Dettingen GCR might have been layout

Bill

You are right. I ordered it on lowest resolution to save costs. I have rubbed down the petrol rail car more to represent varnished sides. This one I left to leave a little of a wood grain effect. This close up it looks overdone, at the usual 2 foot rule it looks fine. The roof is much smoother which is looked down on more. Yours look as good as an injection mounded plastic kit and looks great. Would be great to get one for another freight.

For me this one will quietly do its job trundling on the back of a freight.

It has been fun to see what is possible with a lower res print. I like experimenting just for the sake of experimenting.

Richard

• Like 2

Let’s get rolling.

post-23520-0-54656600-1539371917_thumb.jpeg

Here the brake is in the up goods yard finally on its wheels. It is a little light so I will add weight. It rolls smoothly. Glazing and flooring in.

Now just lamps and letters to go.

I hope with this ore eye distance shot to show that the “roughness” is all but lost to the eye at this distance. Other than an incorrect r-t-r wagon, you would be hard presses to find anything GCR at this price in 4mm. Whilst I am happy to pay more. It is nice to work on a cheep kit sometimes. Experimenting is not costly if it goes wrong.

Richard

• Like 6

I hope with this ore eye distance shot to show that the “roughness” is all but lost to the eye at this distance. Other than an incorrect r-t-r wagon, you would be hard presses to find anything GCR at this price in 4mm. Whilst I am happy to pay more. It is nice to work on a cheep kit sometimes. Experimenting is not costly if it goes wrong.

The 4 wheel goods brake I'll be doing for £27.50, just give me a couple of days to update the website. This will be for a full kit except for wheels and coupling if you don't use 3 links.

I'd probably do more GC wagons, but I've done so many in brass, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Edited by billbedford

First finished model since last November. The tank engine absorbed a lot of time which accounts for most of that time.

post-23520-0-49572400-1539433777_thumb.jpeg

Sitting at the back of the exchange sidings. Now with glazing, lamps, transfers plus weight added.

Rub down lettering, best to remove backing paper first. Forgot to for one letter.

Just some weathering to go.

Great news on your 4 wheel GCR brake van Bill. Looks like I will end up with enough brake vans to run all the trains I have planned.

Now to finish the 4 wheel coaches. Before pushing on with the petrol rail car. Good thing I did things in. The order I did, even though it has meant 7 projects on the go at the same time, because I managed to get the spray painting done out doors before the weather turned for all the projects.

Richard

• Like 6

Where did you get the rub-down transfers from?  I get the 'new-old' stock from Quainton Road via Ebay but I'm curious if there is an alternative for when the supply dries up.

I got the rub down ones from dragon models. But it was when they were stopping doing them so I really stocked up. They are great for planked sides. Whilst dragon models is still going,(last time I checked), I do not know/ if they were true to their word will have stopped doing these.

I only have enough for another ten. After that is the hope the gcrs ones come on line. Things on that front have gone quiet recently.

Richard

• Like 2

I'm sure I read in Forward that there are possibly two sources of GCR wagon transfers in the offing, as you say it's all gone quiet.  #193, September 2017 suggests Old Time Workshops are/ will be doing transfers for freight stock whilst HMRS were looking at crests and loco monograms. #194, December 2017 expresses the hope they'll be available by end of 2017.  Then it goes quiet.  I've checked on the Old Time Workshops website and there's no mention of them! 

Figures almost done.

post-23520-0-53165300-1539617835_thumb.jpeg

post-23520-0-45886400-1539617844_thumb.jpeg

For those who do not recognize me, this is me. I had a beard at the time so painted some up with beards. SHMBO says she prefers the clean shaven look even in model form.

Personally the one facing the opposite direction to all the others I think came out best. For some reason the white has been turned a pale blue by the washes put on. Whilst the white clothes are accurate for my earlier models, I am not happy with the grey trousers so will redo those in blue or black, or might try dry brushing white to draw out shadows. Can you tell it is me, possibly not, but then that’s what I get for being average height and average build. Though for pre grouping I might be considered a couple of inches over average height and about a stone over average weight. Oh how times change.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Also for inspiration I took a main line trip behind a blue pacific. Alas not an A4, but 120 miles behind this.

attachicon.gif97C1FF20-9851-4DDD-B20F-FEC64128439D.jpeg

Sounded great, but speed did not really climb above 45mph as the track would raise eyebrows were it on a main line in the U.K.

Richard

Oh goodie there looks like there is a Subway......

• RMweb Gold

The secret of healthy eating (or at least avoiding unhealthy post digestive experiences) when travelling: eat junk food, at least you know what to expect.

• RMweb Premium

The secret of healthy eating (or at least avoiding unhealthy post digestive experiences) when travelling: eat junk food, at least you know what to expect.

Or, as Cecil Torr's grandfather advised (c. 1840) - order the wine of the country as that's what you'll get whatever you ask for and if asked for under its proper name, you might get it unadulterated.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

I am surprised you did not spot the two car dmu in the background. This is at Jim Thorpe, a town with enough decent eating establishments that one does not need to stoop to fast food brands. It is interesting, a picture of modeling is dealt with by silent appreciation. A small sign behind a train elicits much discussion. Happy to discuss both.

Richard

• Like 2

Or, as Cecil Torr's grandfather advised (c. 1840) - order the wine of the country as that's what you'll get whatever you ask for and if asked for under its proper name, you might get it unadulterated.

I normally see where the locals eat and then eat there. Normally it is tasty and cheaper than elsewhere.

Richard

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I am surprised you did not spot the two car dmu in the background. This is at Jim Thorpe, a town with enough decent eating establishments that one does not need to stoop to fast food brands. It is interesting, a picture of modeling is dealt with by silent appreciation. A small sign behind a train elicits much discussion. Happy to discuss both.

Richard

Hi Richard

I have never really liked Bud railcars, its all that stainless steel, their shape and every railroad that had then they all looked the same, more so that G*R 4-6-0s.

Is this town, Jim Thorpe, trying to look like a Bavarian mountain resort? Faller kits with Athearn locos, sounds a good layout. And when you buy a sign for your layout you get a free sandwich. Well you can cut it out of the wrapper. 

• 2 weeks later...

Limited work done. Been busy - not my choice.

However have got this wheeled up and basic paint colours on. All just placed on top of each other for the photo.

post-23520-0-81369700-1540475123_thumb.jpeg

The other two need wheeling.

Then windows, glazing, and all the door furniture. Then tackling the insides.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Difficult to see what has changed as all in the details.

attachicon.gif14717C9F-D139-4DDF-B67C-FE6EC312D826.jpeg

Axle boxes painted. The steps and hand rails blackened. Buffers on. Next up all the brass fittings. Some how feel I need to fit them all before the glazing.

Richard

Hi Richard

Glazing, didn't you learn anything off of me when we both went to Witham club? Glazing? :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Hi Richard

Glazing, didn't you learn anything off of me when we both went to Witham club? Glazing? :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

It is true, I admire the speed which your policy of not glazing allows, however I am a glutton for punishment and the opportunity to have to cut almost 90 small piece of clear plastic, lose them when I put them down to find the glue and have to make more is too much to resist.

Richard

• Like 3

It is true, I admire the speed which your policy of not glazing allows, however I am a glutton for punishment and the opportunity to have to cut almost 90 small piece of clear plastic, lose them when I put them down to find the glue and have to make more is too much to resist.

Richard

You mean you don't use double sided tape?