Help - seeking a Cornish prototype location.

johnarcher

I am returning to the hobby after a a good few years away. I used to model Irish 00n3 (as in the picture left), but now I no longer live in Cornwall I am homesick and am tempted to change to that, probably GW in 4mm (EM or P4) or 3mm FS.

Ideally I would like to model a real place, but don't want to do just a station, so am looking for somewhere where a small station and village or town are close enough (or mingled enough) to make a single scene, with the railway element only part of the whole. Looe seems obvious, but the station plus quay lines would be too big (even in 3mm). A small through station on a secondary line would be good (termini tend to be bigger, and space is very limited), but I can't think of one with streetscene near enough off-hand.

Operational interest is unimportant, the re-creation of an attractive scene is what matters. Any ideas?

Thank you chaps. St. Ives could be attractive, maybe a bit big - I'll have to work it out in 3mm.

I can't remember the arrangement at St Agnes, must try and find somewhere to look it up, a tempting idea though as I used to live in Mount Hawke just down the road, and St Agnes town is attractive.

As for Lostwithiel, I lived there for a long time, travelled to work in Truro from that station, and I am very fond of the place - maybe I'll look for something smaller to start with, but that would probably be a long-term ideal if I have the space (and if I have a long term at my age). Ideas like that and St Ives nudge me towards 3mm, as making such things a bit more possible.

Not a lot there though pre 1975..... The Docks would be good but its big.

Yes, but I don't really want a lot there as I said, but as I recall attractive bits of the town are a bit far from the station.

If I had more time and space I could go mad and think of mixed gauge Penzance, c 1880. Probably not practical, unfortunately.

Thanks again for all the ideas. I think I'd ideally like to think of something smaller to start, with a bigger project as a later aim - Lostwithiel, Redruth etc, or St Ives or Looe? maybe one day.

More immediately, and remembering that I probably won't live to be 150, something like St Agnes might be more practical, but I think the station was not very near the town?

A 3mm Bodmin - possible, wouldn't do it in P4 after admiring the NLG version.

I wish the Looe or Fowey branches had run to a through station.

I think Fowey in the days before the St Blazey line shut and the passengers were withdrawn from the Lostwithiel line would make a great layout. Effectively a traditional BLT with the usual traffic plus heavy clay trains passing through from the other. A large variety of locos could be seen. The station was on a curve so visually more interesting and might fit better? Train lengths are manageable - a prairie could only take 12 clay wagons and even a 42xx could only manage 20 over the hill from St Blazey.

It could be made with a fiddle yard at either end or as a roundy if you want to watch the trains go by. Good thing about clay trains compared to other minerals is you can't tell if the wagons are full or empty!

• RMweb Gold

Perranporth is different - island platform reached via an underpass.

St Agnes is also a good choice, overbridge one end and embankment at the other, though not much non-railway infrastructure.

Shepherds is also quite neat, although very long and quite rural but does have a branch.

Thinking further east, Gunnislake ?

Or, of course, there was another railway company in the northern part of Cornwall... 

I can't remember the arrangement at St Agnes, must try and find somewhere to look it up, a tempting idea though as I used to live in Mount Hawke just down the road, and St Agnes town is attractive.

As for Lostwithiel, I lived there for a long time, 

Likewise, I used to live on that 'Cumber' estate at Mount Hawke between 1997 and 2001 - I also used to work Lostwithiel SB throughout the 1980s!

After 1910, St Agnes was an island platform with a humped-back bridge at one end, which carried the road to Goonbell over the line. The station building could still be seen from the main road into St Agnes when I left the area - It was also the location for one of the GWR's famous camping coaches!

One other suggestion: PERRANPORTH BEACH! - A simple single line with a concrete structure for a platform. A hillside with houses on it behind, shops and a beach in front. Now there's a challenge, and, it shouldn't take up too much space.

:-)

Although just outside of Cornwall, the Turnchapel and Yealmpton branches have always attracted my attention, and Plystock Station just shouts at being modelled - With its simple layout, SR upper quadrant signals, and an excuse to run GW autocoaches, panniers, DMUs, Diesel Hydraulics, shunt locos, Bulleid Coaches, Gate Stock, and various freight wagons etc........ This area was the inspiration for the '0'scale layout 'Laira Bridge'!

• RMweb Premium

I've long thought "old"Bugle was very modellogenic....not so sure as it is now,,,more like one of them  1:150 Architect's Model's of an estate with a bit of N gauge track thrown in :D

My St Enodoc station is based on Bugle in the 1950s. It is a station with an uncommon track layout and plenty of operating potential - double track one end, single the other, a level crossing, the Carbis china clay branch, and indeed some unusual signals.

post-21039-0-00650600-1416304087_thumb.jpg

post-21039-0-01600900-1416304135_thumb.jpg

Likewise, I used to live on that 'Cumber' estate at Mount Hawke between 1997 and 2001 - I also used to work Lostwithiel SB throughout the 1980s!

After 1910, St Agnes was an island platform with a humped-back bridge at one end, which carried the road to Goonbell over the line. The station building could still be seen from the main road into St Agnes when I left the area - It was also the location for one of the GWR's famous camping coaches!

One other suggestion: PERRANPORTH BEACH! - A simple single line with a concrete structure for a platform. A hillside with houses on it behind, shops and a beach in front. Now there's a challenge, and, it shouldn't take up too much space.

I commuted from Lostwithiel to Truro 1985-95, so thanks for getting me there safely.

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions, I'm looking at lots of them. If I had room for a station on the mainline it would probably be Lostwithiel, though St Austell, Redruth etc are all good ideas. I'll look closer at Gunnislake, Calstock, Perranporth and others, it's the surroundings that are most important, attractive buildings close enough, some photos to give some idea of how the area looked c1930 or maybe c1912.

The station just needs to be small enough.

Thanks again to everyone.

Archived