New Hornby Collectors Club?

southernelectric

And spoil the fun....?

Apparently, the mistake was made somewhere around the not limiting the number of purchases per household. Therefore, theoretically, there was nothing to stop someone at any given shop becoming a member of the club, and ordering X number of each. It would appear, on this occasion, that Hornby were out-thought....

Thank you. Hornby seems to have got an awful lot wrong in recent years but seems to be emerging from the doldrums. The club seems to be one of the last things needing some sensible re-organisation!

• Like 1

Of course, they were under no obligation to accept the order and ship hundreds of the things to a shop in Sheffield.

Do we know if Rails have hundreds in stock? They're charging a hefty premium on it, they were £35 when being sold by Hornby (or £15 if you used the voucher).

The note on the Hornby website about relaunching the club has been up there for ages - if whatever they come up with makes financial sense I'll rejoin - if not, I won't.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If the individual orders them to their own address, as opposed to the shop, how is anyone to know any better....?

Were it not for the simple fact that Hornby have recently been in the habit of offloading stock to all and sundry to improve a much needed cashflow (witness Hatton's amazing Hornby prices as well as Rails themselves) one might be inclined to stretch one's imagination.But there again......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Online sign up now up http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/club

I see that one of the benefits being offered (3rd on the list) is "Access to Hornby Club models – only available to Club members".  The only club model currently on offer is the garish red Hornby Hopper wagon for £17.  Available for £10 cheaper at Hattons.....  Its not much of an incentive to join!

Perhaps something nice will be added in the next few months, to tempt jaded palettes.  A Sentinel say, with a new livery. Or some decent wagons.

We can but dream!

• 9 months later...
Guest Midland Mole

(Edit: Re-posted and edited from another thread)

Normally this announcement would just pass me by as I don't care about collectors clubs, but there was one part of it I noticed in the Hornby Magazine which makes me worry.

post-29937-0-44918600-1508241762_thumb.jpg

To me this can only be a negative to smaller model shops as naturally members of the club are going to search out the few retailers who offer these points.

Do Hornby really want to continue alienating retailers?

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

• RMweb Gold

Normally this announcement would just pass me by as I don't care about collectors clubs, but there was one part of it I noticed in the Hornby Magazine which makes me worry.

post-29937-0-39410400-1508231036_thumb.j

To me this can only be a negative to smaller model shops as naturally members of the club are going to search out the few retailers who offer these points.

Alex

Link doesnt work - sorry

• RMweb Premium

Alex

The words "selected third party locations" doesn't sound like model shops to me. I was thinking more outlets such as the NRM. Are there any retailers that still sell Hornby as a Concession (i.e. Hornby still owns the stock)?  I can't see one model shop offering points that you can then go and spend elsewhere.

For me the main benefits of a Club are discounts for members on purchases and/or access to limited edition models. But since discounts on full price can often be beaten by shopping around, limited editions are about the only thing going for it, so if more are promised I'm be willing to give the new Club a go. If that means following the Bachmann model quite closely so be it, although I would hope Hornby doesn't follow Bachmann by basing any annual club models on pre-nationalisation liveries. Colourful though they are, they're of no use for anyone modeling the late 50s or after.

Guest Midland Mole

I hope you are right about the points being tied to places like the NRM and not shops, but only time will tell with that one. I don't know about the concessions further than the ones they shut earlier this year.

While I understand your point about pre-grouping/grouping models, to be fair to Bachmann some of their more recent collectors club locos have been BR era (End of steam 4MT, Early BR Patriot, Redmire 20, XP64 47).

My concern is always for retailers on which the hobby relies for it's survival, but if they remain unaffected and if the new style club works out well for both Hornby and it's members, great. :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif003.JPG

Alex

Nectar card ?  More cheap(er) petrol at Sainsbury's then.... :jester:

I hope you are right about the points being tied to places like the NRM and not shops, but only time will tell with that one. I don't know about the concessions further than the ones they shut earlier this year.

While I understand your point about pre-grouping/grouping models, to be fair to Bachmann some of their more recent collectors club locos have been BR era (End of steam 4MT, Early BR Patriot, Redmire 20, XP64 47).

My concern is always for retailers on which the hobby relies for it's survival, but if they remain unaffected and if the new style club works out well for both Hornby and it's members, great. :)

Alex

I think he meant the "free" wagons that are part of your membership.

Most seem to be wagon manufacturers advertising liveries that aren't really much use on layouts set pre war either.

Jason

Guest Midland Mole

I think he meant the "free" wagons that are part of your membership.

Most seem to be wagon manufacturers advertising liveries that aren't really much use on layouts set pre war either.

Ohhhh, well he is probably right then. I don't really have much experience with the free/CC wagons from the two companies. :)

Alex

I only joined the Bachmann one because they had a model I wanted and so far it's worked out fine.

So I'll wait and how this develops. I believe last time it was all Railroad stuff rather than the latest models, that's not really for me. But exclusive models like H Class and Adams Radial tanks may be tempting.

Jason

I only joined the Bachmann one because they had a model I wanted and so far it's worked out fine.

So I'll wait and how this develops. I believe last time it was all Railroad stuff rather than the latest models, that's not really for me. But exclusive models like H Class and Adams Radial tanks may be tempting.

Jason

Before the last incarnation of the Hornby Club went belly-up, as well as Railroad models like the 0-4-0s, the Jinty and the Terriers there was also the BoB "Manston" and the white-roofed "Flying Scotsman", which were mainstream locos and both in BR liveries. On the other hand the wagons on offer were lower-tier Railroad and correspondingly dire!  The club magazine improved towards the end too.

I must admit that I only joined the Club at that time to get Manston and the two Terriers, which were considerably less expensive than the catalogue equivalents.  I never had any occasion to buy anything with the club discount, it was always cheaper to shop around the retailers.

I'll wait until the club models are revealed before making a decision. At present, the benefits of club membership don't make the club subscription attractive.

Edited by Hroth