Incident at Newbury on Monday the 17th Nov 2014

A signal base failed following a simple signal head renewal (from a standard MAS head to a lighter LED signal – not sure when exactly the head replacement was done) and the signal started to lean towards the running line, when it was hit by a train doing 110MPH and ended up in this position. Fortunately only minor damage occurred to the HST but is now subject to an investigation by RAIB.

post-19218-0-23338700-1416428236.jpg

It sounds like it was very lucky it was a train on Up line (the far one in the pic)  that hit the top of it and destroyed the junction indicator, rather than a train on the down line hitting it full on.

I work with the driver that hit and to say he wasnt very impressed would be a bit of an understatement!

He was quite glad that the signal was one of the new plastic ones rather than a proper steel one.

if the signal is still red, how come the train didn't stop?

Because the train was on the up line (at the top) and it took the feathers off the top of the signal.

If the train had been on the down line (which the signal is lying across) the signal wouldnt still be there would it!

I work with the driver that hit and to say he wasnt very impressed would be a bit of an understatement!

He was quite glad that the signal was one of the new plastic ones rather than a proper steel one.

I don't blame him. I'm no structural engineer but I can't see any clean metal in the fracture and it looks like it was only the rust holding it together. I'd not be surprised if the process of changing the head hadn't finished it off. This does look like a lucky escape but relying on luck isn't a good approach to safety.

I was about to ask if the signal lying like that had dropped the TC, but then remembered they where out hat and its nearlly all treadles now!

Going off topic but does make me wonder what will replace TC operating clips in the future.

Anyway that post looks in a bad state, makes you wonder how many others on the network may be in the same state or worse.....

Keith

I was about to ask if the signal lying like that had dropped the TC, but then remembered they where out hat and its nearlly all treadles now!

Going off topic but does make me wonder what will replace TC operating clips in the future.

Anyway that post looks in a bad state, makes you wonder how many others on the network may be in the same state or worse.....

Keith

If I followed the OP correctly, the signal wasn't lying over the track until the train hit and then it fell over, therefore any track circuits wouldn't have been replaced.

When you say treadles, I assume you mean Axle Counters, most of which don't use treadles, most use the disruption of a magnetic field by a passing train wheel to detect the presence of a train. It is unlikely that anything will replace the TC Clips in future.

It's interesting that I assume the cables would need, at the very least, checking for compatibility and possibly replacing and seen as these go through the post and down to the base, the base would of been seen by the engineers.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Yes by our structure examiners - going to be a stewards inquiry into this one....................................... :O

So it was up towards the Racecourse station then?

Ah, the new 'traditional' version of plastic that can rust :O   That signal is no more one of those 'plastic Mickeys' than it is a GWR timber post, and like all the original colour light in the vicinity of Newbury it would have been installed in the 1970s as it is to the BR 'standard' design which the WR were using by then with a welded base plate - I wonder if it's one of the ones being replaced (much work going on in the vicinity at present).

And BTW as far as I know the axle counters in the Newbury area have not yet been commissioned, it's still all continuously track circuited.  But a track circuitwouldn't  have dropped if the signal wasn't bridging the rails would it, hence a train on the opposite line would have had no warning except good old fashioned handsignals and dets or a general 'Stop' on the radio if the 'box etc could be told in time.  So next question - are the multitude of contractors at work down the B&H laying cable, putting in locs, and erecting signals actually qualified in protection Rules and if not why no if they happen to be working with things that can foul running lines - RAIB could have a  field day with that but we won't know for a year or so.

Archived