Hornby 2015 Announcements now made

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

For most people at least the entry points to the hobby are Hornby and Bachmann.While you may scratch build or kit build I bet most of us do not. That's why I was quite deliberate in saying the majority of people could be priced out the hobby

I think the point being made was that many of us have accumulated enough models over the years to ensure our continuing enjoyment of the hobby whether or not we can afford to purchase very many new ones.

Different, of course, for the newcomer and the collector, both of whom are generally more dependent on new acquisitions.

John

For most people at least the entry points to the hobby are Hornby and Bachmann.While you may scratch build or kit build I bet most of us do not. That's why I was quite deliberate in saying the majority of people could be priced out the hobby

No I don't scratch build, and I only make up the occasional kit.  Kit building to a good standard is expensive, always has been.  What I do is sometimes add a few of my own details to RTR models.  But what I've got already isn't going to stop working if I don't buy anything else.  I will of course, but I'll do what I've always done and just be selective and only buy what's appropriate for my layout.  Just because Bachmann or Hornby brings out XYZ doesn't mean you have to buy it, afterall if they hadn't brought it out you wouldn't be able to buy it.

• RMweb Gold

Why is kit building expensive. If you build your own the skills you have only get better. Plus if you think after a few kits that the frist one could have been built or painted better than strep it back down and do it again. Part or the beauty of brass or white metal kits or scratch building. And as for the cost of tools that can be got bit by bit. And the total cost is not much more than a sound fitted locomotive. And that's with chassis jig soldering station and air brush.

• RMweb Gold

Why is kit building expensive. If you build your own the skills you have only get better. Plus if you think after a few kits that the frist one could have been built or painted better than strep it back down and do it again. Part or the beauty of brass or white metal kits or scratch building. And as for the cost of tools that can be got bit by bit. And the total cost is not much more than a sound fitted locomotive. And that's with chassis jig soldering station and air brush.

In pure cash terms, a kit-built loco will, by the time one factors in wheels, motor, gearbox etc., almost always cost more than an equivalent r-t-r model. Increasing r-t-r prices are narrowing that gap where smaller, simpler prototypes are concerned but I don't envisage ever being able to kit-build a Pacific in OO for anywhere near the price of a Hornby one.

That's not to say one shouldn't do so for the sheer pleasure of it but, as a general principle, the availability of an acceptable r-t-r model of a loco I want (even if I need to tweak it a bit) will cause me to direct my d-I-y efforts towards something I can only obtain by building it.

Wagons are a different matter, kits are very reasonably priced and only require rudimentary tools to make a decent job of them. Even allowing for extra bits like metal buffer heads, the overall cost seldom exceeds that of ready-made ones by a significant margin.

John

..as a general principle, the availability of an acceptable r-t-r model of a loco I want (even if I need to tweak it a bit) will cause me to direct my d-I-y efforts towards something I can only obtain by building it...

Certainly for the LNER/BR(ER) modeller this is an entirely necessary principle: so very many loco classes, so little time... And that's before one has looked at the coaches and the rolling stock and the...

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if Hornby would consider making a Bulleid 4DD to go with their 2HAL and 2BIL.

Not a part of the 2015 announcements as far as I am aware - and that is the subject of this thread.

And the DD would be a very unwise model. As a prototype it was very unsuccessful, having station dwell-times that made it an embarrassment, particularly at London Bridge, where people both join and alight. And it was on the limit of the kinematic envelope, and thus restricted in its availability pretty much to the Bexleyheath Line. Not one for a mass-market manufacturer to contemplate.

I'd buy one (a 4DD), but have to agree with the above... commercial suicide. I'm struggling to think of anything more "niche". Modellers of SR 3rd rail have never had it so good (VEP, EPB, MLV, BIL, HAL, CEP, BEL etc) and there are still a few more "mainstream" EMU types that could hit the shelves one day (SUB, COR to name but a few).

Pity they never save that coach, do you know where that photo was taken?.

IIRC, there are two coaches in existence. The shot above was taken at the Northants Ironstone Railway. The other is literally in a field somewhere near Ashford in Kent. I'm assuming they're both still there.

..the DD ... As a prototype it was very unsuccessful, having station dwell-times that made it an embarrassment, particularly at London Bridge, where people both join and alight. And it was on the limit of the kinematic envelope, and thus restricted in its availability...

Modern equipment could overcome all this.

Make each upper crampartment floor a lift then it can have its own doors to platform. The walking freight would have to be carefully trained to stand on signal if they wished to disembark at a station stop, to avoid trying to leave a seat from a height.

And it is simple enough to reduce the size of the upper crampartment to provide normal route availability. A half price 'hard class' ticket would then be obtainable to those prepared to sacrifice comfort and some safety in the interests of saving money. There would be sufficient takers! An RFID tag in the hard class tickets and readers in the lower comfypartments would halt the train until folks were in the accomodation they had paid for.

I shall apply for a patent immediately.

• RMweb Gold

IIRC, there are two coaches in existence. The shot above was taken at the Northants Ironstone Railway. The other is literally in a field somewhere near Ashford in Kent. I'm assuming they're both still there.

Yes indeed Northants Iron Railway 12th Jan 2012

• 2 weeks later...

I received an e-mail from Hattons today stating that they expect to receive the Hornby Adams Radial R334 - BR Late Crest "on or after" Monday 17th August 2015.        

Well, we all know that such date estimates may (or may not) change radically, but with an Oxford Rail wholesaler (Ayreys)  stating that their radials are due in the "3rd Quarter" of 2015, it looks like the race is on.

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=98115&utm_source=ItemDeliveryDateUpdated&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=R3334

-----------------------------

R3335 (LSWR livery) is due on or after Thursday 1st October

R3333 (BR Early livery) is due on or after Thursday 1st October

(All Hornby Adams Radials are presently costed at £111.10)

============================

Hattons is listing the Oxford Rail Adams Radials as £88 with a delivery "between October 2015 & December 2015" (Contrary to what the Ayrey website states).

Could someone explain to me why you can buy the Javelin  power car and dummy car and two coaches for £169.99 on the Hornby web site, But for just one HST Power car and Dummy cost £209.99?, am i missing something here?.

Darren

• RMweb Premium

Could someone explain to me why you can buy the Javelin power car and dummy car and two coaches for £169.99 on the Hornby web site, But for just one HST Power car and Dummy cost £209.99?, am i missing something here?.

Darren

Yes - you are not comparing like for like

Firstly the Javalin has only a single variant and a very smooth body profile with very little in the way of 'fiddly bits' while the HST power cars, thanks to their 40 years of service undergone quite a few modifications which have to be accounted for in the tooling (lots of insert able slides for example). Secondly the Javlin is basically a "railroad" model with a few extras (better paint job and the vehicle interiors added) making relatively cheap to produce. Of course because of its smooth, sleek design the "railroad effect" on the Javlin is not nearly as noticeable as on say a steamer or a modernisation plan diesel.

Yes - you are not comparing like for like

Firstly the Javalin has only a single variant and a very smooth body profile with very little in the way of 'fiddly bits' while the HST power cars, thanks to their 40 years of service undergone quite a few modifications which have to be accounted for in the tooling (lots of insert able slides for example). Secondly the Javlin is basically a "railroad" model with a few extras (better paint job and the vehicle interiors added) making relatively cheap to produce. Of course because of its smooth, sleek design the "railroad effect" on the Javlin is not nearly as noticeable as on say a steamer or a modernisation plan diesel.

Don't forget the Javelin has just one bogie powered by a 5-pole motor like a Class 153 also. The Javelin is far lighter in weight meaning a metal chassis isn't present also.

• RMweb Premium

Also the HST packs are 2 identical locos, one minus a motor. You get the detailing, cab interior, & lighting in a second loco for basically 1 & 1/3 the price of one of the new class 60's, 50's, 67's etc.

• RMweb Premium

I think the Hornby 395 is a very good example of an intelligently designed model. The model is more than acceptable as an enthusiasts model and captures the look of the prototype very well whilst also being built to be within range of the train set market. I got one for my boy and have to admit I love it myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Interesting... The Hornby website no longer includes the Silver Jubilee Collection of A4s under their individual catalogue numbers (R3306/7/8/9) and instead shows them as being sold as the 80th Anniversary Limited Edition Set R3337 with a price of £579.99 http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/lner-4-6-2-siver-jubilee-80th-anniversary-limited-edition-assortment.html?___SID=U. Expected in October 2015.

So it looks as though the locos will not be available individually, at least from Hornby. Invicta Model Rail and Kernow MRC that I buy from are now only selling the set of 4, so those with pre-orders for individual models may want to check whether the order will still be fulfilled.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting... The Hornby website no longer includes the Silver Jubilee Collection of A4s under their individual catalogue numbers (R3306/7/8/9) and instead shows them as being sold as the 80th Anniversary Limited Edition Set R3337 with a price of £579.99 http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/lner-4-6-2-siver-jubilee-80th-anniversary-limited-edition-assortment.html?___SID=U. Expected in October 2015.

So it looks as though the locos will not be available individually, at least from Hornby. Invicta Model Rail and Kernow MRC that I buy from are now only selling the set of 4, so those with pre-orders for individual models may want to check whether the order will still be fulfilled.

Er...did it ever?

Archived