Cley-on-Sea 1960s Norfolk mainline terminus

russ p

4 hours ago, russ p said:

Just a little heads up for those that are interested my layout is featured in the current edition of Hornby magazine which came out yesterday 

Well, there’s a cast iron excuse to buy the new Hornby magazine this month! Look forward to seeing it in print!

Steve S

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Halvarras said:

For those of us of 'a certain age' it's nice to see an early blue 37 and original blue 47, it's very unusual to see such liveries in model form. Spotted those as soon as I opened the magazine! To me these looked more 'balanced' than a single logo positioned off-centre. I'm also intrigued by Class 03 D2051 in green with BR arrow logo - I assume that like the 37 & 47 this one is based on reality? I know D2048 looked like this, I saw it from the train passing Swindon Works just before it was demolished there in 1973. Class 08 D3940 carried a similar combination. These livery oddities have always interested me.

I can't believe you built all this in just 4 years, I have far smaller projects I've got no further than thinking about for twice as long! You must live in a parallel universe where the days are 72 hours long.......😉

Outstanding effort - love it!!

Thanks for the kind words.

The locos are based on reality.  2051 is actually owned by a friend but unlikely to ever run again.  It was painted like that about 67 being plain green until then . It features in a film called sentimental journey which is on YouTube hauling a a couple of brake vans to Robin Hoods Bay with demolition contractors surveying the line for lifting in 67 and was last train ever on the line. 

I believe it was reallocated to Colchester before going to ford's at Dagenham 

A bit of artistic licence having it on Cley but as I've worked on it have a bit of a sorf spot for it 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not sure why I haven't come across all of this before but it is extremely nice and very definitely captures the railway atmosphere and appearance of the area it represents  -great stuff.  And the semaphore signalling is just right - couldn't be anywhere else, even on the ER.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not sure why I haven't come across all of this before but it is extremely nice and very definitely captures the railway atmosphere and appearance of the area it represents  -great stuff.  And the semaphore signalling is just right - couldn't be anywhere else, even on the ER.

Thanks Mike,  shame the semaphores are only posable rather than fully working 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Very good article showed the layout to good advantage ,have enjoyed following the construction and think you have developed a very true to life model.

Thanks for that. I was hoping the magazine would have showed more pictures of the river and swingbridge as that is my favourite part of the layout. 

I've still got a few details to add such as a lowestoft style footbridge across the yards and running lines on the approach to the station 

Long term I would love working semaphores but unless a new system comes to the market I doubt that will happen as constructing them from MSE brass parts is beyond my present capabilities 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

That footbridge at Lowestoft used to be a good photographic vantage point - Shame it ended up being removed....

Hopefully 4mm scale photographers will find this one useful.  4mm scale muggers can go elsewhere! 

• RMweb Premium

That's very good!  The stairs with the bike wheel channel certainly remind me of the one at York Yard South.  What did you use to make the girder part?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 31A said:

That's very good!  The stairs with the bike wheel channel certainly remind me of the one at York Yard South.  What did you use to make the girder part?

Morning Steve

The girder section is made from fencing that can be added to Hornby high level piers .

It's pretty horrible stuff seems to be made from some kind of polythene and very difficult to glue. Those green footbridges are made from the same stuff.

Initially I put some fine mesh behind it, but it wasn't really noticeable so changed it to corrugated iron which I made from corrugated aluminium strip and painted it 

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, russ p said:

Morning Steve

The girder section is made from fencing that can be added to Hornby high level piers .

It's pretty horrible stuff seems to be made from some kind of polythene and very difficult to glue. Those green footbridges are made from the same stuff.

Initially I put some fine mesh behind it, but it wasn't really noticeable so changed it to corrugated iron which I made from corrugated aluminium strip and painted it 

Nice one Russ!  I wouldn't have guessed from looking at it, it certainly looks the part when it's been painted.

Say hi to Paul D from me!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, 31A said:

Nice one Russ!  I wouldn't have guessed from looking at it, it certainly looks the part when it's been painted.

Say hi to Paul D from me!

I was hoping to get lattice sections but couldn't find anything suitable.  Wanted to break up section of flat board

Paul is hopefully coming over later

Edited by russ p

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, russ p said:

I was hoping to get lattice sections but couldn't find anything suitable.  Wanted to break up section of flat board

Paul is hopefully coming over later

No I don't know either unless you could get some brass lattice mesh from Scale Link or somewhere, but what you've done looks just right anyway.  Sometimes old Hornby etc. bits that look toy like at first sight can be made to look good!  I was thinking of doing something similar with a Knightwing footbridge.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Other recently started project is building another 8 35t airfix/ Dapol tank wagon kits

These will be used to supply the depot with fuel . I'm going to need some more stock storage as I've got around 400 wagons now. Personally I don't think the layout looks overcrowded just busy. 

I would also like to make up a rake of condemned stock enroute to Kings at Norwich a use for some Gresley,  thompson and bullied coaches , it's supposed to be 68/69 so I could maybe justify an odd thompson 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I like how the perspective of the terraced houses works in your backscene - some clever photography there.

Thanks Graham I think it was more luck with the ID backscene really but I am happy with the result