Hornby's new factories: Who's doing what

brushman47544

• RMweb Premium

There appeared to some interest, when I suggested it in the "Where are the Hornby models?" thread, for a separate topic to identify where Hornby's models are produced now that production by Sanda Kan should have ceased (the last such models seem to be appearing now). By this, I am referring to the factory reference, which appears as a code starting with three letters on a small white label on the back of each Hornby red box.

What does appear to be emerging, for the time being at least, is that in the main REF (Refined Industries) is currently producing the new models from new tooling and that wagons are being produced by TAL.

I currently possess very few of the newest models, so to start the ball rolling I have reviewed various recent RMWeb topics and MREMag where codes have been advised and have come up with the following. I am sure I've missed plenty, so feel free to post others to expand the list:

Locos and Units

LNER A3 = REF

LNER A4 = REF01

LNER P2 = REF01

LNER L1 = REF

GNR N2 = TEC

Tornado = REF01

LNER K1 = TEC05

J94 = CHL01

J15 = LOT01

SR 2-BIL = REF01

SR 2-HAL = REF01

Brighton Belle = REF

SR T9 = CHL01

SR N15 = CHL

LSWR M7 = CHL

V/Schools = TEC05

N15 = REF

GW Star = REF

GW Castle = REF

GW Grange = REF

GW 2800/2884 = EXG (or EXC?) (e.g. R2915), then TEC (e.g. R3210)

GW Hall = REF01

BR 71000 DoG = REF

BR 70000 =

Class 67 = REF01

Class 42/43 (RR) = TAL

Class 40 (RR) = TAL06

Class 92 = TAL05

Coaches and wagons

New Mk1s = REF01

New Mk2e = REF01

Mk3s = TEC05

Thompson Suburban = TEC

SR Pull-Push = REF01

SR Van B = REF01

Rudd - TAL

Shark = TAL

Clam = TAL

Trout = TAL05

PGA = TAL

Planked wagons = TAL

Mineral wagons = REF01

LNER extra long CCT = TAL05

LMS CCT = REF01

12T Fish/SPV = REF01

Shunter truck = REF01

Full fat MGR = TAL05

Railroad MGR = TAL05

Railroad Pullmans = REF

LNER/BR 21T hopper = TAL05

LMS Horsebox = TAL05

Skaledale (various) = ART

Latest edit to list on 6/3/15

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

Are there suffixes on the REF codes indicating, maybe, more than one site.  MY 'Grange' has 'REF01-' before a separate number which is presumably the individual item number.  So is the first number part of the factory code, or a date code, or part of the individual item number?

(And if it is a date code what on earth does that mean - whose calendar for a kick-off?)

• RMweb Premium

Are there suffixes on the REF codes indicating, maybe, more than one site. MY 'Grange' has 'REF01-' before a separate number which is presumably the individual item number. So is the first number part of the factory code, or a date code, or part of the individual item number?

(And if it is a date code what on earth does that mean - whose calendar for a kick-off?)

Hmmm. There is a similar suffix for the other factory codes on all the new models I have. Every REF produced model I have is REF01. Sanda Kan was SK101 for everything as far as I'm aware, even after Kader closed the original factory and moved production to mainland China. So I'm not sure what the numerical code means. Edited by brushman47544

Thankyou Andrew for starting this thread, interesting the T9 being CHL. I wonder which factory produces the new Schools and L1 models? And the two new Britannias 70043/4?

Also of interest would be whether REF means a single centralised production facility or whether such as assembly and painting and packing are in different locations, or whether different models come from different Refined Industries-owned plants?

As ever, more questions than answers. Thanks for starting the thread. Has anyone bought N15 'Sir Sagramore' and taken a look at the box sticker?

I have a feeling that the current Hornby.com offerings of O1 and B1 are old SK stock, happy to be proven wrong.

• Like 1

Here is a quote from my post a couple of days ago in the 'When are Hornby models arriving' thread

A quick check of my recent purchases has no real surprises;

Castles. R2849 Beverston SK. R3105 Wellington REF.

28XX-38XX. all EXC.

DoG. all versions including R3236 1960 REF.

P2 all versions R3171 R3207 REF

O1 R3088/9 SK. new version available now at Hornby made by ?

B1 R2921/2 SK. new version now available at Hornby made by ?

A4 R2965 Silver Link SK. Great Gathering etc made by ?

Britannia 70010 R2835 SK. 70050 R2718 SK. New versions 70043-4 made by ?

Presumably the current 01, B1, A3, A4, Britannia(s) and Grange are all now REF....? Or are they? Anyone who has bought from Hornby in the last month might be able to check the code on the box for us?

We know that the weathered A3 60103 Flying Scotsman is REF and is sometimes beautifully made and painted, but just like the REF Castles, not always.

As to the Schools, T9s, Fowler LMS 2-6-4T, and N15 these are unlikely to be SK, especially the last. The white paint lining on all of these except perhaps the T9s is thicker.

end of quote.

We know the T9 is CHL I wonder about the Schools and L1s...?

Edited by robmcg

Can't say I have ever noticed a factory identifier on my few Heljan purchases. (I was under the impression that their Chinese manufacturing partner was 'Regal Way', but that was information I picked up a good many years ago.) Had a quick look at the packaging for the 23 and 26/0 which haven't yet been flung into the loft, and - nada - no information that I can see.

I recently purchased a Hornby 2 HAL by mail order, and it arrived in a cut down corrugated box which is a perfect fit 

for the 2 HAL set and in large capital letters it reads .......

Hornby

MARGATE

VIA THAMESPORT

MADE IN INDIA

But on the underside of the coaches MADE IN CHINA.

i don't know the origins of the corrugated box, but something is being produced in India.

• RMweb Gold

I recently purchased a Hornby 2 HAL by mail order, and it arrived in a cut down corrugated box which is a perfect fit 

for the 2 HAL set and in large capital letters it reads .......

Hornby

MARGATE

VIA THAMESPORT

MADE IN INDIA

But on the underside of the coaches MADE IN CHINA.

i don't know the origins of the corrugated box, but something is being produced in India.

Airfix kits are produced in India.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased some R8096 12.6mm Disc wheels from two different shops. Packs from one shop have code SK101-P90270 and have the wheels packaged horizontally (left packet on picture). The packs from the other shop have code REF01-90761 and have the wheels packaged vertically (right packet on picture).

post-4766-0-04351500-1416431492_thumb.jpg

My 'Great Goodbye' Sir Nigel Gresley has the following code: REF01-90937, then: R3256-09-852.

Given that the double tender 'Bittern' has just been released with a 'SK' reference things just more and more confused or did Hornby retool the A4 for Refined Industries???

My 'Great Goodbye' Sir Nigel Gresley has the following code: REF01-90937, then: R3256-09-852.

Given that the double tender 'Bittern' has just been released with a 'SK' reference things just more and more confused or did Hornby retool the A4 for Refined Industries???

Pretty certain this has been discussed before and that Hornby did retool the A4 so that both SK and REF had tools.