Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

• RMweb Gold

Is that the one with the AWS battery box?

Yes, the same as on 'Manston' - the two locos appear to have been a single production run, separated only at the decoration stage. 

AWS box is OK for 'Manston' but definitely incorrect for 'Exeter' which didn't get AWS until rebuilt. However, the box comes off easily enough.

John

• RMweb Gold

I don't get too 'wound up' by historical inaccuracies, but I must say that this current batch of Bulleid 'air smoothed' light pacifics seem so much better produced than the last batch of 'Exeters'. Have Hornby been watching this column and reacted?

Is it the chassis or the body that is better? While the rear-position safety valves rule the loco shell out, a better chassis might be of interest, albeit not at list price.

• RMweb Gold

Is it the chassis or the body that is better? While the rear-position safety valves rule the loco shell out, a better chassis might be of interest, albeit not at list price.

I had my former Exeter apart, to investigate as to why it was free wheeling. Fortunately is was a loose motor mounting bracket, so a couple of minutes to fix.

They have a different 5 pole motor, a few tweaks for the wiring and the pickups are a different material (nickel silver or stainless steel) rather than phosphor bronze.

It runs a lot better too, can actually say the same about my former Okehampton as well, the running qualities appear to be a lot better that the SK built ones.

• RMweb Gold

I had my former Exeter apart, to investigate as to why it was free wheeling. Fortunately is was a loose motor mounting bracket, so a couple of minutes to fix.

They have a different 5 pole motor, a few tweaks for the wiring and the pickups are a different material (nickel silver or stainless steel) rather than phosphor bronze.

It runs a lot better too, can actually say the same about my former Okehampton as well, the running qualities appear to be a lot better that the SK built ones.

Thanks for that. I have a Torrington that has meshing problems, so will look at the remedy you found effective, too

I don't get too 'wound up' by historical inaccuracies, but I must say that this current batch of Bulleid 'air smoothed' light pacifics seem so much better produced than the last batch of 'Exeters'. Have Hornby been watching this column and reacted?

What I meant was that the standard of manufacture is so much better in that these models run reliably. I haven't had,so far, distorted cogs making  locos run 'lumpy', valve gear CONSTANTLY coming apart or having to sort out wheel back to backs because locos can't pull even a reasonable load. Running the current batch of Bulleids  has actually been pleasurable!!!!

It would seem that maybe in the later days of Sanda Kan manufacture (maybe when they were owned by Kader), that assembly standards slipped to a level far below what they were originally. I've had no problems at all with my un-rebuilt Wilton, Combe Martin (from the Pines Express set) or rebuid Ottery St Mary.

It would seem that maybe in the later days of Sanda Kan manufacture (maybe when they were owned by Kader), that assembly standards slipped to a level far below what they were originally. I've had no problems at all with my un-rebuilt Wilton, Combe Martin (from the Pines Express set) or rebuid Ottery St Mary.

Possibly true.  I was lucky? and bought two SK Exeters, one is still in its box unopened, the other had a slightly bent nameplate, about 5 degrees out of horizontal, so I have bought etched plates for it, but otherwise they seem fine.   And no there are no crewmen in the accessory pack from memory. Just a charming absence of AWS boxes...

Unlike the problems Heljan seen to have with their O2... every time I look at an ad for them I see the awful roughly-moulded chimney and steer well clear, quite apart from reliability issues.  On the other hand I love my Garratts!  :)

• RMweb Gold

Possibly true.  I was lucky? and bought two SK Exeters, one is still in its box unopened, the other had a slightly bent nameplate, about 5 degrees out of horizontal, so I have bought etched plates for it, but otherwise they seem fine.   And no there are no crewmen in the accessory pack from memory. Just a charming absence of AWS boxes...

Unlike the problems Heljan seen to have with their O2... every time I look at an ad for them I see the awful roughly-moulded chimney and steer well clear, quite apart from reliability issues.  On the other hand I love my Garratts!  :)

Serendipity. I was initially sceptical of the O2. I got a good'un,as did others on this forum. I challenge you to buy and try Rob,because this is a model that has been short changed by early examples.I am likewise sceptical about claims made about new Hornby Bulleids.IMHO,earlier versions are as good if not better....apart from split gears...and apart from Toboldlygo,I have sufficient examples to reach a considered judgement.Differences are imperceptible.Qualty of assembly is down to luck in individual cases.whoever makes it.

Serendipity. I was initially sceptical of the O2. I got a good'un,as did others on this forum. I challenge you to buy and try Rob,because this is a model that has been short changed by early examples....

Nice try but I cannot get past the rough O2 chimney moulding(s), the digital camera can be cruel,   plus I have just spent a pile on Hornby models, a gloss finish BR 6029 King (new model) and gloss finish Britannia 70044 Earl Haig among them....  I'll enjoy photographing them..

Others are a weathered old style King in BR form with extras like front train number (must check which train it represents... the work! the work!) , an LNER mint Sandringham 2800 on special at UKP64 at Hattons how could you refuse , a weathered re-numbered detailed Black 5,  so that's as near as I will currently go with humble goods engines.    :)

Edit; Train number 675 Penzance to Wolverhampton.... 

http://g3w1.com/gwr_train_description.htm

I can change the 7 to a 1 or 2 and it's for Paddington....   great!

Here below is the old, reviled-by-some, ancient 6009 'King Charles II' with Hornby's mechanism at its best, in my experience, and the only possible thing wrong with the model is the width of the cylinders...  and that's pretty minor. It cost pennies, you can't give 'em away at the moment.

Actually looking at the photos in 'Portrait of Kings' by Bryan Holden and Kenneth Leech the cylinders are fine. Steam pipes early type    hmmm.  it certainly has the brutish look of the prototype, the engine having similar effect on the feelings of crews, by many accounts. As if the engine was almost too much to drive with subtlety, even if regularly occasionally making 100mph with the Bristolian...  firing that 12'-long grate?   No give me a Merchant Navy any day.... :)

post-7929-0-51615500-1458960749_thumb.jpg

oops thread drift, not just drift but wholesale sellout to  arrgghh  ack   gasp  choke      SWINDON  

in any event before long there will be a King Charles III  and I'm sure not from Swindon...     on the subject of heads of state and such NZ has just voted by a 4:3 margin to RETAIN the current NZ flag with Union Jack and Southern Cross.  These damn republicanists do not understand what an impartial head of state does, and how good the Westminster system is...     how's that for thread drift!   

• RMweb Gold

Actually looking at the photos in 'Portrait of Kings' by Bryan Holden and Kenneth Leech the cylinders are fine. Steam pipes early type    hmmm.  it certainly has the brutish look of the prototype, the engine having similar effect on the feelings of crews, by many accounts. As if the engine was almost too much to drive with subtlety, even if regularly occasionally making 100mph with the Bristolian...  firing that 12'-long grate?   No give me a Merchant Navy any day.... :)

attachicon.gif6009_R2234_1abcde_r1200.jpg

oops thread drift, not just drift but wholesale sellout to  arrgghh  ack   gasp  choke      SWINDON  

in any event before long there will be a King Charles III  and I'm sure not from Swindon...     on the subject of heads of state and such NZ has just voted by a 4:3 margin to RETAIN the current NZ flag with Union Jack and Southern Cross.  These damn republicanists do not understand what an impartial head of state does, and how good the Westminster system is...     how's that for thread drift!   

Funny lookin' West Country............. :jester:

I've always concurred with the statement that the Castle was the Star taken to its logical conclusion and the King, a couple of steps beyond it.

As for the monarchy thing, better a head of state to whom some are indifferent than one who nearly half the population actively dislike, IMHO.

Probably a darn sight cheaper than a presidency, too. :offtopic: par excellence.

John  

Well - that was a surprise. - Found a Hornby 34013 Okehampton today for sale (brand new) at the Norwich MRE through the good offices of Caister Loco. Though I had missed the boat ion that one. Think he said he had some more at base if anyone is interested.

• 9 months later...

I have just purchased a second Exeter new from rails, and having put it against my original one (one from the first batch), there is a box in front of the smoke box on the second, but not on the first. What is this? Should my original one have had it?

Thanks. (Sorry for all the questions!)

I have just purchased a second Exeter new from rails, and having put it against my original one (one from the first batch), there is a box in front of the smoke box on the second, but not on the first. What is this? Should my original one have had it?

I think you are referring to the AWS system battery box put there in the late 60,s.It therefore depends on what era you model in.

I think I am correct with this reply and hope it helps.

regards,

Ed

• RMweb Gold

It's an AWS battery box which 34001 Exeter did not acquire until after it was rebuilt.  It's therefore not correct for it to be on this early version.  However, apparently it can be prised off fairly easily if you want although I've not tried that on mine.

EDIT: If you're thinking of renumbering it you could choose 34024 Tamar Valley as that acquired an AWS box whilst still in original condition with unmodified tender.

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/Original-Bulleid-locomotives/i-PpTL9c6/A

Archived