Dettingen GCR might have been layout

I'm not sure that any of the four and six wheelers had any crests in the two-toned livery.

I put them on the first two I did so must have been prompted by something. I would have to go back through the thread to work out what made me do it, photo or discussion, fact or best guess at the time.

Any idea about the doors?

Many thanks

Richard

Finally with couplings and able to run their first service.

post-23520-0-72655400-1546905202_thumb.jpeg

It goes to show the mountain to climb. The j11 is Bachmann’s but as yet improved and detailed as lack of time, need to get it all prepped.

Next a couple of gunpowder vans need couplings.

Richard

• Like 6

Although I'm not an enthusiast of the GCR two-tone coach livery period, it is very nice to see models of vintage coaches such as these.

Do you're curve radii permit shortening of the couplings on these coaches? It would be of benefit to the appearance of the train.

• Like 1

Although I'm not an enthusiast of the GCR two-tone coach livery period, it is very nice to see models of vintage coaches such as these.Do you're curve radii permit shortening of the couplings on these coaches? It would be of benefit to the appearance of the train.

I agree it would look better close coupled, however....

What curve radii? At the moment it is a BLT and so the greatest curve is the point to go from one platform line to the other . In the end it will be developed to become a roundy roundy with 7”6’ of space so maybe 3” curves if I get permission to extend and use the garage. But started in 2008 so looks like a way off. Until I know what those curves would be I do not know exactly what it needs to go around. It is on the to do list, along with Barnum, Parker stock , more locos........just priorities, cash, etc. which is guiding the order of things happening.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

The distraction are complete.

A b unit repainted from Santa Fe to Pennsylvania

A challenger with scratch built tender for Delaware and Hudson

A j3 from Santa Fe to New York central

A switcher from Santa Fe to Pennsylvania

It makes you wonder if they just over did a livery as they do in the uk, hence they could be brought on the cheap.

post-23520-0-22746500-1547849207_thumb.jpeg

post-23520-0-32912700-1547849217_thumb.jpeg

post-23520-0-97608200-1547849228_thumb.jpeg

post-23520-0-05056700-1547849239_thumb.jpeg

The gunpowder vans are next into the works for the Ww1 train.

• Like 1

This is up next.

post-23520-0-39888900-1548013281_thumb.jpeg

Have brought the tram off my son to use as the running chassis. It also has light which may transfer. I must investigate. He thinks he got the better deal, I disagree.

A little more detail on the body. Then finding how to fit the chassis, lengthen it and change one bogie length. Maybe just overlaying the shorter wheelbase. Will it be noticed?

Must experiment.

Richard

• Like 8

Gunpowder vans carry........gunpowder. It will run in the war bonds promotional train along side the plane and two tanks. I might get a 13pdr and limber but then I would need a horse box or cattle trucks too. The vans are used to emphasize there is fighting and inspire people to buy the bonds, just like the tanks for crushing carts act.

I doubt bk 31bty would tell the difference to him it has four wheels, sides, ends and a roof.

As to the A unit, I could find out but it is one of those bonnet ones, if I check I will find they were never matched. Ignorance is bliss and it is my light hearted distraction, no need to get too serious with it otherwise I would have to concentrate on two layouts.

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gunpowder vans carry........gunpowder. It will run in the war bonds promotional train along side the plane and two tanks. I might get a 13pdr and limber but then I would need a horse box or cattle trucks too. The vans are used to emphasize there is fighting and inspire people to buy the bonds, just like the tanks for crushing carts act.

I doubt bk 31bty would tell the difference to him it has four wheels, sides, ends and a roof.

As to the A unit, I could find out but it is one of those bonnet ones, if I check I will find they were never matched. Ignorance is bliss and it is my light hearted distraction, no need to get too serious with it otherwise I would have to concentrate on two layouts.

Richard

An 18 pdr would be better, only need to have transport seven horses, six draft and one for the gun number one. The rest of the gun crew marched on their feet. A 13 pdr, being a gun of the RHA would need another five horses for the gun crew.

A "B" unit would normally have two "A" units one each end. It was not unknown for "B" units to be sandwiched between two or more hood units. 

post-16423-0-38467600-1548093192_thumb.png

post-16423-0-97234400-1548093207_thumb.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Either gun might work as it is a promotional train and just to show off the kit as a prop rather than need men who otherwise could be at the front.

Richard

Hi Richard

Maybe a 15 pdr either a BLC 15pdr or a QF 15pdr Mk1* as these were only used in the early part of the war until more 18 pdrs were built but were used for training into the 1920s.One would make an ideal promotional gun for recruiting men into the artillery. 

post-16423-0-50782900-1548159907_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am struggling with this new set up. No action seems to have as few steps as before. Have only just found my own page.

in the meantime have got the chassis lengthened and under the railcar. The light can still work but would illuminate a large motor inside so probably not worth it. 

A4C78F77-6428-4DDA-98E0-3BED0C9922F5.jpeg.69f601e345b0db415d3de2afc9ce796f.jpeg

The chassis is wrong way around in the photo. I might not try to move the bogie wheels 3 mm on the other one and see if the sides of the bogie mask the short wheel base. Wheels will be painted. 

Maybe it will be easier to find my stuff after this. Lost all conversations including people’s information which was useful and photos/ drawings sent. 

Richard

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The front ends are done, or is that the front and the back end. 

It seemed to have a single large large horn on the roof. One at each end. Where might I get one? My idea so far is the pointy end of a biro and a tube out the back onto a larger tube. 

B954D30D-8263-4710-8527-DCFEE6723CDF.jpeg.902b3ca90cfbf11e2e2886ab49f4a980.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I assume you have got it back?  I always go from 'Content I have posted in', and change it to 'unread', which means it disappears when I have read it, but I can change it back to 'everything' if I want to see it.

Top half done. C0BA4411-C302-44C3-A565-F3B8A53BBBBB.jpeg.37270485f51863978975631ce9abc083.jpeg

3DC15F23-E6D3-474F-AD8F-3511D1BE250D.jpeg.96ac2b847fbff54f164881b7bbc3d9c8.jpeg

Just about visible the wheel and lever inside the cab. They are very obvious looking through the windows from the front. Less so the panel with the dials on. I have not fitted that. Might fit internal partitions and once painted the handles and grab rails. Next to build, the bogies and underframe. 

Still trying to master getting photos in the right place and the right size. Maybe it is an iPad thing. 

Richard

• Like 8