New Hornby Collectors Club?

southernelectric

Why is there not a single diesel/electric loco in the Collectors club exclusive range?? There is currently 9 steam era models in the range. Hornby really need to include modern traction to the range if they actually want to attract younger members to the club. If they can include steam models up to £130 then why not a diesel, even just a limited edition sentinel or railroad model. The £20 voucher is currently useless to me!

The £20 voucher is currently useless to me!

It's useless to most steam-era fans too.

Previous members will already have three of them that they are apparently trying to flog, presumably having made too many.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Why is there not a single diesel/electric loco in the Collectors club exclusive range?? There is currently 9 steam era models in the range. Hornby really need to include modern traction to the range if they actually want to attract younger members to the club. If they can include steam models up to £130 then why not a diesel, even just a limited edition sentinel or railroad model. The £20 voucher is currently useless to me!

The problem with the club offering is that:

• There are three 0-4-0 locos of limited prototypical use, one of which is sold out.
  • There are three 0-6-0 locos of limited prototypical use, two of which have delivery dates retreating into next year.
  • There is one 4-6-2 loco that they don't seem to be able to shift.
  • There is one 4-6-2 loco that has yet to see the light of day (admittedly its supposed to be here in 7 days time...)
  • And there is also a 2 year old "collectors" 7 plank wagon that they're trying to get rid of...

I suppose the 0-4-0s are relics of the day when the "free" club loco was an 0-4-0 with an implausible livery.

Its about time the club locos reflected other forms of motive power other than steam, and perhaps in addition had interesting variants of goods and passenger rolling stock.

Oh and were available sometime near the start of the "club year" so we can use our vouchers on something sensible!

• RMweb Gold

I phoned my order for Manston, using the voucher, and the whole process took about two minutes. It must be just the luck of the draw when you ring etc.  I got an emailed confirmation a few minutes later. Very simple process.

And indeed,this morning it has worked for me.Thank you for that.Success at long last and redemption of the voucher.Appears that sometimes the telephone is the best way."Manston" at £105 delivered is worth it.

Following on from my previous post(#143), I bit the bullet and called Hornby to order "Manston" this morning.  As Bulleidboy100 noted in his post(#147) it was a quick and easy transaction,taking no more than 150 seconds from dialling the number to putting the phone down.  A confirmation email arrived within seconds.

Excellent telephone service!

All Hornby need do now is deliver...

(Ian - we must have phoned to order "Manston" within minutes of each other!)

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Gold

An automated voice chanted "You are position one in the queue".....orderly chaps us Brits. Sets us apart from "them foreigners" Never mind,we got there in the end :jester: :jester:

Unless you're a pensioner with a free bus pass, then it doesn't seem to matter about the queue.

An automated voice chanted "You are position one in the queue".....orderly chaps us Brits. Sets us apart from "them foreigners" Never mind,we got there in the end :jester: :jester:

I am not a number, I am a FREE MAN!!!

Looks around for that damn bouncing ball......

Ummmm - they've moved the goalposts at 6 days notice.

Manston is now: Estimated Arrival 18/12/2015

They're not going to arrive before Christmas now.

Edited by Hroth

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo...  Manston might arrive by Xmas!  :O

Other club business.

Just got the Club Winter Special. Issue 1, no less!

A glossy 20 page brochure, advertising all sorts of Airfix, Scalextrix and Corgi stuff.  Oh and Hornby too! 

Illustrating each brand on the cover, we have:

Airfix: A rather snazzy biplane on skis

Scalextrix: A luxury super car

Corgi: Thunderbird 2 with Thunderbird 4 emerging from its pod

and what exemplifies Hornby Railways?

The Santa Express.

When we've had so many excellent models through the year, we get a decades old imaginary toy train  Its not really the right image.

Admittedly, there are 7 pages of editorial covering the various brands out of the 20, and two are of railway interest. There's a two page junior section and a "your editor writes" page inside the front cover.  So half isn't adverts, but I must say I'm rather underwhelmed.

... and what exemplifies Hornby Railways?

The Santa Express.

It's rather telling who they are targeting the club membership at. I recall somewhere their promotional material saying that the final installment of the club magazine was to be a bit retro, and inspired by the old 'bumper annuals' of club magazines from many years ago.

The intended audience is clearly to entice the casual enthusiast, not someone who has already decided that model railways is his/her primary pastime.

I wonder how long it will take to reach me.  Long after Christmas I expect.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Received my magazine today. Not the greatest publication it has to be said. The railway related articles were interesting enough. Since another of my interests is the work of Gerry Anderson the double page article was a bonus for me. Those models are on my wish list!

Having said that the gift ideas feature was rubbish. It featured the Santa Express with an advertised price of nearly £70 (most outlets are selling these for about £45). Then there was the Christmas 2015 wagon advertised for £10.95. Not only are these sold out everywhere, they retailed for £15. Finally there was Corgi model of FAB1 - not available until January! Nothing like giving good Christmas ideas!!!

• RMweb Gold

FYI Manston........Should be with you today.Interlink Derby (Alfreton) have mine ready for delivery....except in my case,it'll be tomorrow,as I'm out later when their delivery is scheduled.

Thought this info. would be helpful.

Cheers,Ian.

FYI Manston........Should be with you today.Interlink Derby (Alfreton) have mine ready for delivery....except in my case,it'll be tomorrow,as I'm out later when their delivery is scheduled.

Thought this info. would be helpful.

Cheers,Ian.

Mine has just this minute arrived.

• 4 weeks later...

The release date for the Terriers has moved forward, by 4 days to 27th January.

An unusual and welcome occurence. I was expecting them to recede another month into the distance as we approached the 31st....

I'm contemplating buying another Club example to repaint into BR Black as they're cheaper than anything to offer on ebay and cheaper than the "non-club" version arriving in April. In Supermarket terms its definitely a case of BOGOF!

Aaand....  They've shown up on Hornbys "Coming Soon" section.

(Edit for rephrasing and update)

Edited by Hroth

Club Terriers now in stock at Hornby.

Where, where?

They're still listed as "pre-order" on the club page and on the "Coming Soon" page.

(I'm not being snarky, I just want my "Whitechapel" to arrive soon.....  :)  )

And then they change Whitechapels status....  *shakes head*

Edited by Hroth