On3 mining layout on a door.

allan downes

Allan

Just managed to get into the loft today to put the decs away, brought the magazines down and started going through them for any water tower models.  Looking at photos of water tanks and I think I have found the problem.  The end of the spout should bend down with an elbow rather than a mitre joint.  The spout end should also be angled so that it is horizontal with the loco filler when it is in the down position.

I have a kit here for Baker Tower off the C&S and that has a cast spout in it, I will photograph it with a ruler along side to give an idea of the size and shape.

Also I have a drawing of the Denver Coaling stage here which I can scan.

Thanks LC, you're most helpful and most appreciated.

Look foreward to your pics so that I can rip my efforts apart and start again !

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

OK, so curiosity has got the better of me....

What make is the track in the pictures?

The title of this thread caught my eye as I model 0n3 and the buildings are superb but the track I can see is, I think, HO flexitrack and turnouts which makes this 0n30 and not 0n3. The sleeper spacing is wrong for the two commercially available 0n3 flexitrack (PSC & San Juan) and the only RtR turnouts currently available in 0n3 are from San Juan and are much bigger than the one I can nearly see in one photo.

[0n30 is 2ft 6" gauge using 16.5mm gauge track. 0n30 track is available and the sleeper spacing is larger than in the pictures which make me think its HO being used. 0n3 is 3ft gauge and the track is 3/4" (or 19mm near enough) and has fatter sleepers more widely spaced than that in the pictures]

OK, so curiosity has got the better of me....

What make is the track in the pictures?

The title of this thread caught my eye as I model 0n3 and the buildings are superb but the track I can see is, I think, HO flexitrack and turnouts which makes this 0n30 and not 0n3. The sleeper spacing is wrong for the two commercially available 0n3 flexitrack (PSC & San Juan) and the only RtR turnouts currently available in 0n3 are from San Juan and are much bigger than the one I can nearly see in one photo.

[0n30 is 2ft 6" gauge using 16.5mm gauge track. 0n30 track is available and the sleeper spacing is larger than in the pictures which make me think its HO being used. 0n3 is 3ft gauge and the track is 3/4" (or 19mm near enough) and has fatter sleepers more widely spaced than that in the pictures]

The track here is Peco code 100 but when it's all well and truly bedded into the ground and blinded out by shale and general fallout one will be hard pressed to tell what it is.

Anyway ngtrains.com, many thanks for the information, most appreciated.

Cheers.

Allan

• RMweb Gold

The track here is Peco code 100 but when it's all well and truly bedded into the ground and blinded out by shale and general fallout one will be hard pressed to tell what it is.

Anyway ngtrains.com, many thanks for the information, most appreciated.

Cheers.

Allan

Yes, that's fine but my point was that this topic is misleadingly named.  Its incorrectly titled 0n3 when its actually 0n30 (or to give it its correct NMRA, and not Bachmannised, title On2 1/2)

I don't get involved in technicalities, I just build layouts - fast.

And I bet none of dat On3 whatever track don't rest on plastic sleepers either - and  I also bet Durango and Silverton never ran Shays with plastic fire boxes !

But it happens on misleading topics...

Cheers.

Allan

Yes, that's fine but my point was that this topic is misleadingly named.  Its incorrectly titled 0n3 when its actually 0n30 (or to give it its correct NMRA, and not Bachmannised, title On2 1/2)

Not quite correct Paul, it has been known as 0n30 in the States since the 1960's not 0n21/2.  True we have used 0n30 since the Bachmann stock was introduced.

Allan

Having a job sending the pdf's of the Water Tank to you.  Need to spend a little more time reducing the file size.  No chance with the Coaling Stage (file way to big), also you may need to rethink the Coaling Stage as you have no facilities to load the coal into the hopper. They had a raised track behind the Coaling Stage where drop door gondolas dropped the coal into a bin.  It was then hoisted up on a electrically operated hoist (Building on top of the stage housing the winch) and dumped into the hopper.

The bucket ran on two rails mounted on the back of the tower.

Loconuts

Allan - your work is superb, what do you use to weather the wood?

Regarding track and gauge - I would have thought the gauge would be determined by what you intend to run on it?  My On30 layout uses Micro Engineering Code 70 (16.5mm)

Below are some pics of the Banta craftsman kit with the cast spout that came in the kit.  It looks to be about the right proportion.

post-7723-0-89191300-1421249885_thumb.jpgpost-7723-0-81671200-1421249953_thumb.jpg

Regarding track and gauge - I would have thought the gauge would be determined by what you intend to run on it?  My On30 layout uses Micro Engineering Code 70 (16.5mm)

Below are some pics of the Banta craftsman kit with the cast spout that came in the kit.  It looks to be about the right proportion.

attachicon.gifIMG_2044e.jpgattachicon.gifWP_20141217_20_59_43_Pro.jpg

Looks good Jeff, I think the spout is the same one used in the Banta 'Baker Tower' kit.

Loconuts

attachicon.gifIMG_2044e.jpgattachicon.gifWP_20141217_20_59_43_Pro.jpg

Hi Jeff.

Weathering wood.

All the major frame work is made out of American Bass wood and coloured thus.

The strips are soaked  with COLRON GEORGEON MID OAK WOOD DYE, in a shallow tin tray then whilst still wet, laid out onto a board and lightly sprayed over with matt white acrylic where after a while the dye will bleed through the paint leaving a perfect weathered effect.

Planking.

This is mahogany half mil x5mil strip glued down to a 2mm card building shell with superglue leaving a slight gap between the planks then sprayed with matt white acrylic and when dry, dry brushed with COLRON JACOBEAN DARK OAK WOOD DYE..

Both dyes are available on Amazon or Ebay.

Re track gauge, I'm running Bachmann On30 on Peco code 100 and once ballasted and gunjed up you won't know what track it is !

Cheers.

Allan

Allan,

Your weathering certainly doesn't need any improvement but you may be interested in these products that I use http://www.micromark.com/age-it-easy-gray-3-1and2-fl-oz,7567.htmlthese are spirit based and probably cannot be exported easily. I usually finish the structure before applying these stains. The gray looks like old exposed creosoted wood whereas the brown looks more like aged untreated wood - using the two together you can get some interesting variations.

• RMweb Premium

Allan,

Your weathering certainly doesn't need any improvement but you may be interested in these products that I use http://www.micromark.com/age-it-easy-gray-3-1and2-fl-oz,7567.htmlthese are spirit based and probably cannot be exported easily.

A very similar product is available from Paul Martin of EDM Models - the USA based manufacturer of 'Silverwood' gave Paul the recipe and now he brews his own.

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Glues/gluestools.html#Potions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In case you are wondering why there's been no further progress reports it's because the layout was abandoned near completion.

That now means that all the structures - trestle bridge, mine buildings, engine sheds - are for sale along with unused boxed Bachmann Shay, Climax, two porters and nine wood sided dump trucks - and a boxed mint vintage Hammond & Morgan Duette Controller.

Please PM  or Email me for further details. Thank you.

Cheers.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived