Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

• RMweb Gold

I 've decided to bottle out on this one....unless  ( pigs might fly ) I can pick one up alot cheaper than they are at present.Not exactly short of them is another factor .

I didn't pay full retail (collectors club discount), so it was worthwhile for me to snaffle one up (along with a ridiculously cheap 42xx). By the looks of it she'll become Axminster, as it was one the few Rebuilds I had, that I didn't rename/renumber myself.

I 've decided to bottle out on this one....unless  ( pigs might fly ) I can pick one up alot cheaper than they are at present.Not exactly short of them is another factor .

HAH!!

Receiving the one that I ordered and was supposedly dispatched TWICE to me already, first time on Dec. 17th, would be something I'd be happy with <sigh> :butcher:  :triniti:

A suspicious looking package turned up this afternoon, via Interlink...

attachicon.gif34013_mobile.jpg

It looks a lot like a Bulleid... :jester:  :jester:

Thanks for that pic. I have an unopened package from Hornby here while I have a morning coffee, and it too is an Okehampton. One needs a touch of Bulleid to keep balance in one's life.

I think when I photograph it later I might experiment with a name change...   any ideas?   :)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that pic. I have an unopened package from Hornby here while I have a morning coffee, and it too is an Okehampton. One needs a touch of Bulleid to keep balance in one's life.

I think when I photograph it later I might experiment with a name change...   any ideas?   :)

Any of the early rebuilds.. Barnstaple, Exeter, Ilfracombe, Dartmoor, Exmoor - to name but a few

Any of the early rebuilds.. Barnstaple, Exeter, Ilfracombe, Dartmoor, Exmoor - to name but a few

Well here it is straight out of the box, I like the look, runs well, can't see any obvious faults.  Hornby back at their best?

Natural light about 60% with 40% from 40w tungsten bulb reading lamp, in natural light the green is softer,  rather nice I think.

post-7929-0-29298800-1452548928_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-02476900-1452548953_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-54211200-1452548976_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, in that I've never looked at specific dates but I presume you're saying that the early rebuilds were in general fitted with cut down 5500g tenders rather than 4500g ones?

I could do with another rebuild but shall wait wait for one with a 4500g tender as I already have a Plymouth with the 5500g version.

• RMweb Gold

The first 70 locos were built with the Hastings line in mind, and so had 8ft6in cabs and tenders.  The last 40 had 9ft wide cabs and tenders.  When the locos were rebuilt, they were given 9ft wide cabs and it was the practice to allocate 9ft wide tenders to the rebuilds. But with 60 locos eventually being rebuilt there weren't enough 9ft tenders to go round so many retained narrow tenders.

Hornby are producing the Golden Arrow Commemoration pack later this year with 34100 Appledore as the loco.  Pretty certain this had a narrow tender at that time so it will be interesting to see if this is what Hornby provide.

• RMweb Gold

Someone is certain to complain about the green.....

Mine isnt really green anymore - more like a dirty blackish dark colour!!

In the past I have swapped tenders around to get the narrower tenders with the correct numbered rebuilt one. Not quite so easy now that they have changed the tender connections. IIRC even the tender body screw positions to attach the chassis have changed.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, in that I've never looked at specific dates but I presume you're saying that the early rebuilds were in general fitted with cut down 5500g tenders rather than 4500g ones?

I could do with another rebuild but shall wait wait for one with a 4500g tender as I already have a Plymouth with the 5500g version.

Virtually all the locos rebuilt up-to the end of 1959 had a 5,500gl tenders with the exception of three (Torrington, Boscastle & Braunton), that had re-bodied 5,250gl tenders built on the 4,500gl chassis.

From 1960 onwards, it's mix and match.

• RMweb Gold

No, the complaint would be about continuing with the daft fixed trailing bogie. It stopped me buying more than one, when I wanted several. Rant over!

I have looked at trying to make it move. I am sure it can be done but its just taking the plunge once I can be sure I wont ruin it.

Archived