Mogul N class 32-154A - Chimney on back to front?

Phatbob

• RMweb Gold

At the recent Wakefield show I became the owner of one of the current release of the 00 scale N class mogul.  But not for long.  Having opened the box to test it I discovered that the chimney was on back to front, so it went back to the trader for a refund. (The exploded diagram supplied showed that it wasn't a separate part, so I was unwilling to try and pull it out and turn it around).  Last weekend at the model show in Poynton I found a couple more for sale, but both had the same fault.  The one on Hatton's website has the same defect too.

Are they all like that?

If so, why did Bachmann release them for sale?
Do any RMwebbers know of any retailer who's got stock of Mogul Ns in 00 with the late BR crest that are of merchantable quality and would they please let me know?
Cash waiting! :-)

• RMweb Gold

Looking at photos of previous releases it looks to me as if the chimney is a seperate moulding even though that isn't shown on the Bachmann diagram. Don't know how easy it would be to remove though. I agree its is definately wrong way around on the hattons website. I wonder whether they will withdraw the model or offer to exchange the body? I noticed at Warley at least one trader had the bodies of double chimney Green Arrows and Std 5 73050 with the wrong cab doors - both previous errors by Bachmann that were recalled.

Sounds like an opportunity beckoning for my 'Will Turn Funnel' service.

Given that this model has previously been produced with the chimney in the right orientation, and with the BR 4MT type chimney, I am going to guess that it is a separate part; none of Bach's exploded diagrams for OO that I have looked at ever show component detail of the bodywork.

Sounds like an opportunity beckoning for my 'Will Turn Funnel' service.

Given that this model has previously been produced with the chimney in the right orientation, and with the BR 4MT type chimney, I am going to guess that it is a separate part; none of Bach's exploded diagrams for OO that I have looked at ever show component detail of the bodywork.

Not for the first time- a batch of Farish 3MTs was done with the dome on backwards giving a slope forwards on the top.

It is quite difficult to achieve (at least on the 3MT) as the peg under the dome is handed so it can't go on backwards without a deal of force.  I assume the Mogul is no different in this respect.

Someone must have upset the assembly operative so he/she rammed them on the wrong way.....

All the very best

Les

My last N also came with the chimney round the wrong way.

Fortunately it is a simple push fit and easy to pull off and put the right way around.

I wrapped some tissue round it first, then used a pair of thin nosed pliers and gently waggled it side to side. It came off quite easily.

• 1 year later...

I've just got one of the 32-154A batch currently on the Hattons site and will need to turn the chimney round. I had a word with Hattons - apparently the whole batch are wrong. Asked them to talk to the Bachmann rep about QC... 

Does anyone make a brass chimney? In the old days we just cut off the offending part and replaced it with a nice casting and go on our merry way. I could use another N but only if in Southern Bulleid sunshine with straight side tender.

Archived