Dettingen GCR might have been layout

They might have got brown and french grey, but I doubt they had brown and cream livery. One of the quirks of the MS&L was that they only put ventilators over the smoking compartments, these were usually at the ends of the coach.

Most of the photos I've seen of the all 3rd class carriages have vents over all 5 compartments, the GCR being not so bothered about lung cancer in the lower orders.

In "The Great Central in LNER Days 2", page 56 there is a photo of a row of 6 wheelers from sideways on at Hayfield in 1926.  To my eyes they are GCR carriages, but I'm not 100% certain.  There are 2 full 1sts, 1 full 3rd and what appears to be a brake 3rd, all with vents above each compartment.  If you don't have access to the book, I'll gladly scan it so you can see for yourself

That photo shows coaches that have been refurbished and made into close coupled sets. The four wheeled coaches that form part of this thread had all be withdrawn from revenue service by 1910. Looking through my collection of photos where the trains are GC, and particularly the two colour passenger liveries, it is obvious that while some carriages, presumably late build stock, have roof vent on all compartments, many don't. Some carriages have no vents whiles other have vents over one or two compartments. See for instance the Biltcliffe photo on page 16 of "The Great Central in LNER Days 1" or the Biltcliffe photos in "Great Central Album"

It's a pity we haven't got a definitive book on GC coaches, though I gather one on the Robinson designs is in preparation. The LDEC coaches are another variable in the mix. They are a different style again. It used to be possible to get body kits from Trevor Charlton, but these have not been available for years, and finding some second-hand would be like finding a unicorn. I'm pretty sure the LDEC coaches were drawn for the MRC many years ago, if anyone fancies getting out the Plastikard. 

(By LDEC coaches, I mean the 6 wheelers native to that company. They also had some 4wh Great Eastern jobbies that carried miners about for years - not sure exactly when those were withdrawn.)

EDIT MRC 8/76 for the LDEC coach drawings, according to a source I have found. IIRC the panelling is a bit simpler than the MS&L coaches, so they might be easier to do from scratch.

Edited by Poggy1165

That photo shows coaches that have been refurbished and made into close coupled sets. The four wheeled coaches that form part of this thread had all be withdrawn from revenue service by 1910. Looking through my collection of photos where the trains are GC, and particularly the two colour passenger liveries, it is obvious that while some carriages, presumably late build stock, have roof vent on all compartments, many don't. Some carriages have no vents whiles other have vents over one or two compartments. See for instance the Biltcliffe photo on page 16 of "The Great Central in LNER Days 1" or the Biltcliffe photos in "Great Central Album"

I might hold off on painting to search for the French gray in the UK when I come over in the summer. What is a good colour match?

I didn't know the French spelt grey the same as the Americans do. :O

Clive we have covered this before, it is the hazards of a USA I pad predictive text.

Kindly pay attention at the back boy otherwise you will have to write lines.

:) Richard

• RMweb Premium

I will not criticise the teacher for using the wrong type of English predictive text.

I will not criticise the teacher for using the wrong type of English predictive text.

My spell checker thingy wanted me to spell criticise with a z.

• Like 1

To my eyes at least 'French grey' has a sort of greenish cast to it. I suppose the best bet is to try to match the coach at Ingrow, which I seem to recall was restored it this livery. (I haven't seen it for about 5 years and my memory for some things is poor. (Adjective left out, but it begins with 'p'.)

I have only ever used French grey once - for the ends of a GER unfitted van. The early GC coach livery strikes me as very challenging, though I have seen some beautiful jobs done.

• Like 2

My spell checker thingy wanted me to spell criticise with a z.

You have copy and pasted, that is cheating- two demerits

• Like 1

So livery change was 1908 and they went in 1910, so can it be assumed that some got back into teak? ( unlikely)

If not French gray looks by far the easier to produce.

The livery changes were;

1897 -- teak -> brown/french grey

1904 -- brown/french grey -> brown/cream

1908 -- brown/cream -> teak

This was for main line carriages, it's probable there was a 3-4 year overlap where two liveries could be seen. I'm less sure about the suburban and older coaches as they are less visible in photos.

• 2 weeks later...

To make bill happy I have rectified the roof, and have worked out what the small holes on the ends are four, a hand rail for the roof access.

post-23520-0-27896500-1460936565_thumb.jpg

I have got half way through its accompanying third.

I have decided I prefer first class, not for comfort or because I am a snob, but because it has less doors and so less hinges and windows etc.

I must get round to placing the order for the composite and brake third

Richard

• Like 7

What do you think the drop ligt window was for?

Peeing out of as my mother will testify I had to do when very little traveling on a non corridor train in Germany in the seventies. I was held up to perform at the drop light .........not whilst passing through a station.

Richard

And the next.

A 4 wheel third

It has not worked out quite right on one side but I hope filler will cover the issue up.

Next time I will try fitting the hinges and then the top to bottom half of the sides.

post-23520-0-69581400-1461518744_thumb.jpg

It is complete on the outside just the inside to go.

Just ordered the other two coaches to make the train, and a few extra wagons, just to keep me busy.

Richard

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...