New Hornby Collectors Club?

southernelectric

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to say I decided to join in the last week or so. I paid my £20 and registered and have discovered that the £20 voucher that I could use against club exclusives was useless  as out of 7 items only 2 are available and they are the 2 0-4-0 locos. The club exclusive 2016 wagon suddenly sold out and is now on Hattons website for £7 as against £14.99. The 10% discount means nothing as prices from discount retailers still work out less that the Hornby discount and I'm not just talking of the bargain sales at Hattons, Rails and Kernow.

I emailed Hornby and highlighted these issues asking for a £20 refund and they apologised and refunded my money. A great disappointment even if the magazine is a great improvement.

• 1 month later...

My last issue* of "The Collector" arrived this morning.  Hornby are keeping up with the excellent reboot from the previous issue, 52 pages (inc covers) including pieces on:

• The S&DJR
  • Simon Kohler on the future of "manufacturing in China"
  • The Peppercorn K1 in model and reality
  • The North Yorkshire Moors Railway
  • Renaming/renumbering your model
  • The Dover quayside railway
  • The "Queen of Scots" Train
  • No. 488 - A Survivors Story
  • Young railway modellers at the Elgin MRC

Plus the usual Juniors Section and product information. There's also a list of proposed release dates for the rest of the year, though some are dodgy - the Peckett and the B12 are listed for 16th December...

Overall (first impressions) 9/10!

* Unless something occurs to encourage me to renew!

I really don't feel the need to renew my membership now. I think that after the fiasco of last year of trying to use their voucher to purchase manston only on numerous occasions to be told that the voucher had already been used even though it hadn't. I reckon I would've had more joy eating my voucher.

Big james

Now of course if they actually did a collectors' club locomotive that:

1. People wanted
  2. Was really only available through the collectors' club (instead of them remaindering their collectors' club "exclusives" because no one wants them)

It would be interesting to see if it had an impact on membership.

I wonder if they've thought about a Peckett in a livery available only to club members, perhaps sometime late in 2017, assuming of course that the first production batch of Pecketts do well, and Hornby lasts that long.

Now of course if they actually did a collectors' club locomotive that:

1. People wanted
  2. Was really only available through the collectors' club (instead of them remaindering their collectors' club "exclusives" because no one wants them)

It would be interesting to see if it had an impact on membership.

I wonder if they've thought about a Peckett in a livery available only to club members, perhaps sometime late in 2017, assuming of course that the first production batch of Pecketts do well, and Hornby lasts that long.

A Peckett, a Sentinel and perhaps a pack of suitable wagons for each.  All in liveries that will stay unique to club members and at prices that make it worth being a club member with a voucher. Thing is, they don't have to have a huge variety of items, just stuff that people will want and not reliveries of generic trainset stock.

Problem is that if they have this stock sitting on the shelf, turning over relatively slowly, then when there's another panic the beancounters and stock checkers will sell them off to the retail sector to raise some wind, like the Hornby 2016 Hopper, etc, etc.

• 1 month later...

Whilst browsing around the Hornby website, I took a nostalgic look at the Club models - all the old favourites, all marked "Sold Out"*, and the Join page ( http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/Hornby-club-holdingpage ) claims that, like Arnie, they'll be Back.  There is a phone number for renewals and an email address for updates, though with no club models on offer and only a quarterly 56 page mag and a 10% discount as an incentive to join, there's little temptation!

OTOH, the Airfix, Corgi and Scalextric clubs are still in full operation, so one wonders what the difficulty with the Hornby offer is.  Perhaps there's an ongoing corporate cost/benefit analysis on "club model vs £20 voucher across the range"?

*Though several are still available at Hattons for considerable discounts...

OTOH, the Airfix, Corgi and Scalextric clubs are still in full operation, so one wonders what the difficulty with the Hornby offer is.  Perhaps there's an ongoing corporate cost/benefit analysis on "club model vs £20 voucher across the range"?

The "We'll be back soon" page is curious.

We probably shouldn't speculate but perhaps this is staffing related with all the changes going on in Sandwich?

• RMweb Gold

Had a letter from Hornby the other week to renew my membership. Filled in the form and sent it back (last Wednesday), got the emails yesterday morning to say it had been renewed - job done,

All I can think of is that there is a gremlin with the renewal bit on the Hornby side of their website.

• RMweb Gold

Had a letter from Hornby the other week to renew my membership. Filled in the form and sent it back (last Wednesday), got the emails yesterday morning to say it had been renewed - job done,

All I can think of is that there is a gremlin with the renewal bit on the Hornby side of their website.

All joking apart,your post is the first positive news we've had on this subject for ages.

• RMweb Premium

I never re-joined the club, a combination of having got the air smoothed Bullied pacific and the absence of any club models this year. Whilst I wasn't that bothered about the idea of the models being exclusive I also think it was very disappointing that Hornby sold the idea of the club models as being exclusive and then dumping them to box shifters who sold them off. Not because I objected to the idea of non-club members getting the models but because if Hornby sell club memberships on the basis of a certain offer then they should stick to that offer. However, I did make good use of the 10% club discount.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I recently received a renewal notice, my last membership renewal being about 12 months ago.

I have to say that the quality of the magazine has improved markedly in the last couple of issues. (The Bachmann magazine is still better - not to mention their annual calendar and wagon, neither of which Hornby offers.)

Still, I was prepared to renew, from a sense of continuity if nothing else. Looking at the form however I noticed that there was no box to tick for "Rest of World / postal" subscriptions. Having asked the pertinent clarifying question, I did get a polite note from the Club saying that indeed, this was the case.

I don't want a download subscription, so I shan't renew. Which to tell the truth makes me feel a little disappointed.

According to the website they are currently amending the club package.That will be interesting as I joined last year and then discovered that none of the club specials were available and so promptly cancelled.I hope it improves.

I noticed the other day that the 'exclusive' Terrier that even still appears in the banner on the Hornby website and which is, bizarrely, unavailable from them is currently being sold by Rails of Sheffield. They have a large number in stock being sold new it seems. So much for rewarding members. I will not renew. 

And the only "available" Hornby club exclusive model is the rather garish PGA hopper for £16.99.

Listed by Hattons in their Hornby Bargain List for £7. 

Hattons also have more than 10 of the ex-club Limited Edition Flying Scotsman with the white roof for £115. Hornby couldn't convince 500 club members to snap it up, Hattons seem to be struggling to get buyers at a reduced price.

The idea of a range of club models seems to have been a mistake.  Perhaps Hornby needs to emulate Bachmann and offer a decent wagon or coach in an unusual but prototypical livery, none of this "Hornby" emblazoned nonsense like the hopper, as a model that goes to members each year.  Along with the 10% off offer and the decent magazine, this might encourage former members to renew and new members to join.

• Like 2

I noticed the other day that the 'exclusive' Terrier that even still appears in the banner on the Hornby website and which is, bizarrely, unavailable from them is currently being sold by Rails of Sheffield. They have a large number in stock being sold new it seems. So much for rewarding members. I will not renew. 

I asked the club about that. There is a funny story....

Agog. Any chance of you telling us?

And spoil the fun....?

Apparently, the mistake was made somewhere around the not limiting the number of purchases per household. Therefore, theoretically, there was nothing to stop someone at any given shop becoming a member of the club, and ordering X number of each. It would appear, on this occasion, that Hornby were out-thought....