Hornby's new factories: Who's doing what

brushman47544

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

At least Hornby have learned something from the demise of Sanda Kan and are now spreading their production around. Not as safe as bringing it back in-house but that is highly unlikely to happen any time soon so a diverse range of suppliers is the next best thing. And the new suppliers now seem to be getting up to speed in terms of producing fine detail and high quality printing etc. I think Hornby will actually come out of the dreadful period they've just gone through in a better position than they were in before, at least in terms of security of product supply. Now they're well into getting back to square one so to speak hopefully they will now look at advancing beyond square one, this years program is quite an ambitious one with some interesting releases and we now know next year will bring an air smoothed MN and a class 71, it looks very positive for Hornby.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Do we have enough info now for my learned colleagues to draw any conclusions as to who is best, or is Hornby now getting consistently good (again)?

Definately getting better overall, but CHL get my vote because their locos using Sanda Kan era tooling have been better than others'. Haven't had any wonky frames from CHL either, unlike REF.

Well R3352 is very good. No flaws in the model as far as I can see. So REF really look to have got into gear now.

I feel I must complain.  I've just counted the rivets, and I'm sure they missed one........................................ :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

Well R3352 is very good. No flaws in the model as far as I can see. So REF really look to have got into gear now.

Did you get your FGW 153 direct from Hornby?  They seem to be the only ones with it at the moment, well if their pre-order supply wasn't sold out.

My local model shop hasn't had them in yet.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Has anyone got the new FGW 153 from any other source than Hornby?  My local model shop still hasn't had them in yet.

A contact in the trade tells me that only a small batch of these have so far arrived in the UK.

Apart from those being sold direct by Hornby, I understand that dealers who ordered ten or more are receiving an initial two (not two for every ten ordered) and those who ordered less, none.

The rest are presumably in a different container, on a different ship and will be distributed later. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling