Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

For those who dislike Yodel

The Guardian are reporting that yodel is experiencing delays ;

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/dec/11/amazon-yodel-christmas-parcel-delivery-backlog

Christmas deliveries face delay as Yodel warns of parcel backlog

Company, which handles parcels on behalf of major retailers, says deliveries could take three days more than planned

Fears of a festive parcel logjam have escalated after Yodel, which claims to be Britain’s leading delivery company after Royal Mail, admitted it had stopped collecting parcels from retailers as it struggles to deliver the vast volume of online Christmas shopping.

After the splurge in spending in the so-called Black Friday last week, when 24-hour promotions pushed sales up 50% higher than expected, and the seasonal rush in online orders peaking on Monday, shoppers now face a wait to see if gifts and parcels arrive in time ahead of Christmas, with Yodel saying deliveries could take three days more than planned.

Yodel pointed the finger at poor forecasting from retailers for its difficulties. The courier firm has told many retail clients that it will not be collecting parcels until next week as it attempts to deal with the backlog. Yodel executive chairman Dick Stead wrote to clients including retailers explaining the suspension of collections until Monday, saying: “This is not a decision that we have taken lightly but one that we have had to take to protect service levels.” It delivers parcels on behalf of retailers including Argos, Amazon, Boots and Tesco, among others.

A message to customers awaiting deliveries posted on the firm’s website warns: “We are continuing to receive extremely high numbers of parcels as a result of the seasonal sales. We’re working hard to get your orders to you asap, but some may experience a slight delay in arriving.”

Yodel, which was named Britain’s worst delivery service in a poll of 9,000 MoneySavingExpert.com readers earlier this year, has told its larger clients, who can guarantee at least one full trailer of parcels, they may have have a collection on Friday. Argos said deliveries would not be affected, although customers wanting to return goods would be impacted.

Having sustained a barrage of criticism for delayed deliveries in 2012, Yodel had put a range of plans in place to ready itself for a surge in deliveries. It was expecting to handle 15% more parcels than last Christmas but despite investing in another 13 handling sites, sourcing an extra 200 HGVs to ship goods from client warehouses to its own sorting centres, and extending working hours, Yodel appears to be currently unable to meet demand.

The company said in a statement: “The recent, well documented, Black Friday, Cyber Monday and other retail promotions have resulted in unexpectedly high parcel volumes across the carrier industry. On these key days we have experienced volumes that were up to 26% over the forecast from our clients.

“We would like to reassure consumers that there is no suspension to our delivery service. We are working with all our clients to manage the flow of fresh parcels into our network with a 24-48 hour hold on some of the collections coming into our sort centres. Deliveries will continue throughout this period, but some may experience short delays of between 24-72 hours. We would like to apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

“We are working closely with our clients on their forecasted parcel volumes and we are confident that the action we are taking will ensure that normal service is resumed after the weekend.”

Yodel’s joint venture with PayPoint, CollectPlus, which lets consumers collect or return shopping orders via local stores, is telling customers to expect possible delays of up to three days. A warning on its website reads: “We are still seeing higher than planned parcel volumes on all our services, unfortunately resulting in some deliveries taking up to three days longer than usual.”

The unexpected demand has also wrongfooted retailers including Tesco and Marks & Spencer, who admitted earlier this week that they were struggling to clear backlogs of orders after Black Friday.

Customers have also reported that internet retailers such as Amazon have been forced to amend next day delivery pledges.

The transport and logistics industries called on the government recently to tackle a critical shortage of drivers, with hauliers struggling to match rates paid by supermarkets to secure deliveries of stock ahead of the biggest season for consumption.

The transport and logistics industries called on the government recently to tackle a critical shortage of drivers, with hauliers struggling to match rates paid by supermarkets to secure deliveries of stock ahead of the biggest season for consumption.

I love the way that these companies always want 'the Government' to sort out the problems of their own making! It's simple, if you want a skilled workforce, put your hand in your pocket and train them. Oh, and treat them well - that way you'll hang on to them.

• RMweb Gold

Any non royal mail delivery companies annoy me, living in north Norfolk non of them have local depots and normally take parcels back to Norwich which is 25mls away others take them to Diss or thetford which are 40plus miles away. Local to me is less than 10mls. These companies should not be able to sell a service which they are not equipped to perform. Whether you like them or not at least royal mail or its parcel force subsidiary do provide a local service taking its undelivered parcels to local post offices. Sadly because of the competition from these cost cutting cowboys I can't see we will have post office in this country in 10 years time

Had an email from Hattons earlier today informing me that a recently dispatched parcel, via Yodel, will be delayed. Can't say I'm that bothered and the service I've had from a Yodel in the past has always been fine, their delivery driver's a decent guy.

Other service experiences are available....

I wonder if anyone thought of using RAIL for long distance movement ?

I remember seeing a cartoon many years ago with two people on a motorway bridge watching a long line of lorries pass by. One says to the other, "One day someone will have the idea of joining them all together and putting them on rails."

• RMweb Gold

I remember when I started on the railway putting parcels on DMUs at Middlesbrough station, nearly every service had them on. There must have been same day delivery on some routes in those days. Even into the sprinter and pacer era parcels were conveyed. That's why they had lockable compartments

I remember when I started on the railway putting parcels on DMUs at Middlesbrough station, nearly every service had them on. There must have been same day delivery on some routes in those days. Even into the sprinter and pacer era parcels were conveyed. That's why they had lockable compartments

Would love to hear more about that but this topic probably isn't the right place.

Yodel delays however explains why my eBay click and collect parcel hasn't got to my Argos yet...

Would love to hear more about that but this topic probably isn't the right place.

Yodel delays however explains why my eBay click and collect parcel hasn't got to my Argos yet...

doubt it Argos do there own distribution from huge rdcs dotted about the country know a couple of lads who work there 

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if anyone thought of using RAIL for long distance movement ?

I would imagine that Yodel's bottleneck is at their sortation centres rather than with the transport legs of the journey; extra lorries and vans are (relatively) easy to arrange, but their sorts will have a finite capacity of parcels per hour which they are able to process.

• RMweb Gold

Click and collect is a modern day version of rail express parcels where you could collect the parcel from your local railway station. Mind if they did it now it would be collect the shipped item from your community train station!!

• RMweb Gold

After reading this thread I should be thanking my lucky stars that my computer & its associated paraphernalia arrived on the day they were supposed to last week albeit a bit later in the day than they were scheduled to. 

Well at least it's only a parcel, an inanimate object free of emotion. It would be a lot worse if it was physical disability that you needed to either wait an eternity for treatment or travel many miles to have you freed from pain... ...at least that doesn't happen in the UK...

Oh wait...

Over in Eastern Counties lands (Cambs/Norfolk/Suffolk) we used to have this:

post-2049-0-05327500-1418671335.jpg

post-2049-0-76094200-1418671344.jpg

Used to be able to send your parcels anywhere that ECOC ran buses. A bit strange when you think about it really, a nationalised bus company competing with a nationalised Royal Mail, in the days when competion was taboo.

Even stranger thing, in those days, we had bus routes that went everywhere. Not any more. We have Grumpy Old Git bus passes to use on non-existent buses now though!

The bus was delivered in that livery and I believe lasted all its service life in the livery.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Well the royal mail have been getting their own back for years...

http://www.royalmail.com/you-home/your-community/postbus

By the way I hate Yodel with a vengeance  they always report that no one is in, for our house. even though the wife is always in...

Moral,   don't live on the end of a round in the middle of nowhere,

Though that's not quite right as Nowhere is about ten miles away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowhere,_Norfolk

Over in Eastern Counties lands (Cambs/Norfolk/Suffolk) we used to be able to send your parcels anywhere that ECOC ran buses. A bit strange when you think about it really, a nationalised bus company competing with a nationalised Royal Mail, in the days when competion was taboo.

Even stranger thing, in those days, we had bus routes that went everywhere. Not any more. We have Grumpy Old Git bus passes to use on non-existent buses now though!

The bus was delivered in that livery and I believe lasted all its service life in the livery.

Stewart

The independent Nottinghshire based operator Barton Transport did the same with some very characterful vehicles

https://www.flickr.com/photos/guy_arab_uf/5822260960/in/set-72157626941411718

Archived