Hornby announce Maunsell S15

Andy Y

Following my review of the Hornby Maunsell S15 Class, in BR Early Black Livery, here's a quick running session featuring her hauling a BR Permanent Way Train, which these locomotives would of often been seen on in service over the Southern Region.
As can be seen she is a superb performer, handling the mixed rake with ease, whilst running smoothly and silently at the same time. 

Hope you enjoy! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14dorHvnu_A

post-20663-0-42870500-1445868815_thumb.gif

After all the great pictures of the BR versions and seeing that Hornby appeared to have sold out on their website, I couldn't take the risk of missing out and have pre ordered the SR version from Hattons.

If there are any Br black version's left after Christmas I might have to relivery one into Bulleid sunshine black unless Hornby announce one.

It's been a very expensive few months for Southern modellers.

Atb

Nik

After all the great pictures of the BR versions and seeing that Hornby appeared to have sold out on their website, I couldn't take the risk of missing out and have pre ordered the SR version from Hattons.

If there are any Br black version's left after Christmas I might have to relivery one into Bulleid sunshine black unless Hornby announce one.

It's been a very expensive few months for Southern modellers.

Atb

Nik

Not to mention even more expensive for those of us who model BR/Southern and London Underground (i.e. me!). :D

My late crest S15 is winging its way from Rails of Sheffield even as I type this - with any luck, it may even be waiting for me when I get home from work this afternoon.

Well was it waiting for you? All I managed to receive today from the same posty was a box of wine....but then again I haven't ordered any trains in ages.

Edited by DougN
  • Like 1

Well was it waiting for you? All I managed to receive today from the same posty was a box of wine....but then again I haven't ordered any trains in ages.

Wine!!!

Much better than the bl**dy phone bill waiting for me!   :O  :jester:

No, the Rails parcel wasn't waiting for me ... but there was one from Hattons, together with a water bill and an electricity one. The wine somehow sounds more inviting than the latter two! :D

Rails parcel WAS waiting for me on Monday evening! Unboxed, run-in, and details attached today. Superb! A word of warning; the cylinder drain cocks are extremely long, ( like the Arfur), and front footsteps are out for all except those with the gentlest of curves. Again, very much like the Arthur. Loco. is supersmooth, quiet, and powerful! What more can I say?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In overcame the steps problem with my N15 by fitting them to the outside of the footplating rather that the inside. From a distance you can't notice the difference and that gives it a bit extra play either side.

• RMweb Gold

BR Late and SR Versions should now be hitting the shelves...I know the BR Late has been featured here before so here's the SR version:

22329903069_525a570a53_z.jpg

R3327 by Derails Models, on Flickr

Apologies for the picture quality, taken on a cameraphone due to the shop camera's unavailability...

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

BR Late and SR Versions should now be hitting the shelves...I know the BR Late has been featured here before so here's the SR version:

22329903069_525a570a53_z.jpg

R3327 by Derails Models, on Flickr

Apologies for the picture quality, taken on a cameraphone due to the shop camera's unavailability...

Dan, how much will you be selling them for? On the off chance I get to Perrygrove in the next couple of weeks, even though I asked not to be rostered this week.

• RMweb Gold

Those big Maunsell tenders look far happier with the late BR crest, don't they?

I haven't had time to run my one in yet, let alone think about what I'm going to do with it.

Glenn

Funny you should say that.With late crest,everything looks in proportion.The early cycling lion appears somehow too small for its tender.

• Like 1

In overcame the steps problem with my N15 by fitting them to the outside of the footplating rather that the inside. From a distance you can't notice the difference and that gives it a bit extra play either side.

In the past, I have fitted the steps in the proper place but angled outwards a little. That has worked with N15s and BR standards. I also tend to cut the draincock pipework shorter so it stops just short of the steps and can be pushed outwards by the bogie wheels as they swing into a curve.

• RMweb Gold

A freind brought one into the club last night & the tender filler caps were both in opposite positions so one faced forward 1 backward. Is this prototypical or is it a cock up & has anyone else had this problem.

Correct for the flat-sided tender, has actually been mentioned on here in an earlier post.

Those big Maunsell tenders look far happier with the late BR crest, don't they?

Absolutely, I took one look at the Hornby photos and decided straightaway it had to be the late crest version.  I was delighted to hear that the wait isn't as long as expected. Normally I go for early crest locos as a preference.. I am out to get mine tomorrow, then it's a van train behind it for me.

• RMweb Premium

Ordered the SR version (R3327) from Rails yesterday and about 21hrs later here she is courtesy of ParcelForce.

(Never used Rails before - excellent service)

Side on:

post-6208-0-04724600-1446107552_thumb.jpg

Tender top:

post-6208-0-72645500-1446107590_thumb.jpg

Front view:

post-6208-0-18260200-1446107642_thumb.jpg

Really looks nice in the flesh. The finish is excellent

Photos were taken with the natural light at 08:00 this morning

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 8