Hornby 2015 Announcements now made

Andy Y

I contacted Hornby last July after the release of Gadwell (which had the incorrect lettering) in relation to the A3 Booklaw and the reply I got was that design team have confirmed the model will be correct on release. I am hopeful this will be correct but recent issues such as the recent executive HST mean we cannot take this as a guarantee. I just hope they are correct as the Hornby A3/4 is a great model.

• 2 months later...

And now we have China devaluing the Yuan......stay tuned for this important message?

Oh it's only 2%....I doubt Hornby, Bachmann, Oxford, etc. will adjust prices...

And now we have China devaluing the Yuan......stay tuned for this important message?

Oh yes they will - UP !!!!

Brit 15

• RMweb Premium

Kader's trading currency is the US$ and they report their result in HK$.  Many raw materials and sub assemblies will be purchased in US$.

The Yuan has very little to do with anything very much as far as they are concerned I suspect.

Kader's trading currency is the US$ and they report their result in HK$.  Many raw materials and sub assemblies will be purchased in US$.

The Yuan has very little to do with anything very much as far as they are concerned I suspect.

Kader's employees are now mainland Chinese and will be paid in Yuan not HK or US $.  But I seriously doubt there will be any direct reflection in UK prices and almost certainly not on Bachmann USA prices.

• RMweb Premium

Kader's employees are now mainland Chinese and will be paid in Yuan not HK or US $.  But I seriously doubt there will be any direct reflection in UK prices and almost certainly not on Bachmann USA prices.

No you only get to hear about inflationary factors as reasons for putting prices up. When there are deflationary factors, price of oil, plastics, currency..........silence! Oh course if we had a section of the model railway press that held manufacturers to account it might be different.

• RMweb Premium

No you only get to hear about inflationary factors as reasons for putting prices up. When there are deflationary factors, price of oil, plastics, currency..........silence! Oh course if we had a section of the model railway press that held manufacturers to account it might be different.

What sort of "holding to account" would you suggest?

If Hornby was making fantastic profits on model railways then you could argue that - despite competition - their prices were unreasonably high and that Something Should Be Done. Somehow. But we know they aren't doing all that well.

Maybe Bachmann's costs are lower given much of the work is done outside the UK. But if they could be charging less and have chosen not to, isn't that up to them? They are, after all, selling luxuries into a competitive market and nobody has to buy from them if they don't want to.

I'm not a believer that the free market is the correct way to deliver all goods and services. But it seems a pretty good way in this case.

• RMweb Gold

The only people who can "hold the manufacturers to account" are we, the customers. 

Railway models are non-essential items purchased for pleasure. Same as package holidays, sports cars, tickets to the opera etc., all of which part people from some of the money that is left over after they have covered the costs of life's essentials.

If I don't consider such a product offers value for money, I just don't buy it or, I might like two but will make do with one. Either course is the result of a rational consumer choice. If I can't resist it buying one of everything despite the cost, that's my problem, just like any other addiction.

If enough people adjust their purchasing habits, the manufacturers will change their behaviour but, of course, they have options other than simply reducing prices.  

Hornby don't HAVE to make model trains any more than we HAVE to buy them.

John

• RMweb Premium

What sort of "holding to account" would you suggest?

Well asking some basic questions by the model railway press would be a start . I think you'll also find much of Hornbys woes are to do with lack of delivery of product. If they could have delivered them as they planned the business would be pretty profitable.

But actually Hornby are not the worst culprits here. It looks like that they do recognise there is a limit to enthusiasts largesse. Items like TTS are an indication of this .

But Dunsignalling is exactly right. Vote with your feet is the ultimate holding to account.

You can always buy some Hornby shares and go to the agm and exercise your rights as a shareholder to ask the management team questions

As it happens, their shares have performed quite well over the last year. Up from c70p to just over 100p. If you'd brought a £100 or so of shares then, the gain would have more than paid any price increase (exc dealing costs)

If things go "POP" over in China big style, then the cost of model trains here in the UK will be the last thing to worry about.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/china-business/11799083/Markets-reel-as-investors-fear-worst-of-Chinese-slowdown-is-yet-to-come.html

Edited to add

My Lord, things have gone "POP" over there, breaking news watch the video

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/11799581/Huge-explosions-rock-Chinese-city.html

Brit15

As predicted, the world's stock markets are taking a pummeling today - a much more substantial impact than anything in our hobby.

The reaction to the almost inevitable devaluation of the yuan is typical stock market hysteria.  Two percent is really neither here nor there in global trade, particularly for products made in China for foreign companies to sell.  The problem, if any, is when a product is made in China and then sold to the Chinese.  This is because the foreign company will stick to its pricing even though much of the cost of the product is in yuan.  I see this evening out quickly and anyone long in stocks will benefit from not panicking.

The problem is the short term investors' need to "make a market" in any and all changes that come over the horizon.

Edit:  added an apostrophe

• RMweb Premium

Well asking some basic questions by the model railway press would be a start . 

What questions? (Serious question...I'm curious, not trying to start an argument...)

I think you'll also find much of Hornbys woes are to do with lack of delivery of product. If they could have delivered them as they planned the business would be pretty profitable.

I agree that lack of product has been a big problem for them. But Hornby has overheads to cover. If they have a limited amount of "stuff" to sell, they need to make more profit per unit (and can probably get away with higher prices because of the scarcity of supply). I don't see an argument that - overall - they are ripping people off. If their supply problems vanish, they keep their prices as they are, and suddenly become wildly profitable, then I can understand people grumbling.

But it's quite possible that if they can move more they will reduce prices. If I recall correctly, the Hornby blue spot fish van RRP came down from something like £15 to £11 before they were in the shops, supposedly due to a reduction in manufacture costs. Maybe...or maybe they were able to secure a large run and someone gambled that by bringing the price down and making more they'd sell enough extra to make more money overall. If so, I hope they were right because I like the price. 

(Off topic....they still sell the 4 wheel coach for £15! I'd love to know the profit margin on those compared to the fish vans.)

And yes, TTS does seem to be an indication that they realise the need to find a way of reducing costs.

In no way am I intending to trivialize the events in Tianjin, my sympathies go to those affected by last night's explosions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-33915683

Seeing the containers thrown about by the explosions I did wonder if this is the port through which Hornby, or others would export from their factories in China. After a brief search in Wikipedia I discovered that the Hornby manufacturing is done much further south in Guangdong. Bachmann manufacturing is also in the south of the country in Dongguan.

It is possible that a huge container port like Tianjin may have transferred containers after shipping within China, but that would just be conjecture.

As others have said, it is the economic situation that is more likely to affect modellers.

Again, none of this is remotely important compared the devastating events affecting people in one of the world's largest cities at this time.

Jamie

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ref my post #66 on 17/12/2014 and Fenman/Paul's post #60 regarding R9821 Skaledale Wayside Halt Building.

I bought one of these on Saturday at Bure Valley Models (excellent price too). It's a delightful little building and quite clearly based on the structure at Brockford on the present MSLR. It's a super little structure for a rural diorama.

The only compromise I can see is that the windows on the front have three vertical panes whereas images on the web show the actual building has two. But really this doesn't detract but could upset the 'window-pane counters' amongst us.

Regards

Richard Slipper

Norwich

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the email through from Hornby that R3263 Class 50 50024 Vanguard had arrived into stock.

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-co-co-diesel-electric-vanguard-class-50.html

This one sure looks a beast! :D.

21765567953_348b9a19ee_c.jpg

Hornby Class 50, 50024 "Vanguard" BR Blue (Circa 1986) by BritishRail60062, on Flickr.

Nice one Hornby! :).

Archived