+newport and depending upon your era, there's more potential than I first thought..........!!!

Edited by GBMRG
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...

Looks like an nice Idea, I remember Godfrey Road well. Was always intrigued to see if there was a 37/9 tucked away there somewhere we went past. I have often thought Exeter St David's stabling point would make a nice layout as view from a spotters perspective off platform 6!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Steve, What a great location, loads of interesting stuff to see, (and hear) George T and I went there a couple of times when we lived down in Amp Sher, and there was always plenty of movement in and out of the Yard.

This was from a visit in July 2004.

335393929_66046newport150704ap.JPG.edc343a24a954e7549bc747c1957f138.JPG

• Like 3