Hornby announce Maunsell S15

Andy Y

SR Maunsell S15

The early Urie versions of the S15 were introduced before grouping but the Hornby model will cover many permutations of the second and third series of the S15 as built under Maunsell under Southern ownership. The S15 was an all-rounder for the Southern conceived as a heavy freight loco but were frequently found on passenger services especially relief services. They lasted through to 1966 in British Railways service with no less than six examples in preservation.

S15%20-%20Lincolnian(Brian).jpg

Copyright and courtesy of Lincolnian (Brian)

Hornby plan to produce several variations with detail variations and different cab/tenders permutations.

S15%20-%202.jpg

S15%20-%201.jpg

S15%20-%203.jpg

S15%20-%204.jpg

R3327  SR 4-6-0 Maunsell S15 Class - SR livery with Urie Bogie tender £134.99

R3327.jpg

R3328  BR 4-6-0 Maunsell S15 Class - BR early emblem livery with Maunsell flat sided bogie tender    £134.99

R3328.jpg

R3329  BR 4-6-0 Maunsell S15 Class - BR late emblem livery with Urie Bogie tender   £134.99

R3329.jpg

• Like 17

Great News. A logical extension of their existing range and hopefully a high quality model.

Do we know what running numbers will be produced?

On the basis of the varients shown, no Bluebell 847 this year (Maunsell bogie tender, SR Livery). less strain on my wallet, hopefully announced in the second batch once the inevitable first round gremlins are ironed out... :-p

(i.e. nothing immediately for me, but a 100% purchase in the future!)

• RMweb Gold

The actual running numbers have not yet been decided but I was told by Hornby on Monday that the SR version will be in lined olive green, though as the SR release is indicated as being a Urie tender version it wont as you correctly surmise be 847.

The specification that I discussed with Hornby brings it up to the same standard as the N15 release although the chassis is a totally new design style with 5 pole motor and twin flywheels.

Edited by Graham_Muz

I am just so happy about this announcement  -  an essential gap about to be closed (especially good that they seem  to be doing at least some variations).

I have voted, and voted  -  and moaned and moaned, so I must congratulate Hornby for doing the "right" thing.

Now a 4-COR from Bachmann for a reasonable price would mean  I will be pretty much set for my layout.

>

So, did these handsome brutes ever find their way to KX goods in the BR period? (I know the Q1 did!) Any excuse will do to legitimise occasionally running one of these, the best looking of all SR steam designs in my eyes.

I think they were too heavy for the Snow Hill route there were severe restrictions in steam days, it was mostly 0-6-0's, including J50's. The only cross London working on which I saw them frequently was the Feltham to Brent (Cricklewood) freights, with a nice view of them from Willesden shed yard, as they climbed to cross the WCML.

Concerning the 5000 gallon Urie tenders, were these not the same as those used on the N15s?

If so, are Hornby using the same Urie tender as they did for their N15s or are the CADs implying an all new Urie tender?

Here is the early crest straight sided Maunsell tender conversion I did 20 years ago (with a Q):

post-15098-0-67656100-1418853585_thumb.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, that's another £250 gone. Both BR versions required, on top of the 700, Radials and whatever Kernow throw at me......

Thank god I have at least one birthday next year......

Rob

• Like 1

The specification that I discussed with Hornby brings it up to the same standard as the N15 release although the chassis is a totally new design style with 5 pole motor and twin flywheels.

Twin flywheels? I will be very interested to see how that works in it for haulage capacity

Twin flywheels? I will be very interested to see how that works in it for haulage capacity

On my O1,  the flywheel was removed to make space for lead, for tractive purposes to enable a completely reliable restart at full load on the layout's ruling gradient. A lump of lead filling a void supplies much more mass than a brass flywheel which needs clearance and cannot reach into corners, and it is mass actng o the driven wheels that primarily determines tractive potential. (Note though that my control is by DCC which does far more for inertia by simulation than a small flywheel ever can.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

PooT! ....I want one but...... All eight wheel tenders, I want a six wheeler. I guess it'll be e-bay and hope *sighs*

I too would prefer a 6 wheeled tender, so will pass on the first releases and will wait and see. Hornby does both tenders for the N15 so I'm hopeful that it will appear in due course.

Or you could always get hold of a Schools tender, and renumber either 30833 or 30837, well for post 1961 anyway !! A class 700 was regular haulage for the daily 'Dorset Goods' out of Nine Elms (goods), until the class became extinct, then S15's replaced them - well most of the time, 'till they too all went to the breakers. :sungum: