Cley-on-Sea 1960s Norfolk mainline terminus

russ p

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Brian D said:

Nice videos Russ.  Can I ask, is a class 25/0 the same as a class 24 but minus the train heat boiler or is it a bit more tricky than that?

Regards,

Brian.

Cheers Brian,  it should have the boiler exhaust blanked and a cover on the grille although this wasn't fitted from new. I may get round to doing these but the moment it has the water tank removed and new numbers 

• Thanks 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again (esp. re the 19/1/22 video) you can tell this layout has been designed and built by a train driver. It has that 'feel' of a real railway- something that many layouts just don't seem to manage.

Is the track plan based on or inspired by any real locations, or is entirely based on your own design, Russ? So many people have designed layouts how they think it would be built in real life, when of course the plan evolves over time and often looks very different to what you would expect.

Excellent thread.
Derek

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again (esp. re the 19/1/22 video) you can tell this layout has been designed and built by a train driver. It has that 'feel' of a real railway- something that many layouts just don't seem to manage.

Is the track plan based on or inspired by any real locations, or is entirely based on your own design, Russ? So many people have designed layouts how they think it would be built in real life, when of course the plan evolves over time and often looks very different to what you would expect.

Excellent thread.
Derek

Thanks for the kind words Derek 

The layout isn't really based on any particular locations but places such as Norwich,  Yarmouth and  Lowestoft have provided inspiration and obviously Reedham for the bridge 

When I came to design the layout originally I wanted a terminus that was accessed by a triangle so trains could get back to the station after leaving. 

I also wanted a depot and a yard for storage and shunting these are pure fiction but yards and depots I have worked in have probably influenced these

• Like 2

I agree with Derek, it all slots together well with that believability factor.

Observation wise, A high embankment behind houses/ shops is quite common in the real railway , but how often is it modelled ? Although I’m also a member of the flat earth/ baseboard society.

Harbour branch looks great too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I agree with Derek, it all slots together well with that believability factor.

Observation wise, A high embankment behind houses/ shops is quite common in the real railway , but how often is it modelled ? Although I’m also a member of the flat earth/ baseboard society.

Harbour branch looks great too.

Thanks Rob,  I'm really pleased with the way the different levels have turned out although it was probably more luck than judgement! 

One thing I will say is when I first started running the layout I was having so many derailments and I was thinking I was going to have to rip most of it up and start again even though I used a spirit level when building the track bed.

Turned out modern RTR stock back to backs are shocking!  Once I'd adjusted these the layout runs fine.

As a large proportion of new stock never gets  ran the amount of incidents which get fed back to manufacturers is probably negligible to the amount sold.

Having said that my accurascale coal wagons run absolutely fine out of the box

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I ran my freightliner set today . I forgot to get another pair of inners but now stupid money,  hopefully Bachmann may do some more early ones hopefully with some different containers such as Manchester iners 

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Very nice. For a truly Norfolk 'freightliner' train; what branding where the containers built in North Walsham?

I'd forgotten about cranes building containers,  I was imagining the service was Maiden Lane to Blakeney container port!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, russ p said:

I'd forgotten about cranes building containers,  I was imagining the service was Maiden Lane to Blakeney container port!

Blakeney could be vastly improved with a container terminal :good: they didn't get the one built in Great Yarmouth in the right time frame...

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Blakeney could be vastly improved with a container terminal :good: they didn't get the one built in Great Yarmouth in the right time frame...

Haha!  Don't tell the second homers

Was a terminal proposed for Yarmouth in the 60s?

On 05/02/2022 at 18:42, russ p said:

Haha!  Don't tell the second homers

Was a terminal proposed for Yarmouth in the 60s?

I know the time scales of the outer harbour and it's facilities being discussed can be measured in decades before it was actually built. Norfolk Line was transporting cargo from Great Yarmouth in the early 60s, with their ro-ro operations not starting until the late 60s so it's possible containers could have been considered back then.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

I know the time scales of the outer harbour and it's facilities being discussed can be measured in decades before it was actually built. Norfolk Line was transporting cargo from Great Yarmouth in the early 60s, with their ro-ro operations not starting until the late 60s so it's possible containers could have been considered back then.

Is the outer harbour actually used for anything now?

It's good that it finally found a use, even if it's not it's the one originally intended. I believe the 2 container cranes never saw a ship there (were they sold and moved to Venice?) It's also seen use as the loading point for the big off shore wind farms. The prospects of the town might have been very different if they'd started building it in the 60s/70s when it was most needed.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, cliff park said:

I forgot to mention work is well under way on a third river crossing at the south end of Southtown Road, landing very near where the old fish docks used to be. Also near the end of the long gone dockside railway sidings

Is there any truth in the rumours that some of the quayside branch is actually buried? 

I found some rails in the road last year of the Wells one 

It’s the photos of your dockside area with the ‘cuts’ of four grain wagons which is making me rethink my own dockside shunting layout! It’s all very well planning a ‘micro’ where a siding holds three or four wagons, but when ships are involved it simply looks better when everything is ‘expanded’ and your dockside looks ‘just right’.

Steve S

• Thanks 1